Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Music
Register FAQ Community Calendar

View Poll Results: Which Era Do You Prefer?
The 50's 0 0%
The 60's 3 15.79%
The 70's 3 15.79%
The 80's 7 36.84%
The 90's 3 15.79%
Other 3 15.79%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-01-2005, 06:40 AM
Undead

Send a message via AIM to surfnazi
The 60s definately win. That was the last time that so much great American and British music came out it was unbelievable. Nothing compares.

Some examples of the greatness....

The Doors, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Jefferon Airplane, The Who, The Byrds, Moby Grape, Ottis Redding, Richie Havens, Country Joe and the Fish, Joni Mitchell, Bob Dylan, Arlo Guthrie, Sly and the Family Stone, Marvin Gaye, Curtis Mayfield, Santana, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Led Zeppelin, The Faces, Mamas and the Papas, The Yardbirds, Canned Heat, Love, Pink Floyd, the Grateful Dead, Jimi Hendrix, Donovan, The Holy Modal Rounders, and so on.

Yeah thats just a short list man. No doubts. Not to discredit the 70s or 80s or 90s or 50s, but the 60s were the renniasiance man.

No one can describe rock and roll --, well maybe Pete Townshend but thats cool.
Old 06-01-2005, 06:43 AM
Evil Dead

Send a message via AIM to The Mothman
the 80's by far. definetly the 80's. Al that is good came out in the late 70's and all through the 8-0's and some came from the 60's. but not much. mostly just the Stones from the 60's.

But I would have done anything to have grown up in the 80's. what a bummer. I grew up in the 90's....shit. the 90's is where everything just went downhill rapidly.

Click for B-Movie reviews!

Last edited by The Mothman; 06-01-2005 at 06:46 AM.
Old 06-01-2005, 06:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by surfnazi
The 60s definately win. That was the last time that so much great American and British music came out it was unbelievable. Nothing compares.

Some examples of the greatness....

The Doors, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Jefferon Airplane, The Who, The Byrds, Moby Grape, Ottis Redding, Richie Havens, Country Joe and the Fish, Joni Mitchell, Bob Dylan, Arlo Guthrie, Sly and the Family Stone, Marvin Gaye, Curtis Mayfield, Santana, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Led Zeppelin, The Faces, Mamas and the Papas, The Yardbirds, Canned Heat, Love, Pink Floyd, the Grateful Dead, Jimi Hendrix, Donovan, The Holy Modal Rounders, and so on.

Yeah thats just a short list man. No doubts. Not to discredit the 70s or 80s or 90s or 50s, but the 60s were the renniasiance man.

many of those bands were far more prolific in the 70's than the 60's
Old 06-02-2005, 05:57 AM
Undead

Quote:
Originally posted by urgeok
many of those bands were far more prolific in the 70's than the 60's
Not really. The only ones I can think of are Led Zeppelin, Curtis Mayfield, Pink Floyd, and maybe CCR. The rest all started and kicked ass in the 60s (not to say the previous four didn't).

Oh and jesus how could I have forgot to mention these names in that list

Janis Joplin
The Beach Boys
Big Brother & the Holding Company
Joan Baez
Phil Ochs

Last edited by surfnazi; 06-02-2005 at 06:25 AM.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Not really. The only ones I can think of are Led Zeppelin, Curtis Mayfield, Pink Floyd, and maybe CCR. The rest all started and kicked ass in the 60s (not to say the previous four didn't).

Oh and jesus how could I have forgot to mention these names in that list

Janis Joplin
the stones, sly and the family stone, marvin gaye, santana ..

i cant consider them 60's bands.

i think of a 60's band as one that came and went in the 60's ..
the byrds, the turtles, blues magoos, electric prunes, paul revere and the raiders ... etc ...
Old 06-02-2005, 06:24 AM
Undead

Quote:
the stones, sly and the family stone, marvin gaye, santana ..

i cant consider them 60's bands.

i think of a 60's band as one that came and went in the 60's ..
the byrds, the turtles, blues magoos, electric prunes, paul revere and the raiders ... etc ...
I get what you're saying but I don't really understand the logic in it. Many a band that is considered a 60s band went on to more music in following decades. Hell the Beach Boys are STILL around, though not with all the original members.

And I consider The Stones, Sly and the fAmily Stone, Marvin Gaye, and Santana all 60s band because they grew and came to success in the 60s. Marvin Gaye came out with a slew of hits in the 60s including one of my favorites of his, Can I Get a Witness? Sly and the Family Stone because they came out with their biggest of hits, I Want to Take You Higher, in the 60s. Santana because they was when they really honed their skills and became a sucessful band( you should see their performance at Woodstock) and finally I can't understand how you can't consider The Stones a 60s band. Most of their big hits came out in the 60s, lest we forget about I Can't Get No Satisfaction? It was considering the defining song of the generation in the 60s, so I consider them a 60s band.

Basically to me any band that played at Woodstock can safely be considered a 60s band (Sly and the Family Stone, Santana, Jefferson Airplane, The Who, Richie Havens, Country Joe & the Fish, Arlo Guthrie, Canned Heat, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Joan Baez from my previous list)

Old 06-03-2005, 02:19 AM
Is Having a Baby!

surfnazi is 100% correct

Last edited by Deposable; 06-03-2005 at 01:45 PM.
Old 06-03-2005, 05:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
I get what you're saying but I don't really understand the logic in it. Many a band that is considered a 60s band went on to more music in following decades. Hell the Beach Boys are STILL around, though not with all the original members.

And I consider The Stones, Sly and the fAmily Stone, Marvin Gaye, and Santana all 60s band because they grew and came to success in the 60s. Marvin Gaye came out with a slew of hits in the 60s including one of my favorites of his, Can I Get a Witness? Sly and the Family Stone because they came out with their biggest of hits, I Want to Take You Higher, in the 60s. Santana because they was when they really honed their skills and became a sucessful band( you should see their performance at Woodstock) and finally I can't understand how you can't consider The Stones a 60s band. Most of their big hits came out in the 60s, lest we forget about I Can't Get No Satisfaction? It was considering the defining song of the generation in the 60s, so I consider them a 60s band.

Basically to me any band that played at Woodstock can safely be considered a 60s band (Sly and the Family Stone, Santana, Jefferson Airplane, The Who, Richie Havens, Country Joe & the Fish, Arlo Guthrie, Canned Heat, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Joan Baez from my previous list)

most of them came very late in the 60's and their 'sound' didnt define the 60's sound (to me.) Maybe moreso the stones but i still think they were much more influential in the 70's .. when their music was reaching a broader audience.

maybe it's a personal catalogue thing with me ...
its how i seperated my vinyl at home ... (and i have a lot so i had to give it some thought so i could find what i was looking for)

i guess you can say there were a number of different sounds in the 60's but the defining one to me is that 'hip groovy' sound of Jefferson Airplane - strawberry alarmclock ... and number of others you and i already listed ...

in the same way that when i think of the 70's i think of the bad hair and bell bottoms a la Grand Funk Railroad ..etc ..

there is a sound and look that becomes the strongest most recognized universal definition of the era .. and those bands eye deep in that sound and look are the ones that i consider the 60's or 70's bands ... i guess its a personal thing ..

i dont even consider the Beatles (we both avoided mentioning them) a 60's band because they are timeless ... as valid and non-topical today as they were 40 years ago ..
Old 06-04-2005, 04:00 PM
Undead

Quote:

i dont even consider the Beatles (we both avoided mentioning them) a 60's band because they are timeless ... as valid and non-topical today as they were 40 years ago ..
True, very true man. The Beatles are and forever will be completely timeless.

Old 06-05-2005, 02:15 AM
Is Having a Baby!

Honestly, even if I do prefer the 60's music. I sometimes feel like there is a lot of Hacks that came from the 60's and some 70's. Bands that couldn't play for a shit but yet still became popular.

Yeah, I know you could say "That happens in all era's" there is no doubt about that. but, the grateful dead wouldn't have became popular if they're music didn't apply to that group of burn-out/hippies in that time.

If the grateful dead came out in the 2000? would they be even half the size they were? I don't know. I guess they're is a lot of poser hippies around now a days. I know music has to appeal to groups, but when it feels forced applied like Weezer or the teenage anger bands like Slipknot. It seems like a selling product.