Old 07-01-2021, 11:06 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwritesstuff View Post
unpopular opinion perhaps but in my eyes since the blair witch project, there's only been maybe 2 movies with decent 'found footage' elements

1) cloverfield
2)the 4th kind.

Everything else has been really unimpressive and makes me cringe
Fair enough. To each his own.
Old 07-05-2021, 07:48 PM
Immortal horror fan

I still haven't seen Cloverfield. That was one of those Bad Robot hype movies that just didn't interest me. I'll see it eventually though. I'm more interested in the sequels than the original.

I just remember Abrams hyping the Escape from LA poster image in the movie. And also seeing the usual scene in Abrams either directed or produced movies, which is the bunch of strangers pretending to have fun and some kind of party or gathering. It's just superficial to me.
Old 07-06-2021, 08:00 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalSlasher View Post
I still haven't seen Cloverfield. That was one of those Bad Robot hype movies that just didn't interest me. I'll see it eventually though. I'm more interested in the sequels than the original.

I just remember Abrams hyping the Escape from LA poster image in the movie. And also seeing the usual scene in Abrams either directed or produced movies, which is the bunch of strangers pretending to have fun and some kind of party or gathering. It's just superficial to me.
I hear ya. But I can just tell you about the movie.

I saw Cloverfield in the movie theatre which is a very unique experience. I wish you could see it on the big screen. Found footage naturally is mostly handheld close-up stuff. Seeing that on the big screen is a visual trip. Also, with Cloverfield, the director (Matt Reeves) had to get creative with shots to give a bit of a mesh between close-up and deeper field and wider shots.

Well, I don't expect you'll ever see it on the big screen, but hopefully you'll be able to make your first viewing as much of a theatre experience as you can... you know, your biggest screen, your best audio, at night, lights out, no distractions.

Anyway, the film itself... With the opening segment the director didn't need to make quite so shaky. A number of folks in the theatre were getting ill. I think one of my party left. But it was trippy to see, and it was visually engrossing, you quickly feel part of the group, but still uneasy.

After that opening scene, thankfully they cut the shakiness way down, and the photorealistic imagery takes over. It's impressive and immersive throughout. I won't give anything away, but the film delivers the first-person experience of a giant monster movie. I thought it was a one of a kind experience, done quite well.

The relationship of the young adults in the film... meh, I didn't find it significant, not particularly unreal or annoying. They just seemed like normal young adults. Wasn't preachy, and they acted fairly reasonable under the bizarre circumstances, as I recall. It's not a great character driven story, it's more of a visceral horror film type experience.

I've saw Cloverfield Paradox... the films have zero relation. Different writers, different director, not found footage. 10 cloverfield lane, same thing. No relation.

Last edited by Sculpt; 07-06-2021 at 08:06 PM.
Old 07-06-2021, 08:05 PM
ventricle

Old 07-07-2021, 12:05 AM
Immortal horror fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
I hear ya. But I can just tell you about the movie.

I saw Cloverfield in the movie theatre which is a very unique experience. I wish you could see it on the big screen. Found footage naturally is mostly handheld close-up stuff. Seeing that on the big screen is a visual trip. Also, with Cloverfield, the director (Matt Reeves) had to get creative with shots to give a bit of a mesh between close-up and deeper field and wider shots.

Well, I don't expect you'll ever see it on the big screen, but hopefully you'll be able to make your first viewing as much of a theatre experience as you can... you know, your biggest screen, your best audio, at night, lights out, no distractions.

Anyway, the film itself... With the opening segment the director didn't need to make quite so shaky. A number of folks in the theatre were getting ill. I think one of my party left. But it was trippy to see, and it was visually engrossing, you quickly feel part of the group, but still uneasy.

After that opening scene, thankfully they cut the shakiness way down, and the photorealistic imagery takes over. It's impressive and immersive throughout. I won't give anything away, but the film delivers the first-person experience of a giant monster movie. I thought it was a one of a kind experience, done quite well.

The relationship of the young adults in the film... meh, I didn't find it significant, not particularly unreal or annoying. They just seemed like normal young adults. Wasn't preachy, and they acted fairly reasonable under the bizarre circumstances, as I recall. It's not a great character driven story, it's more of a visceral horror film type experience.

I've saw Cloverfield Paradox... the films have zero relation. Different writers, different director, not found footage. 10 cloverfield lane, same thing. No relation.
Every time it's on demand I take a pass at watching it. I think I saw a few minutes of the opening. Maybe some bits underground later in the movie with some bugs. And stopped. I think I spoiled how the monster lands in the ocean.

But the cast looks good. And the director worked his way up to making the next Batman which looks good. But I just knew back then that Abrams was a hype guy. Nothing rewatchable out of all his movies and TV shows. Except Super 8. But that's probably because he wanted to impress Spielberg. I'll get that to own one day.

I was more interested in the Cloverfield sequels mainly because of the casting. I'll get to them eventually. Probably wait till I make my home theater. I can't remember if I posted this over here. I was talking about theaters on HorrorDVDs. But I saw this home theater and a few others and want to make a smaller version for myself.

This virus thing isn't over. And experts say we'll see another one in the future. So best to have a nice home setup.

Last edited by ImmortalSlasher; 07-07-2021 at 12:09 AM.
Old 07-07-2021, 01:40 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalSlasher View Post
Every time it's on demand I take a pass at watching it. I think I saw a few minutes of the opening. Maybe some bits underground later in the movie with some bugs. And stopped. I think I spoiled how the monster lands in the ocean.

But the cast looks good. And the director worked his way up to making the next Batman which looks good. But I just knew back then that Abrams was a hype guy. Nothing rewatchable out of all his movies and TV shows. Except Super 8. But that's probably because he wanted to impress Spielberg. I'll get that to own one day.

I was more interested in the Cloverfield sequels mainly because of the casting. I'll get to them eventually. Probably wait till I make my home theater. I can't remember if I posted this over here. I was talking about theaters on HorrorDVDs. But I saw this home theater and a few others and want to make a smaller version for myself.

This virus thing isn't over. And experts say we'll see another one in the future. So best to have a nice home setup.
That's pretty nifty. Not many peeps have a large room to devote to a theatre.

Old 07-07-2021, 03:38 PM
Immortal horror fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
That's pretty nifty. Not many peeps have a large room to devote to a theatre.
The average den, living room, or basement should be good enough in most homes these days.

Here is his site with a bunch of small and big home theaters.

http://www.tktheaters.com/portfolio.html
Old 07-31-2021, 03:02 AM
Evil Dead

A lot of found footage films seem to be slow burners as well. Ot is that just me?
Old 01-16-2022, 01:07 PM
Evil Dead

Old 03-07-2023, 04:53 PM
病気の