Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Latest Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-28-2008, 02:38 PM
Horror Addict

Send a message via MSN to Antym666 Send a message via Skype™ to Antym666
Halloween remake

I'm a big fan of House Of 10K Corpses and Devils Rejects, so when I heard Mr. Zombie was doing the remake of this film, I was very pleased. I finally bought the DVD, and I'll say this.

The first half of this film is awesome. Basically they go into the history of Michael Myers, and why he is a psychopath. The part of a young Myers is played brilliantly by this little kid, who is just perfect. At first I thought it might ruin the certain aura that makes Myers his character, but you don't see him when he's older, and it really adds another layer to the character. Sure, it was partially rushed, but jeez, this is a horror film, not an examination. But yeah, the film built a really solid foundation to work on, showing the development of his behaviour, etc. Its really good. Rob Zombies stayed true to the style of the original while also making it his own; You can clearly tell this is his film.

Now onto the bad part, the second half. This movie is proof that you just cannot win with remakes. You have to please old fans and newcomers; an impossible feat. It's either just a rehash of the old film, or it isn't faithful to the original, no middle ground. This half just feels like they completely remade all the scenes, with a few minor perks. I knew what was coming up, it was generic, it was boring, it was nothing I hadn't seen before (maybe inevitable really) and it failed to keep my interest. I felt disappointed.

Also, Zombie is doing that thing where he keeps reusing the cast; I swear ALL THE CAST of Devils Rejects and HOATC is used somewhere along the lines in this. It sucks. He just keeps using the film as a chance to flaunt his wife (yeah she's hot but hey, thats not the point!). I cannot stand this sort of indulgence turned laziness.

I think though, that if you haven't seen the original (A crime punishable by death in my books) then you'd most probably enjoy this, which does have some fucking VIOLENT scenes in by the way, although it softens up in the second half. But for fans of the original, I reckon this'd be a disappointment.

What did you guys think?
Old 04-28-2008, 04:34 PM
People Hate Me

http://www.horror.com/forum/showthre...mbie+halloween

MONSTER MONSTER 13 OH YEAH
Old 05-01-2008, 03:59 PM
I kick ass for the lord

I'm a fan of the original (as far as slasher flicks go) and didn't much care for the remake. I didn't really like learning more about Myer's character as I liked the mystery associated with him in the original. The second half like you said was just re-shot scenes from the original. It was a nice attempt from Rob but it just wasn't a movie that needed to or should have been remade.
Old 05-01-2008, 04:04 PM
Misfit

Send a message via AIM to Posher778 Send a message via MSN to Posher778 Send a message via Yahoo to Posher778
Worst remake ever. Destroyed the original beyond all comprehension. Stupid. Pointless. Left nothing to the imagination. Bad acting. Worse dialogue. Bad direction.... Exactly as I predicted it would be. Since Rob Zombie can't direct a film to save his life.

I liked about 3 seconds of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X¤MurderDoll¤X View Post
oh posher, I love you.

well as much as a girl can love a squirrely little girly man I suppose.

None of this is real
Old 05-01-2008, 07:15 PM
People Hate Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posher778 View Post
. Destroyed the original beyond all comprehension.

Hows that?

The orginal copy I own wasnt changed at all. I was a little worried when the remake came out, but when I got home I put in the orginal...................and the orginal played.

MONSTER MONSTER 13 OH YEAH
Old 05-01-2008, 07:19 PM
Maggie:}

Send a message via AIM to pinkfloyd45769 Send a message via MSN to pinkfloyd45769 Send a message via Yahoo to pinkfloyd45769
I think you might be a little confused.....
Old 05-01-2008, 07:21 PM
Evil Puppy

http://www.horror.com/forum/showthre...ight=Halloween
Old 05-01-2008, 09:33 PM
Misanthrope

He's not the only director to use similar actors in their films Carpenter, Hitchcock, Argento and Raimi come to mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posher778 View Post
...Rob Zombie can't direct a film to save his life.
Right... :rolleyes: he pisses on a lot of motherfuckers that call themselves horror directors. What modern horror directors to you consider to be able to direct films to save their lives?
Old 05-02-2008, 05:43 AM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Send a message via AIM to The_Return
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis_Christ View Post

Right... :rolleyes: he pisses on a lot of motherfuckers that call themselves horror directors. What modern horror directors to you consider to be able to direct films to save their lives?
I'd bet good money he'll say Wes Craven *shudders*
Old 05-02-2008, 06:57 PM
Maggie:}

Send a message via AIM to pinkfloyd45769 Send a message via MSN to pinkfloyd45769 Send a message via Yahoo to pinkfloyd45769
Rob Zombie is hot!!Not that it has anything to do with this thread..