Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Latest Horror Movies

Old 06-05-2021, 12:26 AM
Immortal horror fan

I watched a few youtube videos about Underwater recently. I think because they reviewed other stuff so I was curious. Those videos also pointed out how Alien handled the characters versus Underwater. Which is a valid claim. But I think you also have to understand modern audiences that seem to want something to blow up every 10 or so minutes.

I think Underwater tried something different with the action right from the start and minimal character development. It's not the best with two characters that I mentioned in my review. Also with the main character's decision at the end. But there is an alternate better ending. And I think the director and studio should have overwritten the actor on that theatrical ending.
Old 06-05-2021, 09:38 PM
ventricle

SPOILERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalSlasher View Post
I watched a few youtube videos about Underwater recently. I think because they reviewed other stuff so I was curious. Those videos also pointed out how Alien handled the characters versus Underwater. Which is a valid claim. But I think you also have to understand modern audiences that seem to want something to blow up every 10 or so minutes.

I think Underwater tried something different with the action right from the start and minimal character development. It's not the best with two characters that I mentioned in my review. Also with the main character's decision at the end. But there is an alternate better ending. And I think the director and studio should have overwritten the actor on that theatrical ending.
"Underwater recently. I think because they reviewed other stuff so I was curious. Those videos also pointed out how Alien handled the characters versus Underwater. Which is a valid claim. "

What did the video review say about how Underwater handled the characters vs Alien? got a link, id be interested in checking that out.

What was the main characters decision at the end? You mean punching that chic and sending her up in the last pod, i think?

So what happened in the alternate ending version? Is that on youtube?

The character development in Alien was fun. Character development shouldn't be a chore. Shouldn't feel like a chore. Almost all fiction films are about the characters. Great, interesting, suspenseful, scary story subject matter, and impressive visuals, are a wonderful plus for a film, but it's about the characters. I thought character development in Underwater seemed choreful... to invent a word.

Old 06-08-2021, 11:04 PM
Immortal horror fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
SPOILERS

What did the video review say about how Underwater handled the characters vs Alien? got a link, id be interested in checking that out.

What was the main characters decision at the end? You mean punching that chic and sending her up in the last pod, i think?

So what happened in the alternate ending version? Is that on youtube?

The character development in Alien was fun. Character development shouldn't be a chore. Shouldn't feel like a chore. Almost all fiction films are about the characters. Great, interesting, suspenseful, scary story subject matter, and impressive visuals, are a wonderful plus for a film, but it's about the characters. I thought character development in Underwater seemed choreful... to invent a word.
The decision I was talking about was Norah's sacrifice and giving up which I didn't buy since she's fixing stuff from the beginning. You can even see in the normal version how the escape pod exterior light is flickering green and red. Showing that it's just some glitch or malfunction that can be fixed. Not a solid red light. Here is the alternate ending.

I love character development. That's what makes a good movie. You have to care about the characters. Believe they are real. Not just videogame characters or people that can survive anything. But I do get the attempt in Underwater. Another person on the HorrorDVD forum compared it to a roller coaster ride. I guess because it starts fast and only has a few slow points.

Here are all the videos I watched on Underwater. The Alien one first.