Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > True Crime
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-05-2004, 09:29 AM
Umbra Asylum

Send a message via Yahoo to bloodrayne
Man Kills Brother To Prove His Love For God

'MESSIAH' KILLED HIS BROTHER FOR GOD'S LOVE

A Farmer who believed he was the second Messiah killed his brother by running him over with a tractor because he thought he had to prove his love to God.

Michael Clark was insane when he killed his brother, Billy Clark, at Auchnabo Farm, near Ellon, on April 17.

He had been a patient in Aberdeen's Royal Cornhill Hospital in 2001 and 2002, and was deemed to be well at a review in February.

Consultant psychiatrist Lindsay Thomson, of the state hospital at Carstairs where Clark is held, confirmed he has a history of mental problems and was insane at the time of the incident.

She told the High Court in Stonehaven that Clark is "a considerable risk to the public and in particular to members of his family".

Dr Thomson said he suffers from a mental illness, probably bipolar affective disorder.

Clark claimed to have killed his brother "to prove to God that he loved him".

He believed his brother would come back from the dead, she added.

NHS Grampian declined to comment last night because of patient confidentiality rules.

Mr Clark, 45, a veteran of the Falklands and Northern Ireland, was married with three children when he died.

His family released a statement through police which said the "tragic" incident "could and should have been avoided".

"No matter the outcome of today's judgment in court, nothing will ever replace the void left by the tragic loss of Billy, a loving and most cherished husband and dad," the statement read.

"Hopefully, lessons will be learned to ensure that nothing like this can ever be allowed to occur again."

His wife, Alison, said: "Unfortunately for me and the children we have to live with the consequences of that night forever."

Michael Clark, 44, pleaded not guilty to murder and to a further charge of attempted murder and lodged a special defence of insanity at the High Court in Stonehaven.

His defence team and the Crown agreed the facts prior to the case being dealt with.

They were that Clark had run over his brother, was insane at the time and therefore not responsible for his actions, the court heard.

The 44-year-old was working as a labourer for agricultural firm Charles Esson and Sons, which rented the farm, when the incident took place.

On the day of the tragedy, one of the firm's directors, Charles Esson, found a job had not been done and went looking for Clark.

He found his tractor in a field at Auchnabo, with Clark inside - but he resisted Mr Esson's attempts to open the door.

Further attempts to communicate with him failed and Mr Esson drove to his home nearby, where he contacted Billy Clark, 45, for assistance.

When the pair returned to the farm the tractor was in the same position, but Clark was nowhere to be seen.

Mr Esson then left to attend to other business.

At 10pm Billy Clark telephoned his wife from the farm and asked her to contact the police.

When Mr Esson returned he found Billy Clark at the gate of the field.

The tractor's headlights were on and its engine was being revved. Michael Clark drove round the field in circles before driving at his brother and Mr Esson, forcing them to run to safety.

At this point two police constables and a sergeant arrived at the farm.

Clark later shouted "Billy" from the tractor and as his brother approached, drove round the field before heading towards him at speed.

Billy Clark began to run towards the gate but was struck and thrown into the air.

Mr Esson and the police officers were forced to dive out of the way, leading to the attempted murder charge.

He was then taken from the cab by the police who used CS gas.

Police told him they were there to help him but he told them: "How can you help me? I've murdered my brother."

The jury was directed to accept Clark's not-guilty pleas by judge Lord Osborne.

He told them: "In the circumstances you have no option but to return a verdict of not guilty on account of the accused's insanity."

Although Clark has been responding to medication, Lord Osborne accepted Dr Thomson's opinion that he requires ongoing care and treatment in a high-security psychiatric setting.

Lord Osborne returned Clark to the state hospital, where he will remain indefinitely.

Detective Inspector Mark Cooper, who led the investigation, said Clark was an ill man who suddenly lost control.

"On the night of his death, Billy was trying to help Michael. This makes this tragedy all the greater," he said.

"In this case, perhaps more than most, today's hearing will not bring an end to the suffering for Billy's family.

"Our thoughts are with them at this difficult time."

My Karma ran over my Dogma

God WAS my co-pilot...But, we crashed in the mountains and...I had to eat him

I'm suffocating in what's become of me...
The rancid remains of what I used to be