Old 02-04-2015, 02:21 PM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by anglewitch View Post
Now a days people just want vampires. (sigh)
There are many of us though that enjoy science fiction.
Thanks for the advice Anglewitch. Am guessing my next novel Space Werewolves Vs Zombies from Mars will be an absolute winner then! (Yay ...)
Old 02-04-2015, 02:29 PM
fanged menace

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobCain1971 View Post
Thanks for the advice Anglewitch. Am guessing my next novel Space Werewolves Vs Zombies from Mars will be an absolute winner then! (Yay ...)
sounds good to me, i only read hard copy, mobile devices and monitors hurt my eyes when reading lots of text.
Old 02-04-2015, 02:32 PM
I am the turtle lord

My dad has to sit in front of a computer all day. He is a truck dispature and I am telling you one thing he is ready to quit.
Old 02-05-2015, 03:59 AM
Paul

Sample from Cold Light of Day

Chapter Ten

A dark festering reality could be found here. A collection of rundown storefronts had become the rotten façade of this place. It was a far cry from the more prosperous commercial enterprises to be found further up town, towards the main part of the city.
Which was surprising considering that sex was the main commodity on sale both here and there. Only difference being – here, there was no attempt at hiding the immorality of such a transaction.
Girls stood around in small gatherings, faces drawn and hollowed-out by years of abuse. Drugs had taken their freedom, totally, a dependency for the needle, and a lifetime of neglect, both spiritually and physically, had robbed them of life. The girls looked more like the undead than a group of twenty somethings.
Jonus had come to the right place then.
Lust for carnal pleasures had not brought him here, however. He had had his fix of that earlier. Now, he was here looking for something else entirely - the pleasures of the mortal soul.
By now he should have been bathing in the blood of his mortal nemesis – the hateful Anna. She was what had originally driven him here, to Chicago. Driven him with a demented single-mindedness that was not unfamiliar to the patrons that inhabited this dreadful place.
It was revenge that fuelled his need though, not the dirty barrel of a hypodermic needle. Anna had betrayed him, a long time ago. When they had ridden the night together, taking the souls of men at their pleasure.
She had stolen something from him. Something he was here to get back.
One of the women approached Jonus, pulling him away from his thoughts. She was tall, emaciated, and stumbled on weak limbs. One of the living dead, Jonus had no use of such a thing. He simply waved her away, before stepping towards another solitary figure.
The girl was slightly younger than the rest. And her features had not, as yet, fallen foul to the ravages of drug abuse. Maybe, thought Jonus, something other than the need to get high had brought this girl here.
Once he neared her – his mind began to tune into some of her thoughts. She was nervous, this being only her second week on the streets. Jonus probed deeper. A young man came to mind, full of false bravado and bluster, her partner, a school dropout with only a low double-digit IQ, and a quick temper to match. The crying of a baby filled Jonus’s head with a deafening wail. The next picture to flash before his eyes was the hothead leaving with a single bag packed and an undisclosed destination in mind.
Jonus looked down at the girl before him. What made her different to all the rest? Hope. That was it. She was here trying to make a better life for herself and her young child.
Jonus almost laughed out loud at the absurdity of that. What did she really hope to achieve? Would a knight in shining armour take her from these dark streets? And in doing so, save her and her bastard child from a life of misery and ruin?
Maybe.
Anything was possible.
Only thing was, this girl had now chanced upon Jonus. And he wasn’t the type for happy endings. No, he hadn’t come here looking for redemption. Quite the opposite, he was here to feed the forbidden hunger that coursed throughout his veins. Jonus reached out, using one of his bony fingers to tilt her head up slightly.
She tried to smile, bending her lips more into a crooked grimace. He was a paying customer after all. And at least nicer looking than most. Her heart beat a little faster. Maybe it wouldn’t be quite as bad this time. Not like the first time. That had been not only been physically painful but also agonising to her soul.
Jonus read all these thoughts and concerns in curious silence. Silly little bug didn’t know anything. What did she know about pain and suffering? He felt anger then. How dare this pathetic bug before him have any self-pity.
He took her hand, smiling slightly, pulling her away from the main body of prostitutes gathered there.
He would take her somewhere quieter.
And dark.
And there, he would show her what suffering was.
What real pain the human soul could endure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CLOD.jpg (27.9 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by JacobCain1971; 02-05-2015 at 04:33 AM.
Old 02-05-2015, 04:15 AM
Paul

Short passage from Something of the Night

Chapter One

A draught of foul air ran dirty fingers through the woman’s hair. She shivered. It wasn’t the icy chill that made her body tremble either. She pulled the tattered jacket tighter around her shoulders in an attempt to comfort herself. Once, the jacket had been a bright blue fleece, but now the garment was little more than a black patchwork of rags and frayed material. Just a few stitches and years of dirt held her clothing together.
She shivered again. Had she heard the jingle-jangle of iron?
Wait.
Yes.
There it was again, iron rubbing against iron. She felt her chest tighten. She climbed to her feet and then shuffled over to the rear of the cell. As she made her way to the damp bricks behind, she stepped over the pathetic forms of other women. Most were too weak to move, huddled together on the cold floor, all hope lost.
She'd tried for a long time to keep their resolve high, but eventually the cruelty they'd endured had taken its toll. Most were too young to cope - little more than teenagers really. She was closer to forty now, but still her face was handsome and her hair fell in a long fiery wave to the centre of her slim back. Even years of dirt and grime could not hide the natural sheen of her auburn hair.
The scrape of metal sounded again. In response, the hair at the nape of her neck bristled. She sucked in a lungful of stale air and readied herself. This time she'd put up a fight. That was, if they picked her out. More often than not they picked one of the younger ones. Nevertheless, every so often she was led from the cramped cell and taken to one of the other rooms. There, she'd be forced to … mate.
That's what her captors called it. Raped was closer to the truth. Yes, some of the male prisoners clung to a thread of humanity, but most had descended into madness a long time ago. The ones that had any measure of goodness remaining usually did the deed as quickly as they could, whispering a string of apologies as they lay on top. Others actually enjoyed the pain and suffering, and some even revelled in the act.
Once, at the beginning, a prisoner had refused to obey. He'd been a handsome young man, full of bluster and pride. It had been only her second time and at first she'd felt relief - spared. Then, her captives had realised the man offered no bounty. So without pause they cut his throat and bathed in the river of blood.
Now, if any refused, she would gently lead them to the soiled mattress, offering reassurance and explaining that no harm would be done. In truth, she welcomed the closeness of a fellow human being, one that was still good and decent, and had even grown to like one or two. She didn't see this as wrongful, for although she still considered herself married, and in love, she saw her act as one of salvation. Man was precious, and he needed to be protected.
One day soon the real battle would begin.
Her hands tightened into fists. Her captors had gotten desperate. Their food stock was low. They had started to mate with human women in an attempt to breed, thus creating food. But so far all they'd succeeded in doing was multiplying their own ranks. Soon they would be eating each other. This thought twisted her face into a bitter leer. The sooner the better, as far as she was concerned. It was one thing enduring an act of brutality with one of her own kind, but damned if she was going to let one of those bastards touch her like that!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SOTN.jpg (16.4 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by JacobCain1971; 02-05-2015 at 04:32 AM.
Old 02-05-2015, 04:23 AM
Paul

Sample from For Everything a Reason (thriller)

Chapter Three

Ice-cold wind bit into exposed flesh with the same conviction as cruel fangs. This, the coldest day of the month, had sprouted vicious teeth and nails, which would have given any beast from the Jurassic Age a run for its money. Winter held on with unsympathetic malevolence. The branches of the trees that lined the streets and avenues were burdened with frost – stark white limbs reaching desperately towards the washed-out February sun. In some places, patches of grey snow lingered on colourless swathes of frozen land, out of reach of the sun and children alike.
The remnants of snowmen lurked along sidewalks; obese sentinels watching the hub of New York City go about its business. Like a superhuman heart, Manhattan Island pumped people into its core – millions of corpuscles, each charged with enthusiasm – held them there momentarily, and then sent them home, worn-out and defused. Wrapped in long scarves, thick overcoats and insulated boots, the city’s inhabitants rushed home in the early-evening twilight, eager to take refuge from the biting wind.
In stark contrast to the freezing horrors of outside, indoors was a warm haven, which offered sanctuary to both saints and sinners, irrespective of whether their hearts were filled with innocence or murderous intent.
The aroma of the bowl of stew beneath Thomas Carter’s nose barely registered. Small, unidentifiable pieces of god-knows-what floated on the surface and seemed to avoid Carter’s spoon, no matter how hard he tried to scoop them up. A crusty bread roll lay untouched beside the bowl. Carter eyed it with uncertainty. The roll looked stale enough to have come from some recently unearthed Egyptian tomb. Dark crumbs dotted the bread intermittently, reminding him of sand. He'd read somewhere that ancient Egyptians had mixed fine sand with dough in an attempt to make supplies of flour go further, before offering it to unsuspecting slaves.
“Are you gonna eat that?” someone at his side asked.
A dreadful stench wafted towards Carter. He turned to his right and found a wrinkled old face looking at him expectantly. The old man’s head bobbed towards the crust, his hooked nose almost close enough to peck at it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FEAR.jpg (24.2 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by JacobCain1971; 02-05-2015 at 04:30 AM.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:03 AM
fanged menace

reading these snippets i can honestly say this is exactly the kind of thing i would buy, fantastic work.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:53 AM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampyd1977 View Post
reading these snippets i can honestly say this is exactly the kind of thing i would buy, fantastic work.
Thanks a lot vampyd - I really appreciate that! Nice one.

Paul :-)

ps I've been asking everyone what their favorite horror novel is..?
Old 02-05-2015, 07:55 AM
I am the turtle lord

My type of themes are Sci fi, Mystery, Fantasy, Magic, and history.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:05 AM
I am the turtle lord

Man vampy, you take a while replying to threads.

Tags
feedback, helpme, horror author