Old 07-12-2017, 05:29 PM
ventricle

Godzilla Vs the Cosmic Monster (1974)

Godzilla Vs the Cosmic Monster -- AKA Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1974)
6/10

I just checked this out again. I give it points for plenty of monster fighting, and they're nicely shot. And Godzilla isn't acting goofy, like shaking other monster's hands. The human story is about as weak as ever, but at least they keep moving -- that is changing the locations, and there's some nice sets.

The villains are really horribly bland in this. And as bland as protagonists.

The one acting standout is Reiko Tajima as Saeko Kaneshiro -- as she adds a free warm smile spunk, otherwise the characterizations from the script are so freakin dry and lifeless. Say what you might about not having a kid in the cast... at least you usually get a little life (no pun intended). And actually, the child actor in Godzilla Vs SmogMonster, Hiroyuki Kawase as Ken Yano, did a fantastic emotionally intelligent and emotive job.

G Vs Cosmic Monster gives the monster-craft that audiences want to see, so I give it a 6/10. The human character script didn't have to be so weak. There are much better G films.

Thoughts???

Last edited by Sculpt; 07-26-2017 at 07:50 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:09 PM
Little Boo

I've wanted to go back and watch the classic Godzilla films for a long time now, just never brought myself around to doing it. The only ones ive seen are Godzilla vs. Monster Zero, Godzilla 1998 (seriously im starting to think im the only one who liked that movie), and Godzilla 2000. Ive heard that Mecha Godzilla is one of the best in the franchise though.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:48 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by JxP View Post
I've wanted to go back and watch the classic Godzilla films for a long time now, just never brought myself around to doing it. The only ones ive seen are Godzilla vs. Monster Zero, Godzilla 1998 (seriously im starting to think im the only one who liked that movie), and Godzilla 2000. Ive heard that Mecha Godzilla is one of the best in the franchise though.
If you enjoyed the old Godzilla films when you were a kid, I'd say don't expect to recapture that experience... it's long gone.

But, you might get a new appreciation for some of the old G-films. You mentioned one of the best: Godzilla Vs Monster Zero, with Nick Adams, easily one of the most entertaining human stories of the series.

I don't think Mechagodzilla (1974) is one of the best, but there's some nifty monster fights.

I think the best Godzilla film is Godzilla Vs The Thing (1964) aka Mothra vs. Godzilla. My preference is the AIP english dub version. That's a top rate crafty fantasy film.

Of course there's the classic Gojira-54, it's quite an ordeal to watch (and American version Godzilla-56). There's no Godzilla film quite like it.

Others I'd recommend are: Godzilla Vs the Smog Monster (aka Godzilla vs. Hedorah) and Godzilla vs. Biollante. Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster has good monster craft and a wacky story, but it's bizarrely entertaining.

I enjoyed Godzilla 1998, but I wouldn't call it a Godzilla film.

Last edited by Sculpt; 11-05-2017 at 08:51 PM.