Old 04-27-2005, 07:00 AM
Hellraiser

Quote:
Originally posted by jenna26
The scene where Van Hesling is bitten and uses a branding iron...
Ah yes, searing flesh. Right up there, but not quite close to the "curtains" scene from Horror of Dracula (the quintessential Hammer Horror sequence for my money). Hmmm.... I'm noticing a Peter Cushing connection among everyone's favorites...

...including Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed, Elvis_Christ (now ya got me thinking of peanut butter and banana flavored communion wafers), which I agree is often overlooked in the Hammer catalog. Darker and more sadistic than the other films we've been discussing (and later [1969]... which might explain the shift in sensibilities).

A coincidence that all three were directed by Terence Fisher? Let's throw out another Fisher flic: Curse of the Werewolf. Gotta tell ya: the rapist beggar at the beginning of that one creeped me out when I was a kid.
Old 04-27-2005, 07:04 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally posted by lilknivesguy
Let's throw out another Fisher flic: Curse of the Werewolf. Gotta tell ya: the rapist beggar at the beginning of that one creeped me out when I was a kid.

One of my favorite Hammer films! I agree about the beggar rapist - it scared the hell out of me the first time I saw it.
Old 04-27-2005, 07:07 AM
Evil Dead

All this talk of Hammer - I just went into my queue in Netflix and loaded up with every Hammer movie they have! Shame I only get 3 movies at a time!:D
Old 04-27-2005, 09:08 AM
Evil Dead

Send a message via MSN to jenna26
Quote:
Originally posted by lilknivesguy
Ah yes, searing flesh. Right up there, but not quite close to the "curtains" scene from Horror of Dracula (the quintessential Hammer Horror sequence for my money). Hmmm.... I'm noticing a Peter Cushing connection among everyone's favorites...
Well, I admit that I always found Peter Cushing as Van Helsing more fascinating than Christopher Lee as Dracula. Lee made a great Dracula, don't get me wrong, but there was something about Cushing I found very appealing.

Oh and Curse of the Werewolf is also one of my favorites. But I have never seen Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed.
Old 04-27-2005, 11:47 AM
Hellraiser

Quote:
Originally posted by jenna26
Oh and Curse of the Werewolf is also one of my favorites. But I have never seen Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed.
My memory is hazy; last I saw Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed I think it was 2000 or 2001 on either SciFi or AMC. Now I'll have to go get the DVD! But I do recall it is a slower pace and much more serious than Hammer's other Frankenstein films.

SPOILER: no monster. Or should I say no creature. For it is Cushing's Baron Victor Frankenstein that is the monster here, moreso than ever. A total sadist, conducting an experiment with brains among unwilling participants.

Some critics apparently thought it was on the dull side, but I remember it being quite good. Of course, memory is kind. And I have a soft spot for Cushing, who gets a lot of screen time in this one. Others out there who have seen it? Your thoughts?
Old 04-29-2005, 09:02 AM
I Am Male.

Yup, have fun watching em'.

Favorite Band: Black Sabbath
Second Fav Band: Pink Floyd
Favorite Non Horror Movie: Papillon
5 Fav Horror Authors: Stephen King, Anne Rice, Edgar Allan Poe, H. P. Lovecraft, and Mary Shelley.