Old 06-08-2009, 07:03 AM
Zydrate Anatomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkytrio666 View Post
What if I wanted a solid, filling entry into the genre, like Halloween in the 70s, A Nightmare on Elm Street in the 80s, Silence of the Lambs in the 90s? Drag Me to Hell as a kind of simultaneous crowd-pleaser for newcomers and salute to genre fans is fun for a ride, but what is it really saying about the state of the horror film? That we can only reminisce about the good old days from behind the comfort of safe, studio commercial filmmaking? I don't necessarily care about a rating; what bothers me is the difference in quality. The Evil Dead was a non-stop terror ride which never apologized and stayed gritty and fresh. Drag Me to Hell had to, for example, have a shot of Justin Long answering an iPhone. With Sam Raimi at the helm, I was ready for the next step in the horror movement; instead, I got pastiche.
Yeah, I really feel this. I was rather disappointed in the film, especially hearing all the rave reviews. I mean Entertainment Weekly gave it an A. They've never given that high a rating to horror movie. Part of my disappointment could be because I've seen so much horror, so it may take a lot more to impress me? I don't know, the whole movie kind of felt like Diet Horror. All the elements were there, but it didn't push it enough for me to feel horrified, it just fell weak. The ending also felt very predictable to me, though part of that could be because I had more time to think about it, as what was going on on the screen wasn't that terrifying.

Now, that being said. This may be the right level of horror for mainstream America, but I really expected more from Sam Raimi. It's almost like he's lost his way and got fat from Spider-Man, and just having an okay, profitable movie is enough for him now instead of making something truly inspiring.

I will have to say that he did one thing that I really liked. Most fortune tellers in movies are dark-haired women. I didn't realize how much of a stereotype this was until the "fortune teller" in DMTH was an Indian man, a seer. It was really refreshing and the actor playing the seer did a really good job.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:55 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via Yahoo to chaibill
I guess from watching so many dvd extras you can tell where they cut scenes short.
I think the goat scene should have been lengthened where the goat is terrorizing the characters. It appeared like it was cut. PG13? hope its expanded on dvd

Also in terminator salvation Mood Bloodgood's nude scene was cut when she and Sam are in the rain. Hope its on the dvd

But i liked drag me to hell. Definitely felt like evil dead 4 or had shades of evil dead. but i felt the cgi could have looked better the handkerchief looks too animated and some other stuff did .
i think a silk hanky on wires would have been more fun and fulfilling.
DOG SOLDIERS
SAW, THE OTHERS

THE EXORCIST, 28 DAYS LATER, 28 weeks later
PSYCHO, FRIDAY THE 13th movie series
Martyrs, DAWN OF THE DEAD
Old 06-10-2009, 02:34 AM
evil little boo

Send a message via Yahoo to marianne
it sounds really good but my friend says its crap but im still going to watch it.

marianne
Old 06-16-2009, 08:29 AM
HDC Sole Survivor!!

The film is a fantastic thrill ride from start to finish. It has great jumps and scares, fantastic suspense as well as wonderfully effective comedy. Raimi took the goofy, fun and scary themes (and a few gags) from his EVIL DEAD days and blends them with the thematic story telling and spolid set-up/pay-off structure he learned from the SPIDERMAN Movies.

It should be seen by a wider audience and it is certainly going to be a "gateway drug" for young/future horror fans. I think it is the POLTERGEIST for a new generation... nothing new brought to the table, but executed near-flawlessly.

This is my favorite film of the year so far and it made me feel like a kid watching FRIGHT NIGHT or CREEPSHOW for the first time.

9/10

"A man that studieth revenge keeps his own wounds green, which otherwise would heal and do well."
Francis Bacon

Last edited by Roderick Usher; 06-16-2009 at 08:32 AM.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:18 AM
Horrortunes

Quote:
Originally Posted by UngodlyWarlock View Post
How is there no thread about this yet? Or am I looking in the wrong places....
Raimi finally returns to form and nothing? It deserves it's own thread, 100%.

Reviews are all accurate as far as I am concerned. I have not had as much fun at a movie in a LONG time. It's scary, funny, clever, gross, and the sound department really outdid themselves.

Imagine Evil Dead 2 era Sam Raimi, with the matureness of doing everything else he has ever done and with a budget....that's Drag Me to Hell and for someone who often balks at spending 10 bucks on a movie, it absolutely has to be seen in a theater with a big crowd laughing and throwing popcorn around.

Check it out!

I was gonna do a thread about this movie but then I saw this one;P
I really enjoyed this movie, went to see it yesterday.

I got huge respect for Raimi/raimi`s for bringing back some old school in your face horror into modern horror...
The goat that went crazy on her and he scarf that screamed and many more good evil deadish scenes. The old Universial pictures logo used in the 80`s in the beginning and her car, the classic. Amazing:D

Also playing in the creds which I didn`t notice is the excorsisten theme from the old trailer. A movie worth checkin twice cause of all this stuff.

Last edited by Horrortunes; 06-24-2009 at 12:09 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:32 AM
Top Of The World Ma!!

if i hadnt heard of raimi before, hadnt seen any of the evil deads - this would be one of my favorite films.

unfortunately some of the fun was a little diluted by seeing things lifted right out of evil dead 2 ... but otherwise - a lot of fun.
(the twist was telegraphed too so i didnt have the pleasure of knot knowing how it was going to end)

as i've said before - the fight scene in the car was a riot - the high pint for me.

i didnt think this movie was worth an R .. the violence was all pretty cartoonish.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:08 AM
Evil Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by urgeok2 View Post
as i've said before - the fight scene in the car was a riot - the high pint for me.
One of my favorite film moments, a blast and a half.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:10 PM
No, fuck YOU

Could you people stop watching this movie and start watching Antichrist, please.

Thank you! :mad:
Old 06-24-2009, 02:51 PM
Evil Dead

Hahaha....kind of apples and oranges there.
Plus, is Antichrist even watchable in the US yet? I thought that just hit the festival only a month ago.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:19 PM
No, fuck YOU

Well, the danish premiere for Antichrist was at the same time as Drag Me To Hell had premiere in the states. And Drag Me To Hell has just come out in Denmark this week, so.... you know?

I'm tired of being the only one in here who've seen it.

Tags
drag me to hell