Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > True Crime
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-11-2004, 11:17 PM
NBC > You

Send a message via AIM to Rotting Eye
Problem: expensive pet food billAnswer: roadkill

They found a home crawling with life: About 200 creatures -- including alligators, scorpions and carnivorous beetles -- formed a bizarre menagerie kept alive by a woman who fed them roadkill.

"The smell was just unbelievable," said William Mitchell, a state conservation warden who found about 70 ducks cramped in a basement pen with droppings covering the floor. "It was really stinking. ... It made my eyes water."

Neighbors had complained about the foul smell.

Animal carcasses were in a freezer and decaying carcasses were in an adjacent garage. Among the dead animals were raccoons, rabbits, opossums and squirrels.

Jamie L. Verburgt, the apartment resident, was given two state citations for possessing game animals out of season, Mitchell said. Verburgt's phone number is unlisted.

"She said they were car kills," Mitchell said. "I warned her that it is illegal to take dead animals off the side of a road. ... The dead animals were used to feed the live animals, and some were given to flesh-eating beetles."

Among the other live animals found were snakes, rats, turtles and toads.

The live animals were seized by the Washington County Humane Society, pending investigation by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Mitchell said.

Mitchell said federal wildlife officials plan to investigate those who sold animals to Verburgt through the Internet.

"She intended to sell the animals to pet stores," he said.

Verburgt's boyfriend, John Walters, was prosecuted in 2000 for mistreatment of exotic animals.

At that time, police found a female cougar, female leopard, silver-tailed fox, monitor lizard, two caracals, a coatimundi, chinchilla and a reticulated python in Walter's apartment in Greenfield, another Milwaukee suburb.

My favorite horror moment: http://www.horror.com/forum/showthre...&threadid=4026

You may not like what I have to say, but I'll defend to your death my right to say it.
Old 05-12-2004, 06:33 AM
legal eyes

Send a message via AIM to jay o2 waster
holy shit
Old 05-20-2004, 09:40 AM
BMXICAN

What a nutcase.

Jesus had a tough life. I read about that guy. Jesus is the only guy that ever came back from the dead that didn't scare the F--- out of everybody!
-Sam Kinison
Old 05-20-2004, 10:21 AM
zipperface

Send a message via AIM to HappyCamper Send a message via Yahoo to HappyCamper
well there's one woman, who's not gonna freak out, if a roach crawls over her foot in the middle of the night on her way to the bathroom!
Just listen to this sentence and tell me what it means. I haven't seen Evil Dead II yet? Would you get the impression that i wanted to see it? Oh, well you couldn't have been dying to see it or else you would have already gone. So in your opinion would I definitely see it?
How the fuck should I know probably!
Why? Because it's a brilliant film, it's so funny, and the soundtrack kicks fucking ass!