Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Vintage Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-20-2006, 04:08 AM
Umbra Asylum

Send a message via Yahoo to bloodrayne
Classics That Would Make Great Remakes

We've had a lot of remakes recently, and I'm sure there are gonna be a lot more...So, if you had your choice, what would you like to see redone?

The classics are old and many were restricted by available technology and prudence...We can do SO much more now in terms of effects, and the amount of gore that is actually PERMITTED...

Some were already amazing, I'd like to see a new version of them...Some could have been much better, I'd like to see them made that way, too...Some were great ideas, but lacked a little something, maybe they could be remade and have 'what's missing' added...And, for some of them I think just COLOR would make a big difference

I think Rosemary's Baby, Whatever Happened To Baby Jane, The Nanny and many more could be AWESOME if redone by today's standards

Oooh...What could we do with 'Creature From The Black Lagoon'?

My Karma ran over my Dogma

God WAS my co-pilot...But, we crashed in the mountains and...I had to eat him

I'm suffocating in what's become of me...
The rancid remains of what I used to be

Last edited by bloodrayne; 01-20-2006 at 04:13 AM.
Old 01-20-2006, 05:49 AM
Banned

War of the Worlds ..

I said this just before i found out there was going to be another bullshit remake.

i want a high budget version done exactly as in the book.
Peter JAckson should have directed it instead of Speilberg
Old 01-20-2006, 06:28 AM
Hellraiser

The Beast With Five Fingers was a great 'old dark house' film. What about a remake of 'M' (I'm a big Lorre fan) and possibly a sequal to 'The Thing'.
Old 01-20-2006, 06:43 AM
Banned

Re: Classics That Would Make Great Remakes

Quote:
Originally posted by bloodrayne
And, for some of them I think just COLOR would make a big difference
YIKES ! that was a huge part of the charm and atmosphere of the classics you mentioned !

Quote:

I think Rosemary's Baby, Whatever Happened To Baby Jane, The Nanny and many more could be AWESOME if redone by today's standards
both Rosemary's Baby and Whatever Happened to Baby Jane were character studies .. i cant see how the benefit of todays standards could improve on either of those films .. they weren't about effects .. they were about tension, suspense, and relationships. Those were fine as they were

Quote:
Originally posted by bloodrayne
Oooh...What could we do with 'Creature From The Black Lagoon'?
[/B]
maybe ..... but it would be a completely different movie ..
Like old godzilla vs new godzilla .. the cornball looks and makeup were the reasons that that monster is one of the most recognizable and beloved horror icons of all times ..

the films that should be remade are the ones that deviated from the origional source ( War of the Worlds) or films that can actually be helped by a bigger budget and special effects.

but again .. keep in mind that it will become a different film and lose the atmosphere that made the origionals so popular...

in the case of The Thing - it succeeded .. but that was a rare exception.

Last edited by urgeok; 01-20-2006 at 11:10 AM.
Old 01-20-2006, 07:30 AM
Banned

How about the "Sinbad" movies. Now, i know Harryhausen's effects are a big part of their appeal but imagine what someone like a Peter Jackson could do.

I would also like to see a remake of "Trog" . I have fond memories of this from my childhood.

Old 01-20-2006, 07:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by newb
How about the "Sinbad" movies. Now, i know Harryhausen's effects are a big part of their appeal but imagine what someone like a Peter Jackson could do.

I would also like to see a remake of "Trog" . I have fond memories of this from my childhood.

excellent call on the sinbad movies .. i bet it would The Rock playing him too.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by urgeok
excellent call on the sinbad movies .. i bet it would The Rock playing him too.
I could see that.

I have NO problems with The Rock. He definitely has the physical abilities and i think he has the charm as well to fill the void left from Schwarzenegger and Stallone. Yes i also know they are not great thespians, but they had their place.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:56 AM
Banned

i think he's a very likeable guy and would actually suit the roll fine.
I didnt want to like him .. because i think professional wresling is a joke ... but he's hard not to like ..

(i.e - The Rundown)
Old 01-20-2006, 09:50 AM
Tenant

Quote:
Originally posted by mikeywalsh
The Beast With Five Fingers was a great 'old dark house' film. What about a remake of 'M' (I'm a big Lorre fan) and possibly a sequal to 'The Thing'.
I'm a huge Lorre fan too, but i'd do anything in my power to stop a remake of 'M'. it just could never be done. it wouldn't have the same eerie, sick feeling. I really don't think it could have been done.

I might get killed for saying this, but if I had to pick a classic to get remade i think I might try The Cabinet of dr. Caligari (again). If it was done right, it could be very bizzarre and chilling.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:12 AM
Evil Dead

"Curse Of The Demon" and "Nightmare Castle" would be my picks. I'd also like to see "Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark" remade even though I don't think it fits in the "classic" category.

But wouldn't remaking a classic kind of defeat the purpose of it being a classic? I mean, you couldn't remake Halloween and expect it too actually be any good.