Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Compilations and Pastimes
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-31-2006, 06:27 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via AIM to The Mothman
the way i like it is pretty much '70 and up. anything below usually ends up really boring. personally, i cant really tell which black and white film is better from the other, because they all come off as kinda the same IMHO. dont know why, just dont like them really really old ones. the only black and white film i can really remember enjoying was Invasion Of The Body Snatchers, the others just kinda put me to sleep.

Click for B-Movie reviews!
Old 01-02-2007, 12:03 PM
Tenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec7ral View Post
not everyone thinks that old school is where its at. I know that statement is sure to garner a shit ton of turd flingin' my way but i could give two shits about movies made before i was born (with a handful and some hitchcock aside).
I don't want to get into an arguement, but that's kind of a sad statement.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:36 PM
TRY ME, I DARE YOU

Send a message via AIM to halloweenfreak1
Quote:
Originally Posted by alkytrio666 View Post
I don't want to get into an arguement, but that's kind of a sad statement.
agreed, its the old school movies that paved the way for the modern movies. If you were a true horror fan ( no offence ) you would have some sense of history when it cam to horror films.
p.s. watch the thing if you dont like that one i give up.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:12 PM
Tenant

My previous statement wasn't meant to imply that not enjoying the classics is a bad thing, or that my taste in movies is the correct one.

I do think it's sad, however, if you don't "give two shits" about the films responsible for where the genre you love today is at. They're important pieces of this history, so saying that you're a horror movie fan but you couldn't give a shit about its history just seems kind of ignorant to me.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:36 PM
Evil Dead

important they are indeed. Although i may not watch them that often, i do very much appreciate them.

Old 01-02-2007, 08:29 PM
TRY ME, I DARE YOU

Send a message via AIM to halloweenfreak1
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mothman View Post
important they are indeed. Although i may not watch them that often, i do very much appreciate them.
that totally contradicted your first statement.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:35 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by halloweenfreak1 View Post
that totally contradicted your first statement.
no it didnt. They can be important and boing at the same time.

Old 01-14-2007, 03:55 AM
Mighty HDC Drunken Pirate

Of course the classics are important. While I really have a hard time coming to grips with the fact that some people can't watch old movies just because "they're old" it's a fact of life. I think that's why these lists we do are so great and (as cheesy as it sounds) important. We have several different generations and tastes compiling these. Yet unlike asinine magazine voting polls, we're all hardcore horror fanatics in our own way, and therefore I think the majority of us are represented reasonably well through them.

It's also fun to get drunk and look at your answers and blurbs. Although compiling them sucks, the end product always makes it worth the while.
Old 01-14-2007, 11:16 AM
Mephistophiliac

Send a message via AIM to Doc Faustus
I think a lot of people are turned off by the classics because they don't think they're "hardcore", "serious", or "scary". This is partially because they've become so deeply ingrained that they're an establishment, and horror fans have sort of an anti-establishment streak.Those who don't watch the classics should realize that many of them are as hardcore and anti-establishment as you can get. Bride of Frankenstein calls to task organized religion, mob mentality, scientific progress and all kinds of intolerance. That takes a lot more balls than most modern slasher types of transgression. I challenge those who think the classics aren't hardcore to watch Carnival of Souls, Mad Love and Bride of Frankenstein. Gore needs context, and that context comes out of the classics and their traditions.
Old 02-04-2007, 08:40 AM
Mighty HDC Drunken Pirate

Quick add, I took the time to add a list to Amazon.coms Listmania! for the first 40 films on the list (Opera is missing) just because. Take a look, it's only around $460 to own them all!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/richpub/lis...=UTF8&lm%5Fbb=