Old 07-23-2011, 04:37 AM
From The Beyond

I had no idea the cut footage had been lost for so long its a sad loss.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:49 AM
Evil Dead

Extended version or not this movie is an all time classic.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:41 AM
Little Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortunato View Post
Browning's original version included many more comedic scenes (including one of Prince Randian, the "Human Torso", not only lighting his cigarette, but rolling it, too), a longer climax featuring the freaks attacking Cleo and Hercules, implying castration on the latter, and an additional scene during the epilogue showing Hercules singing soprano. The only venue to ever show the uncut film was the Fox Theatre in San Diego. And most of those scenes are now considered lost, which as much of a bummer that is, it's still a great, absolutely singular film.
on the DVD you get to see Prince Randian, the "Human Torso", rolling a cigarette and lighting it, also the DVD has history of the "Freaks" in the film and what happend to them. like the "Human Torso" had a family that he toke care of, which blows my mind a bit... also a history of the making of the film "Freaks" or what they could dig up and put togather history wise. The DVD has some cool stuff with it. I do have to say tho the "Human Torso" blows my mind, the guy had a family with a lot of kids that he toke care of...

Last edited by jessieblood; 03-24-2013 at 12:51 AM.
Old 02-22-2014, 02:53 AM
Evil Dead

Easily my favorite Tod Browning film (which is no small feat given his body of work).

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortunato View Post
Browning's original version included many more comedic scenes (including one of Prince Randian, the "Human Torso", not only lighting his cigarette, but rolling it, too)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessieblood View Post
on the DVD you get to see Prince Randian, the "Human Torso", rolling a cigarette and lighting it, also the DVD has history of the "Freaks" in the film and what happend to them. like the "Human Torso" had a family that he toke care of, which blows my mind a bit... also a history of the making of the film "Freaks" or what they could dig up and put togather history wise. The DVD has some cool stuff with it. I do have to say tho the "Human Torso" blows my mind, the guy had a family with a lot of kids that he toke care of...
Watching The Living Torso fetch the match from the box and light that cigarette solely with his mouth is to this day one of the most inspiring things I have ever seen.

Last edited by Monkey Astronaut; 02-22-2014 at 03:03 AM.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:13 PM
the walls are bleeding.

I believe that 'Island of Lost Souls' made a year later also uses microcephalic men or 'pin heads' cast as the animal-men.
Was this influenced by Freaks? Or was there something about the early 30s and using people with deformities on film?
Old 07-15-2015, 09:35 AM
A VERY OLD BROAD

A great Tod Browning film. I have a copy and I just love it.

HELL IN A DRESS!
Old 09-24-2015, 04:43 PM
The Creeper

I've always been bothered by this film being classified as horror. There's nothing horror involved with it at all. It's a romance film. The only thing I can think of as to why it's classified as horror is that people of the time period considered the "freaks" to be horror.
Old 09-24-2015, 05:24 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lefanu View Post
I've always been bothered by this film being classified as horror. There's nothing horror involved with it at all. It's a romance film. The only thing I can think of as to why it's classified as horror is that people of the time period considered the "freaks" to be horror.
Like many horror films its not strictly horror. As many love stories are horror movies. The darkness of how the 'freaks' were treated is coupled without how strange they appear to us. Its not a monster/killer after teens at night, or traveling to hell, etc. Its beautiful people we don't often see as beautiful. For me horror does not exclude dark, stark reality.
Old 10-01-2015, 02:11 AM
Evil Dead

i've never being comfortable with this film. Its something about the personal exploitative nature of the film that just sits uncomfortably with me. I do actually love exploitation movies, however its the genre being exploited that i like, rather than individuals
Old 10-14-2015, 01:30 AM
Little Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferox13 View Post
Yeah I actually watched it the other night with my pristine copy of London at Midnight.

PM me and I'll hook u up.
I liked it
:: sokkolta ::