Old 04-15-2020, 09:59 AM
Living Dead

Pulse (2001), directed by Kiyoshi Kurosawa.

The movie is filled with haunting atmosphere. The action is slow - I think that this film could have been shorter and it would be fine as well because as the film goes on, my interest has begun to wander off. I've started wondering what exactly is going on as the plot is quite confusing, but simultaneously open to interpretation (which I actually think is an advantage). Overall, it's a dark movie about loneliness. The technology is outdated and it definitely adds to the charm.

Last edited by Maila Munster; 04-15-2020 at 12:39 PM.
Old 04-17-2020, 10:32 PM
Immortal horror fan

I want to get back into Japanese horror again. There is a Grudge remake out and it's supposed to be not that good. I think the Japanese setting helps a lot for me because I live in the United States. I'm ok watching in Japanese and reading subtitles too.

I'm going to start searching to see what I can watch later this year during the October month. I know I have a few on my list already.
Old 04-20-2020, 06:59 AM
Top Of The World Ma!!

i recently watched Imprint - by Takashi Miike from the Masters of Horror Volume 1 box set.

(i watched the whole set but this was the last asian horror ive seen)

Pretty nasty ... well made but the kind of thing that turned me off horror for a long time .. the bombardment of negative imagery - especially towards women.
Also - Billy Drago showed clearly that he was never meant to be a lead .. interesting looking guy but very limited as an actor.
Old 04-26-2020, 06:06 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by urgeok2 View Post
i recently watched Imprint - by Takashi Miike from the Masters of Horror Volume 1 box set.

(i watched the whole set but this was the last asian horror ive seen)

Pretty nasty ... well made but the kind of thing that turned me off horror for a long time .. the bombardment of negative imagery - especially towards women.
Also - Billy Drago showed clearly that he was never meant to be a lead .. interesting looking guy but very limited as an actor.
I recently saw that one as well, and found it very disturbing and intense, but also interesting. Yes, how those ladies are treated is terrible, and the torture the main prostitute received was beyond nasty. That can unfortunately be a good realistic on what a lot of them go through out that way, which makes the story all the more scary and disturbing. I found that overall a good addition to the series and a good closing to that season. I have already seen all episodes of that season, and have seen Dario Argento's "Pelts" with Meat Loaf and John Saxon, of the second season. I will try to look at more episodes of the second season soon. That is an overall killer series with good hour long made for TV horror films from some great legendary film makers like John Carpenter, Tobe Hooper, Stuart Gordon, and Dario Argento, of course.
Old 05-05-2020, 07:39 AM
Living Dead

Gonjiam: Haunted Asylum (2018), directed by Beom-sik Jeong.

Korean take on Grave Encounters (2011). It's solid made, though it didn't scare the hell pants out of me as I expected. Pretty good, but I'm not going to watch it again.

Last edited by Maila Munster; 05-05-2020 at 07:45 AM.
Old 05-05-2020, 10:23 AM
Top Of The World Ma!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by classic_horror_fan View Post
I recently saw that one as well, and found it very disturbing and intense, but also interesting. Yes, how those ladies are treated is terrible, and the torture the main prostitute received was beyond nasty. That can unfortunately be a good realistic on what a lot of them go through out that way, which makes the story all the more scary and disturbing. I found that overall a good addition to the series and a good closing to that season. I have already seen all episodes of that season, and have seen Dario Argento's "Pelts" with Meat Loaf and John Saxon, of the second season. I will try to look at more episodes of the second season soon. That is an overall killer series with good hour long made for TV horror films from some great legendary film makers like John Carpenter, Tobe Hooper, Stuart Gordon, and Dario Argento, of course.
i have yet to crack season 2 .. i have the little skull box set .. but never opened it.
I'll have a go at it soon
Old 05-06-2020, 05:46 AM
Living Dead

Audition (1999), directed by Takashi Miike.

Well, there's something bizarre about this movie. It's a drama flick turning into a bloody ending. Tarantino called this movie one of his favorites... the way camera is guided for the first hour - static shots, changing dynamics and colors... It's all about the details. The movie itself is almost a family film, then we have an element of surprise, not to say - shock or indignation. Truly weird, but I really enjoyed it.
Old 05-06-2020, 09:00 AM
Top Of The World Ma!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maila Munster View Post
Audition (1999), directed by Takashi Miike.

Well, there's something bizarre about this movie. It's a drama flick turning into a bloody ending. Tarantino called this movie one of his favorites... the way camera is guided for the first hour - static shots, changing dynamics and colors... It's all about the details. The movie itself is almost a family film, then we have an element of surprise, not to say - shock or indignation. Truly weird, but I really enjoyed it.

ive had this sitting on my shelf for years .. haven't been in the mood to watch it yet
Old 05-07-2020, 05:33 AM
Living Dead

Ab-normal Beauty (2004), directed by Oxide Chun Pang.

It's about the talented artist who becomes obsessed with death. There's an intriguing, creepy and morbid aesthetics. Maybe it's not a masterpiece, but it's definitely a movie I'm not going to forget. Visually stunning, thought-provoking and kind of nice to watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urgeok2 View Post
ive had this sitting on my shelf for years .. haven't been in the mood to watch it yet
To be honest, I was a little bit reluctant to watch it. Dunno why exactly, but eventually I gave it a play.
Old 05-08-2020, 10:57 AM
Living Dead

Suicide Club (2001), directed by Sion Sono.

It's a pretty intense reflection on suicide. Sion Sono is kinda legendary and he uses cinema to examine the horror that lurks at the edges of ordinary life. The movie itself is quite unique - a few suggestive scenes, a lot of blood (way too artificial) and a plenty of philosophical thoughts. As it is said - it's not for everyone, love it or hate it. I personally liked it as it's kinda eerie and artistic in its own way.

Last edited by Maila Munster; 05-08-2020 at 11:14 AM.