Old 11-05-2018, 12:44 PM
Rotten Stinky Zombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
Dark Shadows was not great, but I enjoyed it. I went to the theatre with a group of friends, some of whom had been fans of the show. I had only seen a few episodes.

It did bother me a little about Depp's vampire character killing innocent people. He wasn't the hero, a bit of an anti-hero, but as I recall, not entirely the main character either. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I was sort of expecting a tongue-in-cheek antihero vampire. It was hit and miss for me. I don't even remember the ending mostly because it was so weird to me, I think I was losing track of what happening at the end.
Yeah and also he didn't seem to enjoy killing people and he would even apologize to the human victims before draining their blood like when he said "You can't imagine how thirsty I am!". But still...

He definetly was an antihero, but I liked Depp as Sweeney Todd better. Actually Todd wasn't so much an antihero as he was a villainous protagonist. Same with Ms. Lovett. They were both obviously evil and yet Todd was a sympathetic villain who had a terrible thing done to him and Ms. Lovett was a quirky sociopath but had a softspot for both Mr. Todd and Toby.

They were such interesting and complex characters. Ms. Lovett was my favorite. I think that was Helena Bonham Carter's best role.
Old 11-05-2018, 04:55 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvablePsycho View Post
Yeah and also he didn't seem to enjoy killing people and he would even apologize to the human victims before draining their blood like when he said "You can't imagine how thirsty I am!". But still...

He definetly was an antihero, but I liked Depp as Sweeney Todd better. Actually Todd wasn't so much an antihero as he was a villainous protagonist. Same with Ms. Lovett. They were both obviously evil and yet Todd was a sympathetic villain who had a terrible thing done to him and Ms. Lovett was a quirky sociopath but had a softspot for both Mr. Todd and Toby.

They were such interesting and complex characters. Ms. Lovett was my favorite. I think that was Helena Bonham Carter's best role.
I've seen a ton of films with Helena. I'm sure I'd love her if I ever met her, but sorry to say I never warmed up to her characters. Relatively speaking, I liked her best in the first part of Fight Club, when they're both going to meetings. And then sorta enjoyed her as Queen of Hearts. I'd probably like her best in Room with a View, but I doubt I'll ever be in a mood to see it. It's interesting how she's basically turned into a professional villain actress.

Last edited by Sculpt; 11-05-2018 at 04:56 PM.
Old 11-05-2018, 05:02 PM
Rotten Stinky Zombie

Quote:
I've seen a ton of films with Helena. I'm sure I'd love her if I ever met her, but sorry to say I never warmed up to her characters. Relatively speaking, I liked her best in the first part of Fight Club, when they're both going to meetings. And then sorta enjoyed her as Queen of Hearts. I'd probably like her best in Room with a View, but I doubt I'll ever be in a mood to see it. It's interesting how she's basically turned into a professional villain actress.
I think she makes a damn good villain! Also her quirky gothic sense of style combined with her classy beauty reminds me of actress Angelica Huston.

What can I say? I love a femme fatale-type of female character.

To me evil ladies are so much more likable than evil gents.

Also speaking of Johnny Depp's characters killing innocent people in both Dark Shadows and Sweeney Todd, I guess it didn't bother me as bad in Sweeney Todd because he was clearly a villain protagonist and not a hero or antihero. He also got exactly what he deserved in the end for killing all those people (and so did Ms. Lovett) so it wasn't like one of those types of stories where the psychopath gets away with his or her crimes and rides off into the sunset.

I also liked him as Ichabob Crane in Sleepy Hollow where Burton put a new twist on the character and instead of being a cowardly superstitous man like in the book he was a police constable from New York who wanted to solve crimes using science and logic. He was kind of like a Sherlock Holmes-type of character without the sociopathy or the drug addictions.

Also I loved Christina Ricci as Katrina Van Tessel. She's such an underrated actress and one of my favorites. The actress who played her stepmother was really good too.

Last edited by LuvablePsycho; 11-05-2018 at 06:03 PM.
Old 11-05-2018, 07:58 PM
ventricle

Quote:
I think she makes a damn good villain! Also her quirky gothic sense of style combined with her classy beauty reminds me of actress Angelica Huston.

What can I say? I love a femme fatale-type of female character.

To me evil ladies are so much more likable than evil gents.

Also speaking of Johnny Depp's characters killing innocent people in both Dark Shadows and Sweeney Todd, I guess it didn't bother me as bad in Sweeney Todd because he was clearly a villain protagonist and not a hero or antihero. He also got exactly what he deserved in the end for killing all those people (and so did Ms. Lovett) so it wasn't like one of those types of stories where the psychopath gets away with his or her crimes and rides off into the sunset.

I also liked him as Ichabob Crane in Sleepy Hollow where Burton put a new twist on the character and instead of being a cowardly superstitous man like in the book he was a police constable from New York who wanted to solve crimes using science and logic. He was kind of like a Sherlock Holmes-type of character without the sociopathy or the drug addictions.

Also I loved Christina Ricci as Katrina Van Tessel. She's such an underrated actress and one of my favorites. The actress who played her stepmother was really good too.
Helena Bonham Carter does a great job. I think part of the problem is now she's asked to play the same character over and over again.

I really loved Christina's delivery as Wednesday. And she does a fine job is Black Snake Moan.

Old 11-05-2018, 08:08 PM
Banned

I have had a hardcore sexual obsession with Christina Ricci for years now.
Old 11-05-2018, 10:23 PM
Rotten Stinky Zombie

I loved her as Wednesday Addams too and I also liked her performance as famed American murder suspect Lizzie Borden in "Lizzie Borden Took An Ax". After watching the movie I was fascinated by this real life crime story and decided to do a little research of my own about the murders and was impressed to learn how historically accurate this movie was to what actually happened. Lizzie Borden never was proven guilty of the murders of her parents but there was such strong circumstantial evidence against her that many people believe she most likely did it and got away with it, and just like in the movie, in real life her sister Emma who stood by her and supported her throughout the trial mysteriously left town one day and never visited her sister her again. I think it's most likely because Lizzie really did confess to her about murdering their parents and Emma feared that she might be next.

The movie was great, but I didn't care much for the mini series The Lizzie Borden Chronicles because it threw every historical fact out the window and even discounted the ending of the original movie.
Old 11-06-2018, 03:55 PM
ventricle

Quote:
I loved her as Wednesday Addams too and I also liked her performance as famed American murder suspect Lizzie Borden in "Lizzie Borden Took An Ax". After watching the movie I was fascinated by this real life crime story and decided to do a little research of my own about the murders and was impressed to learn how historically accurate this movie was to what actually happened. Lizzie Borden never was proven guilty of the murders of her parents but there was such strong circumstantial evidence against her that many people believe she most likely did it and got away with it, and just like in the movie, in real life her sister Emma who stood by her and supported her throughout the trial mysteriously left town one day and never visited her sister her again. I think it's most likely because Lizzie really did confess to her about murdering their parents and Emma feared that she might be next.

The movie was great, but I didn't care much for the mini series The Lizzie Borden Chronicles because it threw every historical fact out the window and even discounted the ending of the original movie.
I haven't seen any of the Lizzie projects.

Honestly, I don't want to see Ricci or Bonham Carter in anymore Burton-esque films (besides as voice actors). These actresses can do more than dark gothy caricatures... they did good jobs, but it's just horribly worn out to me. At the very least, it's probably better when there's only one goth, like in Beetlejuice (Winona Rider) and Edwardsisorhands (Depp), got to pull open the shades sometimes for contrast.

Old 11-06-2018, 04:24 PM
Rotten Stinky Zombie

Quote:
I haven't seen any of the Lizzie projects.

Honestly, I don't want to see Ricci or Bonham Carter in anymore Burton-esque films (besides as voice actors). These actresses can do more than dark gothy caricatures... they did good jobs, but it's just horribly worn out to me. At the very least, it's probably better when there's only one goth, like in Beetlejuice (Winona Rider) and Edwardsisorhands (Depp), got to pull open the shades sometimes for contrast.
Ricci didn't really seem so goth in Sleepy Hollow. More like Glenda: The Good Witch of the North.
Old 11-07-2018, 12:40 AM
Immortal horror fan

Quote:
If there was one movie you'd watch on Halloween, that you've seen before, but would only see once a year on Halloween, which film would it be?
I think key in this post is a movie that you have seen before but would only see once a year. That leaves out a lot of classic horror movies for me as I watch those more than once a year. Stuff already posted like The Thing and Halloween 1 and 3.

My pick would be Trick r Treat. I like the setup and theme. It's probably one of the best, if not the best movie about a town celebrating Halloween and what goes on during that time. But I'm not the biggest fan of the movie itself. I guess it was the hype as I read people saying it was as good as Halloween. Which it isn't to me. But I would be ok watching it once a year on Halloween. I haven't seen it in full since I reviewed it. I caught a few scenes this year. I have the vinyl soundtrack as well.
Old 11-07-2018, 11:46 AM
ventricle

Quote:
Ricci didn't really seem so goth in Sleepy Hollow. More like Glenda: The Good Witch of the North.
That's kind of what I mean, it's not what she was wearing, it's the character she played. Even when she's dressed in white with blonde hair, in a film like Sleepy Hollow, she seems dark, gloomy and emotionless.

Maybe 'gothy' isn't the right word. Considering the circumstances it's not like she should be cheery, it's just the vibe... she seems like Wednesday in Sleepy Hollow to me. Of course the film hue is blue/grey and everyone looks pasty white, which is intended for mood, but that dark vibe is there too.

Although she's positive, and the scene where she give him the book she was convincingly warm, but for the rest of the film she isn't generating Glenda the Good Witch of the North in this, I don't think. But I'm probably projecting some of that on her, but that should be expected from a casting standpoint. Ricci is able to play the 'ray of light' for Icabod, but I don't think that was accomplished artistically here; not sure if that was really intended either.

Last edited by Sculpt; 11-07-2018 at 11:48 AM.