Old 12-18-2014, 05:57 AM
fanged menace

the cabinet of dr caligari

i know a lot of people put it in top ten lists of vintage horror movies but apart from a very good score i found little to enjoy, i know its a film that made so many others possible but i simply didnt enjoy it, i found it slow, dull and monotonous.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:17 AM
It's a-liiiiiiiiiiiiive!

I love the look: sets, makeup, wildly over-the-top (silent movie) acting.

If you want to develop a taste for this kind of thing, check out Shadow of the Vampire, which is a very fun movie about the making of Nosferatu, starring John Malkovich as the ART-driven director and Willem Dafoe as (perhaps the real) Nosferatu.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:56 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampyd1977 View Post
i know a lot of people put it in top ten lists of vintage horror movies but apart from a very good score i found little to enjoy, i know its a film that made so many others possible but i simply didnt enjoy it, i found it slow, dull and monotonous.
I think it's an acquired taste. I've seen a little of it, and I was somewhat bored.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:26 AM
fanged menace

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachMiel View Post
I love the look: sets, makeup, wildly over-the-top (silent movie) acting.

If you want to develop a taste for this kind of thing, check out Shadow of the Vampire, which is a very fun movie about the making of Nosferatu, starring John Malkovich as the ART-driven director and Willem Dafoe as (perhaps the real) Nosferatu.
i thought shadow of the vampire was a very good movie.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:24 AM
Innsmouth Swim Team Coach

Each to their own but I thought it fantastic.
Old 01-07-2015, 04:09 AM
The Saw is Family

Send a message via Yahoo to Horror1979
I watched that in a film class over a decade ago. great film.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:06 PM
Cranky

There are reasons out of the tens of thousands of silent films made, people are still watching this one- and it's not because it's dull and boring.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 01-09-2015, 03:01 AM
For Vendetta

I don't expect a contemporary film watcher, who is addicted to their bam-dham-clang-eek! stuff, to appreciate films which are almost 90 years old.

Examples are in my own family who laugh at the so-called "cheap" effects of The Evil Dead and The Exorcist, and fast-forward through films such as The Descent, REC, etc., to the scary parts, yell a few times and the film is over for them.

Yes, it is somewhat of an acquired taste to appreciate films such as Caligari, Phantom of the Opera, Vampyr, etc. Not many in the present generation would love them for what they are.
Old 01-09-2015, 05:39 AM
Midnight toker

Caligari is a genuine masterpiece. The perfectly immersive, dream like atmosphere is something film makers are still striving and failing to recreate today.

I think most people these days would prefer a version of Caligari starring Johnny Depp directed by Tim Burton and for everything to be a little more clean and familiar. But when you watch these commercial entities that turn over millions of dollars every time they work you should really appreciate how much they are lifting from the past. German Expressionism and even more specifically Caligari is prominent in much of Burton's work.

People become familiar with certain standards of cinema though and when you go back to some of these old movies that don't quite follow the formula or have the aesthetic you expect it see, its hard for the mind to appreciate and enjoy it. That's a big part of why so many of these old movies seem dull or slow or 'boring'. Generally speaking, we all find it a little easier to watch 'ABC' movies, but its a real shame if you cant learn to appreciate those movies that don't quite conform to modern standards.
Old 01-09-2015, 06:11 AM
Horror Fan

If you're bored by slow, quiet, horror, up your ritalin.