Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Vintage Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-14-2005, 09:51 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via AIM to Gojira
Phantom of the Opera

I have been a horror movie fan for 38 years and I love old horror movies The Phantom of the Opera being one of them. I know there is a new Phantom of the Opera movie being made. My question is which of the 3 Phantom of the Opera movies that have been made is your faveorate. The 1925 Phantom of the Opera movie with Lon Chaney silent movie with subtitles or the remake in 1943 with Claude Rains or the 3rd Phantom of the Opera movie made by Hammer studios in England in 1962 staring Herbert Lom.
Old 01-15-2005, 12:14 PM
Evil Dead

I love the Lon Chaney movie the Claude Rains version is okay, but it's to much opera and not enough Phantom, the Herbert Lom version , I thought was lousy.
I also liked the Robert Englund version.
Old 01-15-2005, 12:19 PM
Banned

Re: Phantom of the Opera

Quote:
Originally posted by Gojira
I have been a horror movie fan for 38 years and I love old horror movies The Phantom of the Opera being one of them. I know there is a new Phantom of the Opera movie being made. My question is which of the 3 Phantom of the Opera movies that have been made is your faveorate. The 1925 Phantom of the Opera movie with Lon Chaney silent movie with subtitles or the remake in 1943 with Claude Rains or the 3rd Phantom of the Opera movie made by Hammer studios in England in 1962 staring Herbert Lom.

Does the 1989 version with Robert Englund not count?Thats my favorite.
Old 01-15-2005, 02:56 PM
Evil Dead

I really dont think any actor will be as good as Lon Chaney was when he was the Phantom. Even though the 1925 Phantom movie was a silent movie and has english subtitles I always forget it is silent because as a viewer I just get sucked into it and forget it is a silent movie.
Old 01-15-2005, 08:02 PM
Evil Dead

Lon Chaney Sr. IMO, is not just the best Phantom, but the best horror film actor in U.S. History. His ability to use makeup and contort his body and face gave new depth to his characters unlike anyone else before him, or for a while, after him. Who knows what could have happened to horror movies, past and present, if he didn't make the movies that he did...and the way he did it. So yeah, Lon Chaney Sr. is my favorite Phantom as well as my favorite Quasimodo/Hunchback.
Old 01-21-2005, 11:18 AM
I Am Male.

The Lon Chaney version is hands down the best version. Claude Rains version would come next.

Favorite Band: Black Sabbath
Second Fav Band: Pink Floyd
Favorite Non Horror Movie: Papillon
5 Fav Horror Authors: Stephen King, Anne Rice, Edgar Allan Poe, H. P. Lovecraft, and Mary Shelley.
Old 01-21-2005, 12:58 PM
Evil Dead

One of these days I am going to have to check out these other 2 Phantom movies in 43 and 62 Herbert Lom and Claude Rains versions.
Old 01-25-2005, 12:40 PM
Backyard Waterfall

Chaney's version of The Phantom was my favorite. I also liked the color sequence. Surprising!

Take a look at Carlos Villarķas in the Spanish-language "Dracula" -- he seems to have studied Chaney's "Phantom" extensively, delivering with his body language and facial expressions a silent movie performance in a talking picture. At that time, many actors were having difficulty making the transition from silent films to "talkies," and this is perhaps an example of that, but I thought Villarķas was just great, anyway.

Last edited by filmmaker2; 01-25-2005 at 12:42 PM.
Old 01-25-2005, 01:34 PM
Evil Dead

Thats one movie I have been wanting to see for a while now the spanish Dracula version with Carlos villarias I think Movies Unlimited has it so I might get it from them just to compare it to the Lugosi version. I know the Spanish version is a few minutes longer.
Old 01-25-2005, 01:50 PM
The Dork Knight

i kinda like the new one.