Old 01-01-2010, 07:31 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via AIM to The Mothman
Surveillance
thought it was ok, didn't like the twist.

Click for B-Movie reviews!
Old 01-01-2010, 09:05 PM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Send a message via AIM to The_Return
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962)

A few months back I watched a wonderful documentary on John Ford...I hadn't seen any of his films at the time, but was immediately on the lookout for some of his work. Well, this is the first film of his that I've had the opportunity to watch, and I couldn't be more impressed. A western that beyond being beautifully shit and well acted, really leaves you with something to think about. Our two "heroes" - John Wayne's Tom Doniphon and James Stewart's Ransom Stoddard - are both fascinating characters, and the film leaves you with a moral dilemma: both men have their own flaws and made their own mistakes...but who did the right thing?

Absolutely makes my list of favourite westerns, and I'll be checking out more of Ford's work as soon as I can.

Quote:
This is the West, sir. When the legend becomes fact...print the legend.

Invictus (2009)

A good film, but I was expecting more from Eastwood. Freeman, Damon and the supporting cast all give fantastic performances, but the film as a whole seemed overlong - the blame for which lies partially with the poorly paced script, but also with the lackluster (and often inappropriate) score. I was interested from beginning to end and there were some brilliant moments here and there, but it could easily have been 20 minutes shorter and had a much stronger impact.
Old 01-01-2010, 09:35 PM
Evil Puppy

Sherlock Homes
I went in not expecting much but I really enjoyed it. There was a moment in the beginning half where I almost fell asleep but after a nudge from the wife my interest was captured. For the life of me I can't figure out why films today love to flirt with that two and a half hour length, especially when it seems so unnecessary. Good flick though, can't wait for the next.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:13 PM
Cranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Return View Post
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962)

A few months back I watched a wonderful documentary on John Ford...I hadn't seen any of his films at the time, but was immediately on the lookout for some of his work. Well, this is the first film of his that I've had the opportunity to watch, and I couldn't be more impressed. A western that beyond being beautifully shit and well acted, really leaves you with something to think about. Our two "heroes" - John Wayne's Tom Doniphon and James Stewart's Ransom Stoddard - are both fascinating characters, and the film leaves you with a moral dilemma: both men have their own flaws and made their own mistakes...but who did the right thing?

Absolutely makes my list of favourite westerns, and I'll be checking out more of Ford's work as soon as I can.

A true classic. Can't forget to mention badass Lee Marvin.
I highly recommend The Quiet Man. My favorite Ford film (though it's an unusual one for him) and my favorite John Wayne film.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 01-01-2010, 10:21 PM
Misanthrope

My favorite Wayne film is still The Searchers. But The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance is solid for sure.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:39 PM
That fucking Guy...

Star Trek '09
Still not much bad to say about this film, I really liked it...the opening is crazy and pretty emotional and I just think the whole thing is pretty epic.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:45 PM
Pirate of Bengal

Brothers (2009)

>>: B
Old 01-01-2010, 11:28 PM
Cranky

Rollerball (the original)
They just don't make em like that any more.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 01-02-2010, 05:09 AM
wolflover

The Breakup-surprisingly funny!
Old 01-02-2010, 06:29 AM
Bad Natured

The Bank Job (2008). It was nice to see Jason Statham get a chance to prove that he can act without the requisite action scenes to bolster his qualities. This was a top notch caper flick. Although it started a little slow, once it got going the pacing was perfect. With little initial action, the story-telling was enough to keep the viewer more than interested; there was sufficient character development to get the viewer to care about the characters. As usual with British caper flicks, this was nicely convoluted such that the characters were all nicely intertwined. Acting was strong, direction was fine, lubba lubba lubba. Overall a great crime drama. AShe.
derek

Fate is my mistress, mother of the cruel abomination that is hope.