Old 05-04-2016, 05:42 AM
Horror > Everything

Finally broke down and watched Let Me In, the Americanized version of the wonderful swedish film. Let The Right One In.

It has none of the original's subtlety and, of course, this flaw turns the characters into cookie cutter poop.
Old 05-04-2016, 05:42 PM
Evil Sweat

The Witch (2015)
Overrated. It all looked good and the acting's good but that's it.
It reminds me of the Babadook and It Follows.
Seems to me that for a horror movie to get some praise it's needs to look artsy on a limited budget and the story has to be vague.
Old 05-04-2016, 07:07 PM
病気の

The Hospital 2, 2015. 7/10

Thumb resize.

Thumb resize.

Last edited by DeadbeatAtDawn; 05-04-2016 at 07:10 PM.
Old 05-04-2016, 07:07 PM
Immortal horror fan

Ghost of Mars - Now I Get it Review!

I've been watching / listening to this movie on demand and now I finally get it. This was my old review of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalSlasher View Post
Ghosts of Mars -

I watched this movie years ago but after seeing The Ward I wanted to see it again. Perhaps it would come off better. But it still doesn't. Something is off about the movie. I can't name it exactly. It has similar themes to other Carpenter movies. The cast is good. You have Jackie Brown, The Transporter, one of the girls from The Faculty, and of course Natasha Henstridge. She looks hot in this movie and it's a better movie for her than those Species movies. But the movie might be played too serious. There are movies like Doomsday and Planet Terror which were inspired by Carpenter movies that are more fun than this movie. Perhaps it's the number of flashbacks. The movie has to get the award for the most flashback scenes I've ever seen. I could see how they might be seen as clever. But at times some make the movie feel slow. And a few probably could have been cut. Or handled better. At the end there is no true resolution to the problem. Or the characters aren't smart enough to realize what saved Natasha's character. So you still have the potential of people getting easily infected. Then when you have them gearing up for another battle that should be fun and exciting. A sequel to look forward to. As it will be the battle to save the city. Or end of the world scenario like many other Carpenter movies like The Thing, They Live, etc. But it doesn't come off as fun or exciting.
But now I realize what this movie is and how it works. It's like a Night of the Living Dead type with a sci-fi comic book movie twist. If I saw this movie back when I saw Night of the Living Dead 1990, I would probably like it even more. Back when I originally watched Ghost of Mars, I don't think I realized how cool the actress that played Jackie Brown is. She was in a bunch of old action movies. So her as the leader of this group of space cops is supposed to be another cool role for her. Jason Statham is the wise cracking cop like the Hudson character in Aliens. Of course this is before The Transporter but here you can see how cool the guy will be. And Natasha Henstridge is almost like the MacReady character from The Thing. She doesn't want to be bothered but takes up the lead when trouble hits. I think most know Natasha Henstridge from Species. I never liked those movies that much. I thought the Species Alien design was a rip off of Alien. I didn't know that they were by the same designer. But this is probably the best movie I've seen Natasha Henstridge in. Ice Cube is the bad ass prisoner, like Snake Plissken in from Escape from New York. Once things go crazy, they need him to get out of there.

I still don't think Ghosts of Mars is as fun as Doomsday. But Doomsday took so much from Carpenter and other movies of that time. Ghosts of Mars is just a few twists on the formula. At the end, I think we are supposed to want to see a continuation in comic book or other format. Like how Ice Cube's Desolation Williams character (I love that name) smiles at the screen. This is supposed to be a fun time at the movies. And unlike zombies getting inside a house, which is scary, this is supposed to be both fun and scary. A good movie to watch in the middle of the night.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:25 PM
Evil Sweat

10 Cloverfield Lane (2016)
Has a couple of moments but overal it's a feckin' rip-off.
And the Cloverfield link supposed to explain the creature from the original but it's doesn't make a lot of sense imo.
I really wish I didn't see this movie.

Note: what idiot came up with the full-on spoiler poster?

Last edited by Baron Von Marlon; 05-04-2016 at 08:28 PM.
Old 05-05-2016, 02:19 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Triple 9 (2016)

>>: B-

Spooks: The Greater Good aka MI-5 (2015)

>>: B-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repo'd View Post
Finally broke down and watched Let Me In, the Americanized version of the wonderful swedish film. Let The Right One In.

It has none of the original's subtlety and, of course, this flaw turns the characters into cookie cutter poop.
Ditto!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Marlon View Post
And the Cloverfield link supposed to explain the creature from the original but it's doesn't make a lot of sense imo.
**MINOR SPOILERS WARNING**

I understand your frustration. The thing is (according to wikipedia) the original title of it was The Cellar; then it seems they thought the idea can serve as a cashing in opportunity following the success of original CLOVERFIELD (2008) and labeled or calling it as a "Spiritual Sequel"(a successor to a work of fiction that does not build upon the storyline established by a previous work as do most traditional prequels or sequels, yet features some or many of the same elements, themes, and styles as its source material, thereby resulting in it being related or similar "in spirit" to its predecessor).
Therefore, other than having an alien invasion sort of apocalyptic scenario & the name 'Cloverfield' in its title, there weren't much similarities actually lies between the two films but still there is a little chance that may be a future sequel can give the answer(s) and bring some ties between these films.

But yeah...it'd be better to be a standalone film other than releasing it sort of a loose sequel of a popular flick. I enjoyed it. Liked the character driven, bit psychologically twisted story.
Old 05-05-2016, 04:44 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:

Note: what idiot came up with the full-on spoiler poster?
Do you like anything??
Old 05-05-2016, 09:34 AM
Evil Sweat

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshiq View Post
I understand your frustration. The thing is (according to wikipedia) the original title of it was The Cellar;

But yeah...it'd be better to be a standalone film other than releasing it sort of a loose sequel of a popular flick. I enjoyed it. Liked the character driven, bit psychologically twisted story.
I probably would've like it more if it was a standalone film.
The forced Cloverfield link was just wrong. And the ending ruined everything.
And, spoiler in white, "The aliens and how she destroys a big ship with a molotov..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by horcrux2007 View Post
Do you like anything??
You're younger and less critical. Wait 15-20 years and you won't be giving 9s and 10s that easily.
Btw, I have about 200 movies on dvd and over 1000 on my hard drive.
Maybe not much compared to others but I think it shows I like movies.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:12 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
I probably would've like it more if it was a standalone film.
The forced Cloverfield link was just wrong. And the ending ruined everything.
And, spoiler in white, "The aliens and how she destroys a big ship with a molotov..."

You're younger and less critical. Wait 15-20 years and you won't be giving 9s and 10s that easily.
Btw, I have about 200 movies on dvd and over 1000 on my hard drive.
Maybe not much compared to others but I think it shows I like movies.
I don't doubt that you've seen more movies than me, but I just don't understand how you dislike so many movies that people much older than me have enjoyed.

I'd also like to point out that I own about the same number of movies as you. You also seemed to love Deadpool while I just thought of it as enjoyable, yet Deadpool was more aimed at people my age.

Last edited by horcrux2007; 05-05-2016 at 11:13 AM.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:48 AM
Evil Sweat

Quote:
Originally Posted by horcrux2007 View Post
I don't doubt that you've seen more movies than me, but I just don't understand how you dislike so many movies that people much older than me have enjoyed.

I'd also like to point out that I own about the same number of movies as you. You also seemed to love Deadpool while I just thought of it as enjoyable, yet Deadpool was more aimed at people my age.
I don't always understand either but you can't choose what you like/dislike.
One man's trash is another man's treasure...

Don't know about the target audience for Deadpool.
I'd like to think it's aimed at adults too. People who are fed up with the watered down bloodless action, non-swearing adults and stupid decisions. Spoiler "Like letting the bad guy live. I was so happy Deadpool killed the bad guy. And I laughed out loud when Colossus puked." That's a logical decision followed by a natural, realistic reaction.
I appreciate stuff like that. But I'm wired a little differently so I pay attention to or care about certain things others might find trivial.

Tags
movie