Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Horror.com General Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 08:45 AM
For Vendetta

A film needs at least 3 ratings to score on the Scare-O-Meter, otherwise it will end up as Insufficient Data. Remember to rate the films according to their spookiness/scare factor, and not as how good/bad they are.

I will update the first post accordingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post
I expect to see a real generational gap in these rankings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerfan View Post
I was thinking the same thing. :)
You just might end up pleasantly surprised, NE & HF, if the Supporting Characters tourney is any indication.

Last edited by _____V_____; 06-14-2013 at 08:47 AM.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:18 AM
Evil is Better

The Others - 4

House on Haunted Hill - 1

What Lies Beneath - 1

Old 06-14-2013, 11:40 AM
Horror Fan

V: when is the next Battle Royale? In the spirit of horror movies, one knows the bad guy never stays dead for long...

Old 06-14-2013, 11:41 AM
Evil Dead

The Others - 1

House on Haunted Hill - 2

What Lies Beneath - Sorry, haven't seen it!
Old 06-14-2013, 11:52 AM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by _____V_____ View Post
1 = Not spooky at all,
2 = Not that spooky except for some scenes,
3 = Mildly scary with some very effective scenes,
4 = Solidly scary, and
5 = Downright terrifying!
V, I think you need to edit #4, you have "and" without anything after it (at the moment).

I like the idea too! Although 3 a day may be a bit aggressive, or more precisely, may become a bit laborious for you and the raters, and mute the fun. I think we like to talk about the films too.

It's strange, I was excited to see the list of 3 movies, and then when I saw them, I realized the spooky/scary/terrifying feeling level isn't always easy to recall. Am I alone in that thought? There's horror movies that made a significant feeling hit on me (say, The Exorcist), which I remember well, but most may have been effectively spooky to me, but not enough to leave a memorable spooky level impression. But on the other hand, we could say those are going to be the films with a low spooky score.

The Others - 3

House on Haunted Hill - didn't see the remake 1999 yet; which I didn't even notice coming out in 1999. look forward to seeing it, as I really liked the '59.

What Lies Beneath - 2

The Others was many times better than What Lies Beneath because of the scripts; but I thought director Robert Zemeckis gave Beneath some mildly effective craft. The idea of the Others is genius. The detail of setting, mood effects, lighting, etc were also good. The ending is the kicker, of course. The actual content leading up to the end was mildly spooky to me; I give a low 3.

Last edited by Sculpt; 06-14-2013 at 11:57 AM.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:11 PM
Sometimes dead is better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post

It's strange, I was excited to see the list of 3 movies, and then when I saw them, I realized the spooky/scary/terrifying feeling level isn't always easy to recall. Am I alone in that thought? There's horror movies that made a significant feeling hit on me (say, The Exorcist), which I remember well, but most may have been effectively spooky to me, but not enough to leave a memorable spooky level impression. But on the other hand, we could say those are going to be the films with a low spooky score.

The Others was many times better than What Lies Beneath because of the scripts; but I thought director Robert Zemeckis gave Beneath some mildly effective craft. The idea of the Others is genius. The detail of setting, mood effects, lighting, etc were also good. The ending is the kicker, of course. The actual content leading up to the end was mildly spooky to me; I give a low 3.
I completely agree with your first paragraph. I too, was having difficulty remembering how scary The Others was or was not. I thought that a three was probably the best choice. I also completely agree with your paragraph on The Others (except for what you said on What Lies Beneath because I have not seen it to make a judgment). I really thought that The Others was a really well-made film. Of course, the ending changes your perception of the whole film.

Also, I just want to note that there are some movies that were really good, but I just don't consider scary. For instance, the original House on Haunted Hill is really good, but it just is not scary to me. Honestly, as indicated in my rating, I don't even consider the remake to be scary either. The remake is okay, but I thought it could have been way better.

Last edited by metternich1815; 06-14-2013 at 12:17 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:09 PM
Evil is Better

Quote:
V, I think you need to edit #4, you have "and" without anything after it (at the moment).
I'm pretty sure he did that just to indicate the progression to #5 as in #4. Solidly scary and #5. Downright Terrifying

Old 06-14-2013, 06:21 PM
Banned

The Others - 3

House on Haunted Hill - don't think I've seen it...and if I have it obviously didn't leave much of an impression

What Lies Beneath - gonna go 3 on this as well.....it's been awhile but I seem to remember a couple of good scares
Old 06-14-2013, 06:29 PM
Midnight toker

The Others- 1

House on Haunted Hill- 1 (Total crap!!)

What Lie Beneath- 2 (Don't remember the movie being all that amazing, but there are some pretty decent scares from what I remember).
Old 06-14-2013, 07:22 PM
For Vendetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelMyers View Post
V: when is the next Battle Royale? In the spirit of horror movies, one knows the bad guy never stays dead for long...
It's all wrapped up, Michael. No more BRs.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Villain View Post
I'm pretty sure he did that just to indicate the progression to #5 as in #4. Solidly scary and #5. Downright Terrifying
What Villain said.

Quote:
I like the idea too! Although 3 a day may be a bit aggressive, or more precisely, may become a bit laborious for you and the raters, and mute the fun. I think we like to talk about the films too.
Initially I wanted 5. But that seemed to be a bit of an overkill.

3 is fine. Discussions are welcome as well.

Keep them coming, folks...
Closed Thread