Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Foreign Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-10-2008, 09:16 PM
No, fuck YOU

"Blackbelt" 6-10
Old 08-12-2008, 01:46 AM
Don't close your eyes

Cool

I last saw Re-cycle. I'll give it 8/10. If anything just for the atmosphere that the film was trying to create. By this i mean pounding drums, matrix like effects and a great story. I really enjoy Japanese horror, because of it's obvious difference to other types. There seems to be a focus on karma mixed with spiritual/ religious belief through these films. This film was no different, a woman writing a novel, who notices that her life and events are being put into motion due to what she is writing and ultimately the pages that she is discarding. I don't want to say anymore, other than if you enjoy Japanese horror then give this a look. The downside was that the subtitles seemed to be very small. Also the english word translations were broken at times. I look forward to the next movie that the "Pang brothers" release. They also directed the original version of The eye.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:41 AM
HDC Idol

I just saw Re-Cycle (you taking advantage of Sundance On Demand this month too, stenchofdeath? :)).

First, I'd like to say that I am incredibly unimpressed with so far with what I've seen of Hong Kong Horror (the Pang Brothers are from Hong Kong, stenchofdeath, not from Japan). While The Eye, for example, is fairly iconic amongst Asian Horror fans, I found it lengthy and disappointing (though conceptually brilliant).

As for Re-Cycle. This movie can be summed up in one word: Turgid.

Overwrought, over-directed, over-produced... Far too much soundtrack, far too much insipid story line...

Like The Eye, the concept was brilliant. And the myriad of nightmarish visuals that take over the middle of the film are beautiful, macabre, interesting, and compelling... I felt as though I was at times wandering through Neil Gaiman's nightmares, or traveling through a live action version of Paprika... As soon as she steps off the elevator and begins her journey, I was captivated... But soon my attention was lost in what turned into a sappy contrived resolution. I think that this would have made an AMAZING 45-minute short of just her journey into The Abandoned. The boring and contrived background story coupled with the cheesy Disney-clad resolution at the end of her travels (What Dreams May Come, anyone?) made me just... angry.

I give this movie a C/C+, giving it extra credit for the stunning visuals. If the Pang Brothers had a better editor, this could have been a much, much better film... But, ultimately, I was just annoyed.

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 08-16-2008, 07:36 PM
HDC Idol

So the other night the boyfriend and I attempted to watch Ghost of Mae Nek, an insipidly derivative Thai ghost story. I was interested in the representation of the ghost (a black mouth-like oval was placed in the center of the apparition's forehead, which I found pretty interesting). Unfortunately that wasn't enough to keep our attention. The story was fairly insipid, so we turned it off. Meh.

Tonight, however, we watched The Red Shoes, a delightful little Korean chiller. I thought that the direction was clean, atmosphere was sufficiently eerie and suspenseful, and overall this was a fantastic little find. I thought that the scares were good, though, ultimately the movie went a bit long and its final ending was a bit contrived.

Overall, however, I would watch it again and definitely recommend it. B+/A-

Old 08-17-2008, 12:24 AM
No, fuck YOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post
So the other night the boyfriend and I attempted to watch Ghost of Mae Nek, an insipidly derivative Thai ghost story. I was interested in the representation of the ghost (a black mouth-like oval was placed in the center of the apparition's forehead, which I found pretty interesting). Unfortunately that wasn't enough to keep our attention. The story was fairly insipid, so we turned it off. Meh.

-

Don't watch "Nang Nak" then.

Ghost Of Mae Nek is like a sequal to it.

Nang Nak has got a better IMDB rating and i thought THAT movie was dull...
Old 08-17-2008, 05:37 AM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angra View Post
Don't watch "Nang Nak" then.

Ghost Of Mae Nek is like a sequal to it.

Nang Nak has got a better IMDB rating and i thought THAT movie was dull...
Good to know. I'll steer clear of that one, too.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:49 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Memories of Murder (2003)

Based on true events that took place in Korea from 1986 to 1991, Memories of Murder is not a typical serial killer movie..it's more than that. Instead of focusing on the murder scenes and shocking images like most conventional serial killer films, the movie puts much more time and details into the story, the situation of the time the incidents took place.
At the very beginning it was said that the case still remain unsolved but I almost started to forget this fact as the story runs with a great flow. The frustration of witnessing the many problems the investigators were facing and the very high tension during the murder scenes kept me hooked all along. Director Bong Joon-Ho beautifully portrayed every aspect of the film. Intense humor, brilliant cinematography, excellent character developments with the incredible casts delivered in a remarkable way.

Surely I'll always recall this movie in my all time favorite list.

>>: A+
Old 08-21-2008, 11:42 PM
Scares Little Kids

Gong Tau
The Spiritual World
Bloody Buns
Art Of The Devil 3
Old 08-22-2008, 01:28 PM
Pirate of Bengal

Casshern (2004)

>>: B
Old 08-22-2008, 01:56 PM
No, fuck YOU

"Tales of terror" 3/10

33 episodes of horror, each lasting 5 minutes.

What a horrible idea.

No story, no depth. You just sit through them, not giving a crap about any of the many colorless characters, waiting for something remotely scary to happen in the last seconds of each episode.