Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-01-2010, 12:14 AM
HDC Resident Serial Killa

Send a message via Yahoo to Freak
Assassins Creed: Brotherhood

I only got to play it for a short bit but I liked what I saw.Wanna give the multiplayer a chance also.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:17 PM
That fucking Guy...

SAW - Xbox 360.

So my friend bought this and got fed up with it, and I decided I'd have a go as I've been personally interested in checking it out, and the girlfriend is into puzzle games so I thought it would be something we could play through together.

I thought I'd come in here and talk about how the game is/was, even though I've reached a point that I don't think I'll be bothering to continue past.

First of all the theme/atmosphere works pretty damn well in my opinion, you feel as though you're taking part in a pretty authentic SAW experience - the setting and how the game works reminded me mainly of Saw 2, and I think the events are meant to take place between the first and second film. So yeah in terms of authenticity I wasn't at all disappointed, this game knows how to put you on edge, making it necessary to observe your surroundings and actually follow clues if you're to stay alive.

The "challenge/trap" levels, in which you have to save someone etc, they're varied enough, and again these scenes feel nicely in tone with the movies, they're basically like, puzzle and logic minigames set to a cinematic scene, I enjoyed them.

One thing I had a slight problem with, was your character and how he moves around and fights...it's simply sluggish...I don't really like how the combat works, and yeah I was looking at the screen a lot wondering why you just amble around like your feet are tied together...even at top speed you're practically walking. It's annoying. The combat itself is not "bad" just not very fun at all, the weapons feel unwieldy.

The enemies, well there's your run of the mill folk that have simply been placed in the same location as you and mostly have reasons to want to kill you...they're not really noteworthy. The interesting ones are those with traps...some that can only track you by sound but WILL fuck you ip, there's some with collars that will go off and kill them (and you if you're close) there's others that have things on them that will detonate if they're killed leaving you unable to fight them up close, so it's either let them kill you, or use the environment like doors/locks/barricades to get yourself safe and then take them out by activating traps, stun traps, electrocution, door traps, shotgun tripwire traps and the like.
I really liked this part of the game...and while it takes a little bit to not just stumble into pre-existing traps yourself, the process by which you can disarm them and reassemble them is pretty cool, great fun.

The major let-down is the puzzles.
I don't mind puzzle games, the girl loves them...so I figured, ok.
Then I started seeing a common theme - this game kept throwing almost exactly the same scenario at me.
It was either...
a: Turn off some leaking gas before you die
b: Fix/rewire a circuitboard before bombs all around you explode.
Literally, the same type of scenario happened so many times it got BORING...now this disappointed me, but not enough so that I'd stop playing, at this stage I just thought "ok, so they've run out of ideas?" and kept going.
Now brings me to the point/s in the game that pissed me off, you know them, I know them, those scenes that game designers LOVE to throw around "to make it more challenging", that's right, fucking time limits.
So as I said you'd get one of the aforementioned scenarios, this time, with a countdown...all that changed further into the game, was, less time, more difficulty. Then, I got to a scene that had BOTH of those scenarios in one...both poison gas and a countdown to an explosion, on a BITCH time limit.
I swear to god if ever I see another "pipeline" style current/water redirection game within a game, I will simply turn it off...I've never been too good at those, and personally just don't find them any kind of "fun" or enjoyable.

I understand the need for challenge...but when it gets to the point that if you make one single fuck-up or don't work something out super-fast and it just fucks you over for it, it gets old.
I'm not the most seasoned gamer, but I hold my own...I don't play things on "easy" and generally speaking when I play a game, it gets finished so yeah I'm not quick to throw things into the "too hard" pile.
We tried this scene about 10 times, this may not sound like too many but the overall scene takes some 4 minutes...there's no progression saved, if you don't succeed, it's right back to the beginning.
That's just annoying, and yeah I don't like it when games annoy me.
Could I have done it? I'll hazard a guess and say "probably", but hey maybe it's that I don't spend as many hours gaming as I used to but I find as I get older my tolerance for such bullshit goes out the window and I'm less willing to sit there hammering something like this until I succeed, so I stopped, at the risk of my friends disk meeting with some kind of accident, most of the way through "victim 5" of 7.

In short, if you're a fan of the film series especially the earlier films before everything became convoluted as all fuck, then you'd probably enjoy this game...though, if you're not a person who likes puzzle games, and you're not pretty nimble and fast when it comes to them, you will likely find it problematic, though you may have a higher boiling point than I did.
I will still give this game a 7/10 even with it's shortcomings, and since it's meant to be completely unrelated in storyline, even though I'd expect more of the same I may end up checking out the second one, in the hope that it's addressed some of the issues the first had.

Last edited by cheebacheeba; 12-02-2010 at 06:19 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:35 AM
No, fuck YOU

"Castlevania - lords of shadow" PS3

Not a big Hack n Slash fan, but i like the Lord Of The Ring universe and all the movie parts.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:07 AM
Satan's joystick

Old 12-09-2010, 10:16 AM
The Spine Splitter

Send a message via AIM to Doctor Loomis Send a message via MSN to Doctor Loomis Send a message via Yahoo to Doctor Loomis
Old 12-10-2010, 06:49 AM
That fucking Guy...

Singularity.
Now this is the kind of sci-fi/horror FPS I like to see.
I can find very few problems with this game...I mean it's not really open world and where you can/can't go is pretty clearly outlined but it doesn't spoil it too much at all...this is one of those games that introduces and throws you into a reality all its own, a reality that feels surreal yet authentic at the same time.
Cool game, nice weapons and upgrades, really WEIRD stuff you can do via time manipulation though it doesn't stray into gimmicky.
Bit of a difficult challenge level but I think most average gamers could get around it fairly well given time.
It's actually a bit scary, quite atmospheric and is very interesting to look at.
For those who liked BioShock and the Half Life games, I'd definitely recommend having a look at this one, I'm enjoying it a lot.
Old 12-19-2010, 05:27 PM
HDC Resident Serial Killa

Send a message via Yahoo to Freak
Going through Halo Reach and trying to finish off the campaign.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:38 AM
That fucking Guy...

Deadly Premonition.
I thought it looked weird and interesting.
That a game this bad could actually exist is astounding to me.
Terrible menu system, gimped as fuck controls, overly convoluted storyline that makes no sense whatsoever.
This game has actually broken a record with me...I turned it off within 15 minutes, and I know now that I will never play it again.
Avoid at all costs, it's easily one of the top 5 worst games I've ever played.
Old 12-25-2010, 01:00 AM
Foxhole Atheist

COD: Black Ops

I didnt write Santa a letter this year so kudos to the old fat guy for getting it for me, early stages yet but has lived up to the hype so far.

Battle Royalty, 2009
@Wolf_Scousemac
Old 12-30-2010, 11:35 AM
Evil Dead

Bioshock 2 - Just started the game so I haven't mastered the control system yet, the enviroment looks great so far though.