Old 02-14-2005, 11:50 AM
Evil Dead

Send a message via AIM to Gojira
LOL thats it Austin only movies made after 1960 thats going to be sooo easy. Thats not much of a dare but I will post movies made from 1961 to present. And I dare you to post something about the very 1st Werewolf movie ever made. Now I can post Hammer Dracula movies and lots of other stuff Yahoo!!!
Old 02-14-2005, 11:53 AM
Fear scented candle

Quote:
Originally posted by Gojira
Yahoo!!!
Hey, buddy! Careful how you use that word. Its a registered trademark and they will own you if they find out you are shouting it witout written permission (implied is not enough)
Old 02-14-2005, 11:59 AM
Evil Dead

LOL hey Vod I doubt if Yahoo will go after me besides the term Yahoo comes from Texas where I live. Hmm Maybe as a Texan I should sue Yahoo LOL.
Old 02-14-2005, 12:31 PM
The Dork Knight

Quote:
And I dare you to post something about the very 1st Werewolf movie ever made.
ok here it is......................It was ok but it wasn't better than American Werewolf in London or Dog Soldiers, well Dog Soldiers is just my opinion but I honestly think American Werewolf in London was a better movie.
Old 02-14-2005, 03:42 PM
Evil Dead

Austin I kind of figured you wouldnt know what the very 1st Werewolf movie was LOL. And you say your a horror fan shame on you. I would tell ya but It was made before 1960 LOL. Btw My fave Werewolf movie is the Howling 1981.
Old 02-14-2005, 04:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
If you don't care for remakes...don't watch them. Keep in mind however, that there would be very few movies out there for you to see. They have been doing remakes from the beginning! Really consider this. If it wasn't for remakes, there wouldn't be Boris Karloffs' Frankenstein because T. Edison made it first. No Christopher Lee's Dracula because Bela Lugosi made it first. No John Carpenters The Thing, because it was a remake of one in the 50's. Think about it...very rarely does a completely original-never before heard of or seen movie get made. Spiderman was nothing more then a remake of a cheesy Made for TV movie/series from the 70's
So you're saying films should be remade and remade until they get it right, or even better?

When this money could instead be put into new, innovative ideas struggling to get off the ground?

Sounds to me like you favour safe familiarity over risky originality.

Perhaps ItsAlive75 subscribes to my idea of thwarting these endless remakes/re-imaginings by not paying to watch or rent them in the first place - tempting as it may be to see the carnage for yourself.

The influx of dumbed down, "target audience" re-makes/re-imaginings/re-ejaculations will only be stopped if you stop funding it and making fat oily men very rich.
Old 02-14-2005, 04:29 PM
The Dork Knight

Quote:
Austin I kind of figured you wouldnt know what the very 1st Werewolf movie was LOL. And you say your a horror fan shame on you. I would tell ya but It was made before 1960 LOL. Btw My fave Werewolf movie is the Howling 1981.
The Werewolf
Henry MacRae

Last edited by AUSTIN316426808; 02-14-2005 at 04:54 PM.
Old 02-14-2005, 04:46 PM
Evil Dead

I didnt say all horror movies should be remade I just said I dont think there is anything wrong in remaking a movie 10 or 20 years later. I like original horror movie ideas what I dont like as many horror fans dont are cruddy movies. If you want to know why film makers keep remaking old classics like Dracula Frankenstien Mummy Wolfman etc. Its real easy to figure out those horror characters are monsters people like so it can only be a good idea to remake a movie about one of those characters because the studio know the movie will probley make a profit. and who knows maybe 10 years later another remake might be in the works or better yet maybe a series of movies about a character. Here is what I predict will be the next best remake this year in december fans will get inline to watch a KingKong remake. They will go see kingkong not because he is popular with fans. Hell most have forgotten who KingKong was. The reason people will line up to go see this remake is because the Director Peter Jackson the best movie director in the world today is directing the movie. Another reason is that Adrian Brody best actor a few years ago will be in it. So good director good actors good script= good movie. And thats why people will go see Kingkong next december.
Old 02-14-2005, 05:01 PM
Banned

Gah, you talk like you're living in the Matrix -

This plus that equals this equals entertainment?

Again, remakes that trigger familiarity in audiences may make money (unless they all listen to me, which some of them might not) but independent, original films with heart at their centre despite their rough exteriors are being eclipsed by the glossy remake juggernaut.

Unless you want to keep watching the latest fucking Wolfman and Dracula in 30 years time then this is wrong.

A lot of new horror movies - non-commercial, amature efforts - are wasted opportunities and indeed often crud, but they are the way forward in this genre and discovering something special like Buttgereit's Nekromantik, Muro's Street Trash and of course the seminal BWP is far preferable to occasionally witnessing a remake which "hey, actually, wasn't all that bad!".
Old 02-14-2005, 07:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by EXTR3MIST
Gah, you talk like you're living in the Matrix -

This plus that equals this equals entertainment?

Again, remakes that trigger familiarity in audiences may make money (unless they all listen to me, which some of them might not) but independent, original films with heart at their centre despite their rough exteriors are being eclipsed by the glossy remake juggernaut.

Unless you want to keep watching the latest fucking Wolfman and Dracula in 30 years time then this is wrong.

A lot of new horror movies - non-commercial, amature efforts - are wasted opportunities and indeed often crud, but they are the way forward in this genre and discovering something special like Buttgereit's Nekromantik, Muro's Street Trash and of course the seminal BWP is far preferable to occasionally witnessing a remake which "hey, actually, wasn't all that bad!".
you mentioned the best of the oddities ... you have to go through heaping mountains of crud to get to one or two of something watchable.

I'd rather watch a remake of Dawn obviously made by a fan with decent actors than some back yard piece of shit made by a bunch of friends with a video camera and no clue of what they are doing.

there have been some good remakes ..there have been some bad ones ..

there have been good origional films and there have been bad ones ...

just give me something made with some degree of skill in all of the important departments - and hopefully if it is remade the new version will have a little personal spin of its own.

i feel the same way about music covers .. doing the same song verbatim is pointless, but make it your own while retaining the flavour of the origional and i usually like it ...