Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Foreign Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-11-2009, 08:08 AM
Bad Natured

Bad Guy (2001). Ki-duk Kim has yet to disappoint me as a director, as this wicked film attests. Somehow, the worst of the worst in human nature is used to whip up touching tale of love. That said, this is by no means a chick flick and is about as rugged a love story that i have ever seen. The acting, direction, cinamatography, story,... was all incredible. Discounting a couple of incredulous notions of biological reality, there is nary a complaint to be found in this wonderful offering. Not a movie for everyone, this dark and complex tale of humanity and love is a must see for those that appreciate such things. Ashe.
derek

Fate is my mistress, mother of the cruel abomination that is hope.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:23 AM
Bad Natured

Youth of the Beast (1963). A colorlful and wickedly stylized entry form Seijun Suzuki, this was a treat of film in all aspects. Hip, fun, dark and intriguing, this is a must of any fan of Japanese classic theater. Ashe.
derek

Old 12-14-2009, 07:29 AM
Bad Natured

The Protector (2005). A simple but endearing story coupled with some furious and brutal fighting. The fight choreography was awesome, even if it did tend towards MTVism at times. Ashe.
d

Old 12-14-2009, 09:48 PM
Pirate of Bengal

Raging Phoenix (2009)

This is the story of a girl who has been abandoned by everyone in her life, from her mother to her band mates. While drunk one night she is kidnapped and carried off. She gets away only be chased down by the villains. She is then rescued by a group of people who have had their loved ones taken by the kidnappers. She ends up joining them in the fight to stop the kidnapping.

A time passing Thai Drunken Martial Art movie. Not so good as I expected.

>>: C
Old 12-15-2009, 06:22 AM
Bad Natured

A World Without Thieves (2004). After the first five minutes or so i was was afraid that this film would end too soon. It was that incredible. The rest of the film did not disappoint. The acting was great, the story smart and touching. The action was subtle and smooth. The editing was pretty fun at times, and the cinematography was wonderful. While most of the film took place in a claustraphobic setting, it had a universe within a universe feel to it, masking any sense that a claustraphobic setting can generate. The ending threatened to be almost stupid, but its powerful impact was hidden in its subtlety. Ashe.
derek

Old 12-19-2009, 01:11 AM
Pirate of Bengal

J.S.A.: Joint Security Area (2000)

Magnificently crafted & beautiful tale of 'brotherhood' over the borderline.

>>: A-
Old 12-19-2009, 04:20 AM
Bad Natured

Dead or Alive (1999). This one is probably one of my favorites from Miike, though i probably said that about all of them. The frenzied beginning is about as adrenalin pumping as anything i have ever scene. The story then settles down into the perfect Miike Yakuza flick, with incongruent and disturbing scenes that would nonplus the most stalwart of individuals, but that our characters instead accept as standard fare. The scenes are all wonderfully crafted, and the story is driven forward brilliantly. The ending is one that only Miike could get away with, and it somehow worked beautifully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshiq View Post
J.S.A.: Joint Security Area (2000)

Magnificently crafted & beautiful tale of 'brotherhood' over the borderline.

>>: A-
Yeah, that was a great flick, revealing that which hides behind the facade of the uniform is likely no different than you or i. Ashe.
derek

Old 12-19-2009, 11:02 PM
Pirate of Bengal

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho d View Post
Yeah, that was a great flick, revealing that which hides behind the facade of the uniform is likely no different than you or i. Ashe.
derek
Wow. Well said d, pretty well said.:)
Old 12-20-2009, 04:32 AM
Bad Natured

Branded to Kill (1967). When the back of the dvd cover reads "From a cookie-cutter studio script, Suzuki delivered this brutal, hilarious, and visually inspired masterpiece, and was promptly fired." you know it's gunna be good. This dish From Seijun Suzuki is as crazy as it is splendid. Filled with sex, intrigue, and violence, events are played out in a universe where time warps come to blows with Einstein's theory of relativity. Ashe.
derek

Old 12-23-2009, 04:13 AM
Bad Natured

Mr. Vampire (1985). This fun and charming classic somehow blends martial arts with a vampire and ghost story, with the end result being an entertaining flick on all accounts. Simply a blast of a movie. Ashe.
derek