Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Horror.com General Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-29-2015, 04:24 PM
Banned

Star Wars: The Force Awakens Discussion *SPOILERS INSIDE*

DO NOT read any further if you havent seen episode 7 yet or do not want it spoiled for you. You have been warned, rebel scum

So who has seen it? What are your first impressions of it and theories on what might happen in 8 and 9?

I honestly loved it and dont feel like it is being overhyped at all. It is so hard to find movies like this nowadays and while for me it might just be nostalgia, I found it to be better than the last 3 and possibly even better than New Hope.

I know a lot of people are disapointed that Han was killed, by his own son no less, but something drastic had to be done in order to take Kylo serious as a major villain or else he would have just appeared as an angry emo kid with overwhelming rage issues, or late puberty.

I do wish Luke was in the movie more but that scene was perfect and easily my favorite of the entire film.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:20 PM
Scholar

I saw it opening night. I have a brother that works at a movie theater and he was able to score tickets.

I am glad to see that there are now four movies in the series.

The moment Han walked onto the bridge, I knew that he was goner :(

I like Ray and Fin. I think the two of them will make a great duo going forward, but BB8 is no replacement for R2D2. R2 still has my heart.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:57 PM
That fucking Guy...

I liked it.

Without considering the prequels which I don't hate...they just didn't "feel" like Star Wars to me, focusing on the Jedi side of things rather than the rebellion just, didn't work for me personally.
Some nice swordfights acknowledged, and probably one of the better musical scores, for me did not really bring these home.
I just feel like I...could have done without them to be honest, Vader served well enough as a parable anyways, I didn't really need to be handheld through his fall.

Anyhow.
The Force Awakens.
Still, it's not even going to measure up is something that I realise, but for the first time since I was a child - I feel like I went to the cinema and watched an actual Star Wars movie. JJA may be the new kid, but I think he showed a great deal of respect to the Trek universe - and has moved on to giving a film experience that felt much more at home in the original Star Wars universe.
I feel like I watched STAR WARS.
I didn't feel like I was watching something *trying to be*.

So, as above, without counting the prequels my preference for the original trilogy went like this.

5, 4, 6.
This one...probably someplace between 4 and 6 at this stage.

Loved the idea of a programmed Storm trooper going rogue...even if he was a touch too comedy-relief-y at times, he was a solid character and I think the massacre scene at the beginning was very powerful.

The rest of the new cast. Not unlikable. Not remarkably awesome or anything, though I think the pilot guy will be an interesting one to follow.
The "old" cast did feel somewhat secondary but not to the point that it made it suck or anything. They were there, though the new cast with a side of Solo carried most of the film.

Great sets. The vehicles made me feel back at home. Cool space battles, and some gunfights that were done on a style that while I was unaccustomed to, worked very well.
Loved that the new order seems to be more full of bastards than the empire.
Also, anti Sabre weapons? Cool.

All in all 7.5/10
Derivative or not...it gave me Star Wars in the cinema again.

Also here's a repost of a theory I had...if we wanna talk shop some more...

I think Kylo was a rebel plant into the new order to eventually destroy it from within, and has since (both to maintain his cover and due to exposure) gone dark.
I feel like we're going to see more of what happened when he initially went in.

I think Han was there to say Goodbye.
Kylo "Knew what he had to do but didn't know if he was strong enough", asked for help.
I figure there was nothing duplicitous about that conversation...whether or not some telepathic type communication took place between them...At this point it became integral to maintain his cover and to continue his mission.
He was asking Han to either kill him and end his mission or to be killed by his hand so he could continue it and overcome the doubt the new order/Hux had shown.

He attacked Rey because again, maintaining his cover - and to add to that he had daddy issues. Perhaps he was made to feel like he NEEDED to infiltrate the new order by either Luke and/or Han.

He didn't speak to Vader with the helmet, he spoke to Anakin.
Vader started nothing.
Anakin started everything when it came to the fall of the empire.
What needed to be "finished" that he had started was said fall - eg, new order needs to be taken down.

So Han, was there to say goodbye.
Leia was...sadly deluded.
Even if he completes his mission, chances of him "coming home" are very low.

What happened at the end?
"He's now ready to enter his next level of training".
More trust. Further up the ranks.
Plan intact.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:18 PM
Scholar

To argue counterpoint to your theory, when Rey gets into the head of Kylo Ren, she finds that his biggest fear is that he will never be as strong as Darth Vader. Why would he be scared to never be as strong as Darth Vader. Does it not seem that Darth Vader is his idol?
Old 12-29-2015, 09:10 PM
That fucking Guy...

It does seem that way...if you subscribe to the theory that Vader actually "started" anything that needs finishing.
Old 12-29-2015, 10:00 PM
Banned

you got to remember too, Luke is the only one who knows Vader turned away from the darkside at the very end. Assuming he never told Leia, Kylo wouldnt know he is fighting for a false purpose.

When Kylo said he would finish what Vader started, he is saying he will destroy the remaining jedi which at this point he only knows to be Luke. He has already killed all of Luke's students and wants to finish it.

Imagine how sick of The Cure all the storm troopers will be when he learns the truth lol
Old 12-29-2015, 10:41 PM
Banned

When Kylo said he knew what he needed to do but didnt know if he could, I took it as killing his father was a step towards proving his worth and despite his hatred for his father I think Han really got to him which is what made it hard for him to kill Han.

It showed Kylo along with the knights of Ren standing over dead bodies during Rey's vision which makes me think those bodies were Jedis Luke was training.

It is possible Kylo is pulling a Professor Snape on the order but I just dont see it.

I wouldnt be surprised if there is a twist somewhere in 8 or 9 though to add some freshness to the series.
Old 01-01-2016, 02:36 PM
Jason's Shack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevalier View Post
To argue counterpoint to your theory, when Rey gets into the head of Kylo Ren, she finds that his biggest fear is that he will never be as strong as Darth Vader. Why would he be scared to never be as strong as Darth Vader. Does it not seem that Darth Vader is his idol?
Darth Vader is his idol so he is afraid that he will never live up to him. To make a comparison its like your dad is a professional baseball player and your worried you'll not be able to live up to his name.

Recent Movie Watches
Back to the Future 3 7/10
Predator 9/10
Terminator 5 7/10