Old 12-08-2018, 08:21 AM
This is a test

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
Sounds fun! What a concept! Is it a parody?
No, it wasnt a parody which was part of its charm.
Old 12-09-2018, 02:16 AM
Evil Dead

REVENGE OF THE NERDS (1984). Like many comedy films of the period, there is some tedium here, but with enough laughs to keep you interested. I agree with Danny Peary that the most enjoyment comes from hearing Robert Carradine's "Horsey laugh". Bernie Casey was cool in here and hard to believe John Goodman was so thin before ROSANNE. ***
Old 12-09-2018, 09:05 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryeDwight View Post
REVENGE OF THE NERDS (1984). Like many comedy films of the period, there is some tedium here, but with enough laughs to keep you interested. I agree with Danny Peary that the most enjoyment comes from hearing Robert Carradine's "Horsey laugh". Bernie Casey was cool in here and hard to believe John Goodman was so thin before ROSANNE. ***
Classic 80s fare here. Kind of like an Animal House of the 80s. Simple laughs, but some good quirky humor and stays on course. I havent seen it since it came out, but I remember laughing my butt off when the nerds have their party and the chic comes out with her offtune song, "So I say you got to be me. So I say you got to be free!"

Old 12-10-2018, 05:37 AM
This is a test

ELVES 1989

Possibly one of the worst movies Ive seen. Dan Haggarty was a joke in it and the story was shite.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:15 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloof View Post
ELVES 1989

Possibly one of the worst movies Ive seen. Dan Haggarty was a joke in it and the story was shite.
Love to see Dan Haggarty in a film! They made him into a joke? Or was he so bad, he was a joke? What he Santa?

Old 12-10-2018, 03:12 PM
This is a test

Quote:
Love to see Dan Haggarty in a film! They made him into a joke? Or was he so bad, he was a joke? What he Santa?
He was horrible. He was very soft-spoken which didnt suit the part at all and he constantly smoked, even in libraries, chasing people etc. He actually did shortly play a Santa.
Old 12-12-2018, 01:48 AM
Evil Dead

BLAME IT ON RIO (1984). Another film that only could have been made in the 80's. There are some really funny scenes, lovely photography and Michael Caine/Joseph Bologna play off each other very well. However, with a few decades later and having a daughter myself, the main plot line gets this/close to being offensive; maybe they figured it was the precocious scheming teenage girl setting up the situation, it would be OK. Michael Caine is likable as the befuddled geezer who is truly in over his head. Michelle Johnson, in her first film (she did others like DEATH BECOMES HER and was really good in "Split Second" from the TALES FROM THE CRYPT series) is simply a Stone Cold Goddess...all I can really think of is the line in AC/DC's "Touch Too Much"..."She had the face of an Angel, Smiling with Sin, the body of Venus with Arms" that does her justice. My wife and I met her this April at CHILLER...very funny, still looks good and quite nice. ***
Old 12-12-2018, 11:07 AM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryeDwight View Post
BLAME IT ON RIO (1984). Another film that only could have been made in the 80's. There are some really funny scenes, lovely photography and Michael Caine/Joseph Bologna play off each other very well. However, with a few decades later and having a daughter myself, the main plot line gets this/close to being offensive; maybe they figured it was the precocious scheming teenage girl setting up the situation, it would be OK. Michael Caine is likable as the befuddled geezer who is truly in over his head. Michelle Johnson, in her first film (she did others like DEATH BECOMES HER and was really good in "Split Second" from the TALES FROM THE CRYPT series) is simply a Stone Cold Goddess...all I can really think of is the line in AC/DC's "Touch Too Much"..."She had the face of an Angel, Smiling with Sin, the body of Venus with Arms" that does her justice. My wife and I met her this April at CHILLER...very funny, still looks good and quite nice. ***
Well said, despite indecent subject matter, it does imbue every character with humanity. It digs into the why and inner conflict, and although titillating and sometimes glib (and I read engages in slapstick, which I don't recall), it's a morality play, though likely an insincere one. Not surprisingly, I read this is based on a 70's French film.

"This could only have been made in the 80's", except when it was made and glorified by Hollywood and critics in the 1999 film 'American Beauty', winning Best Picture. Been a long time since I saw either, but I read both films indicate the young lady is 17. Obviously, AB is a broader story.

Old 12-14-2018, 07:28 AM
Evil Dead

horror brains

Brains have been done before. "The brain from planet Arous."
Old 12-16-2018, 01:46 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Well said, despite indecent subject matter, it does imbue every character with humanity. It digs into the why and inner conflict, and although titillating and sometimes glib (and I read engages in slapstick, which I don't recall), it's a morality play, though likely an insincere one. Not surprisingly, I read this is based on a 70's French film.

"This could only have been made in the 80's", except when it was made and glorified by Hollywood and critics in the 1999 film 'American Beauty', winning Best Picture. Been a long time since I saw either, but I read both films indicate the young lady is 17. Obviously, AB is a broader story.
Well said, Sculpt. Thought AB was kind of depressing, although it's the more "important" film, winning the Oscars. Been awhile since I've seen it and do remember Mean Survari was 17 and coquettish, but Kevin Spacey was doing more of the pursuing, in a nebbish sort of way, whereas Michael Caine is the Bunny Rabbit in Michelle's headlights.