Old 02-13-2020, 10:32 AM
Little Boo

Well I liked it.

Well first of all no Ghostbusters movie is really a horror movie.

And I liked the Lady Ghostbusters. I don't see what's not to like.

What is SNL?
Old 02-13-2020, 10:37 AM
Little Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare-elm2112 View Post
You do know that Amy Pascal used the death of Harold Ramis to push Ivan Reitman off of Ghostbusters? So she can put Paul Feig on it then had the balls to dedicate this abomination of a movie to Harold Ramis?

I didn't like this pile of man hating shit

This is coming from a long time A Nightmare on Elm St. fan and the remake to that was way better then this was to both the Ghostbusters franchise and to Harold Ramis.

I don't know where you got the misandry but I saw none. I'm a male who is very sensitive to misandry but I still never got that impression. How on earth is it insulting original fans? Is there a subliminal message saying "fans of the original read Ayn Rand"?

I am baffled. Just because someone doesn't a female lead movie doesn't make them a misogynist (have you seen "The Descent"?) but I'm beginning to think the hate for this movie is just the hate for women really being integrated into society and being written like make characters.

By this I mean that they are smart (3 PhDs) yet engage in reckless behaviour and sometimes are blatantly thinking with their clitorises. But they still save the day.

They weren't some obnoxious gate keeper of morality like Hermione Granger.

I was gutted when I found the new movie wouldn't be a return of the girls.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:41 AM
Little Boo

I see now

OK, I think I've found the problem.

People didn't hate this movie, they just had a fixed idea in their head what a new Ghostbusters movie should be (even a remake).

And so they held this not only to an impossibly high standard but felt it should be just like the original. If you want the original just watch the original. I've never seen it though.

You don't owe it to like it but you do owe it to watch it for it is, not what it isn't, because otherwise you miss out on a good experience.

Maybe it wasn't (entirely) misogyny after all.
Old 02-13-2020, 08:41 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by MockTurtle View Post
OK, I think I've found the problem.

People didn't hate this movie, they just had a fixed idea in their head what a new Ghostbusters movie should be (even a remake).

And so they held this not only to an impossibly high standard but felt it should be just like the original. If you want the original just watch the original. I've never seen it though.

You don't owe it to like it but you do owe it to watch it for it is, not what it isn't, because otherwise you miss out on a good experience.

Maybe it wasn't (entirely) misogyny after all.
Nice to have you on the forum, MT. Glad you liked Ghostbusters (2016). But you have to admit, the film makers named the film, "Ghostbusters"... and not only that, they took the gear and tons of other things from the GB-1984 film. It milked the old fans. And films tend to be compared with other films, and this film embraced the legacy of the first.

People who never saw the original are much more likely to enjoy this film. But for those who have already seen GB-1984, or like-films after it, are likely to find it mostly old hat, or even a lifeless hack. The rare folks who saw GB-1984 first-run know the film was quite original in many ways, and so making a film with the same name, without also being adventurously original is a poor leading hand.

Unfortunately, I think you're enjoyment of the original will be lessened because you saw the 2016 film. Can't relive an original experience, it's just a fact of life.