Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Books & Fiction Writing
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-18-2006, 04:53 PM
Misanthrope

Quote:
Originally posted by noctuary
I thought The Dark Half was good too. Not very many people seem to like it though. As for Clive Barker, I like to pretend that everything after Books of Blood and The Hellbound Heart never happened.
I don't see why. I think the Dark Half is his best book. As for Barker thats pretty much all I've read of him apart from Cabal.
Old 06-19-2006, 05:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Elvis_Christ
no love for the Dark Half? I thought that was pure gold.
nah ... you have to understand 0 because of my age - i read each book as it came out .. i was so sick of his ass by the time i read the stand that i hated pretty much everything since... i just dont like his style ..
Old 06-19-2006, 04:15 PM
Misanthrope

Quote:
Originally posted by urgeok
nah ... you have to understand 0 because of my age - i read each book as it came out .. i was so sick of his ass by the time i read the stand that i hated pretty much everything since... i just dont like his style ..
I never got thru the Stand I started it and just got bored with it. King was the first author I got into (well after S.E Hinton) as a kid so I've got a soft spot for him even tho I haven't bothered reading anything he's put out in the last 10 or 11 years (apart from starting Desperation which didn't seem to bad but I left my copy on a bus I think :) maybe someone else got a kick outta it).
Old 06-19-2006, 04:52 PM
Living Dead

Quote:
I never got thru the Stand I started it and just got bored with it. King was the first author I got into (well after S.E Hinton) as a kid so I've got a soft spot for him even tho I haven't bothered reading anything he's put out in the last 10 or 11 years (apart from starting Desperation which didn't seem to bad but I left my copy on a bus I think :) maybe someone else got a kick outta it).
You should read his newest book cell. Its really good, not like some of the junk he has put out lately.
Old 06-19-2006, 06:30 PM
Misanthrope

Quote:
Originally posted by evilreign
You should read his newest book cell. Its really good, not like some of the junk he has put out lately.
I might just do that if it ends up cheap. I'd like to buy more books but there so expensive!
Old 06-20-2006, 05:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
when i started hating King ... i discovered Graham Greene ..
once you discover that level of literary brilliance, there's no going back to the others.

s.e. hinton was good reading too..
Old 06-24-2006, 07:18 PM
Evil Puppy

Needful Things, Thinner, and The Regulators are a few I really enjoyed, of course there are more but these don't have any love yet so...
I liked King a lot and while he isn't the best writer he is a great storyteller. What I don't like is people who hate an author simply because of how popular they are and I'm not saying anybody here dislikes King because of that I just hate to see it.
King does seem to be losing his edge but you never know what he could come up with. Last I heard people think he wrote the Gary Troupe book which is supposed to be a great little mystery novel.
Tastes vary though, for instance I'd rather read any King novel than Old Man and the Sea and the latter, no matter what the King book, is probably the better written piece.

Last edited by Despare; 06-24-2006 at 07:22 PM.
Old 06-24-2006, 09:14 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via Yahoo to evil_deadman
Dont get me wrong..I LOVE Kings fiction..well.I havent read a lot of his more recent books, altho i may get Cell.The way i think of it..what would horror be without Stephen King?..Would even half as many people today be reading horror if not for him?..he kind of in a way made horror a household name..and i dont see anyone in particular as a "god of horror".i'd say one of the older masters like Lovecraft,but,i understand some people may not be able to get in to his works..or at least some of them, altho.when you do..its worth it..believe me..but...in my opinion a lot of writers should just get more recognition..and i never said Clive Barker was a god of horror..just that he is an awesome writer..OF HORROR..sadly..his latest works are fantasy and i just dont get into that at all myself..but when Clives writing horror..even King himself said."He's better than me now".which..i dont know about that..but when he's writing horror..he is hard to beat. and i would also just like to see Robert R McCammon and Bently Little get the respect and admiration they deserve too!
Old 06-26-2006, 08:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Despare
Tastes vary though, for instance I'd rather read any King novel than Old Man and the Sea and the latter, no matter what the King book, is probably the better written piece.

i'd definately be the one reading Old Man and the Sea :D
Old 06-27-2006, 05:54 PM
Evil Puppy

Quote:
Originally posted by urgeok
i'd definately be the one reading Old Man and the Sea :D
How long can you drag a metaphor out for? That book bothers me to this day. Hemingway is a master but I really didn't like that one.