Old 02-05-2009, 08:21 PM
For Vendetta

72 Hours have passed, and we have only 1 entry in - from bwind.

None from Roshiq, The Flayed One or ChronoGrl. I am assuming the first two havent been online in two days, and Chrono already asked for more time.

I leave it open for a further 24 hours. After that, the Judges shall have the final word.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:40 PM
Mighty HDC Drunken Pirate

I'm going to film Clive Barker's The Great and Secret Show starring Leonardo DiCaprio as Randolph Jaffe.

Basic Plot: (From Wikipedia)
In 1969 Randolph Jaffe discovers a mysterious part of society known as "The Art" while working in the dead letter office in Nebraska. His search brings him to New Mexico where he encounters the mysterious Kissoon, claiming to be the last of the "Shoal". From Kissoon he learns of the mystical dream sea Quiddity and the islands within it known as the Ephemeris. Jaffe flees when Kissoon tries to bargain for his body. Jaffe teams up with a scientist named Fletcher who is able to create a liquid called the 'Nuncio' which enables a human to evolve to a state that would enable him to reach Quiddity. Fletcher has second thoughts however, thinking that Jaffe will use the Nuncio for evil and destroys his laboratory. Jaffe arrives and both are exposed to the Nuncio. The two battle each other for a year and their spirits arrive in Palomo Grove in California in 1971. There, they rape and impregnate four teenage girls. One of the girls is infertile and fails to give birth while another kills herself and her child after giving birth. The third, Trudi Katz, moves away with her baby Howard while the fourth, Joyce McGuire gives birth to twins, Jo-Beth and Tommy Ray.
Eighteen years pass. Howard returns to Palomo grove after the death of his mother. While Jaffe and Fletcher produced offspring in order to continue their battle, Howard and Jo-Beth instead fall in love after meeting. When a former TV comedian, Buddy Vance passes away at the cave where the lake once was, Fletcher and Jaffe are able to escape. Jaffe is able to amass an army of creatures known as Terata using the minds of vulnerable people and gets his son Tommy Ray on his side as well. Howard encounters Fletcher, who explains his heritage to him. Fletcher explains Quiddity to Howard, telling him that the islands Ephemeris contain the Great and Secret Show. Howard refuses to align with his father however. Meanwhile a reporter, Grillo and his assistant Tesla arrive to Palomo Grove to report on Vance's death. Fletcher is unable to amass his own army of hallucigenia from the mind of dreamers and instead kills himself through immolation, spreading his essence to the people of the town.

DiCaprio has shined his best with his slightly less mainstream, more eccentric roles such as What's Eating Gilbert Grape and The Basketball Diaries. He's also very good in his misunderstood character roles, such as Blood Diamond and The Aviator.

Randolph Jaffe is a character I think Leo will adapt to well. We have a lonely, spindly man in search of the meaning behind the meaning of something in the middle of a dead letter room in Midwestern United States. A man who grows from introverted recluse into a God being to a lost child like creature with a power he cannot stop. I think Leo is a decent actor, well versed enough and liked by the general public and the academy to draw enough from both sides to keep an interest.

Going with a Barker story is a risk. He's a bizarre, niche horror writer whos out of the ordinary plot lines have been an inspiration to me. I think The Great and Secret Show can go over especially well at this time as a play on the state of America. I would intend on making subtle comparisons to the American state (achieving God like powers only to lose control of it and watch it overwhelm) that I feel a lot of the public view us today. I don't wish for political overtones to undermine the story, so the writing subtlety will have to be at it's best. Think of a toned down version of Pleasantville by Gary Ross.

Although Leo has become a big star, I don't think he's lost his passion for niche roles. Clive loves his onscreen, unapologized violence, and Leo doesn't seem to stray from it. With the supporting cast falling in line, I feel like we could produce a powerful horror movie that could win critical acclaim.

Cast: (main players)
Randolph Jaffe - Leonardo DiCaprio
Fletcher - Liam Neeson
Kissoon - David Carradine
Old 02-05-2009, 10:16 PM
No charge for awesomeness

Ick, I got stuck at work late today.

Thanks V for the chance to clarify my entry.

The explanation for the loophole neverending noticed is that Mr. Stat transfers from office to office about once a year mainly to conceal the fact that he never ages, but secondly to hide the fact that each office has several hundreds of gallons of blood stolen from it in his presence. In some cases, it's not caught, in other cases he's never suspected because he's the boss and the mystery just went unsolved.

That's all. Basically, he does this everywhere he goes but this was the first time he's actually been caught doing it.

Sorry for omitting that detail from my original entry but like I mentioned I was rushing to get it written last night, knowing I wouldn't have a chance to do so today.

Thanks again for the chance to clarify.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:57 AM
Mephistophiliac

Send a message via AIM to Doc Faustus
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flayed One View Post
I'm going to film Clive Barker's The Great and Secret Show starring Leonardo DiCaprio as Randolph Jaffe.

Basic Plot: (From Wikipedia)
In 1969 Randolph Jaffe discovers a mysterious part of society known as "The Art" while working in the dead letter office in Nebraska. His search brings him to New Mexico where he encounters the mysterious Kissoon, claiming to be the last of the "Shoal". From Kissoon he learns of the mystical dream sea Quiddity and the islands within it known as the Ephemeris. Jaffe flees when Kissoon tries to bargain for his body. Jaffe teams up with a scientist named Fletcher who is able to create a liquid called the 'Nuncio' which enables a human to evolve to a state that would enable him to reach Quiddity. Fletcher has second thoughts however, thinking that Jaffe will use the Nuncio for evil and destroys his laboratory. Jaffe arrives and both are exposed to the Nuncio. The two battle each other for a year and their spirits arrive in Palomo Grove in California in 1971. There, they rape and impregnate four teenage girls. One of the girls is infertile and fails to give birth while another kills herself and her child after giving birth. The third, Trudi Katz, moves away with her baby Howard while the fourth, Joyce McGuire gives birth to twins, Jo-Beth and Tommy Ray.
Eighteen years pass. Howard returns to Palomo grove after the death of his mother. While Jaffe and Fletcher produced offspring in order to continue their battle, Howard and Jo-Beth instead fall in love after meeting. When a former TV comedian, Buddy Vance passes away at the cave where the lake once was, Fletcher and Jaffe are able to escape. Jaffe is able to amass an army of creatures known as Terata using the minds of vulnerable people and gets his son Tommy Ray on his side as well. Howard encounters Fletcher, who explains his heritage to him. Fletcher explains Quiddity to Howard, telling him that the islands Ephemeris contain the Great and Secret Show. Howard refuses to align with his father however. Meanwhile a reporter, Grillo and his assistant Tesla arrive to Palomo Grove to report on Vance's death. Fletcher is unable to amass his own army of hallucigenia from the mind of dreamers and instead kills himself through immolation, spreading his essence to the people of the town.

DiCaprio has shined his best with his slightly less mainstream, more eccentric roles such as What's Eating Gilbert Grape and The Basketball Diaries. He's also very good in his misunderstood character roles, such as Blood Diamond and The Aviator.

Randolph Jaffe is a character I think Leo will adapt to well. We have a lonely, spindly man in search of the meaning behind the meaning of something in the middle of a dead letter room in Midwestern United States. A man who grows from introverted recluse into a God being to a lost child like creature with a power he cannot stop. I think Leo is a decent actor, well versed enough and liked by the general public and the academy to draw enough from both sides to keep an interest.

Going with a Barker story is a risk. He's a bizarre, niche horror writer whos out of the ordinary plot lines have been an inspiration to me. I think The Great and Secret Show can go over especially well at this time as a play on the state of America. I would intend on making subtle comparisons to the American state (achieving God like powers only to lose control of it and watch it overwhelm) that I feel a lot of the public view us today. I don't wish for political overtones to undermine the story, so the writing subtlety will have to be at it's best. Think of a toned down version of Pleasantville by Gary Ross.

Although Leo has become a big star, I don't think he's lost his passion for niche roles. Clive loves his onscreen, unapologized violence, and Leo doesn't seem to stray from it. With the supporting cast falling in line, I feel like we could produce a powerful horror movie that could win critical acclaim.

Cast: (main players)
Randolph Jaffe - Leonardo DiCaprio
Fletcher - Liam Neeson
Kissoon - David Carradine
Nice concept! One I've been waiting to see. Other than Damnation Game, this is my favorite Barker book. But I would say Tessa's kind of a major character not to cast. And it would be awesomer if Scott Bakula once again took the role of Harry D'Amour. Jaffe also seems more like a Giovanni Ribisi kind of guy.
Old 02-07-2009, 07:08 AM
HDC Idol

Ugh... Here we go...

I am Peter Greenaway and looking to cast Brad Pitt in my latest film, Prometheus Bound. My reason for choosing Pitt: He is the perfect physical specimen to portray the muscled Rubeneque Prometheus, a lower member of the upper class in the city of Sicyon.

Reviewing his resume, I think that he would be a good fit for my films:
In Interview with a Vampire, Pitt launched himself into the tome of horror film by portraying the sympathetic and struggling vampire, Louis, who is questioning his purpose in life (or, eternal life/death). He showed that he can be a true sympathetic character but with also an inner strength and anger to him.

In Se7en, he played Detective David Mills, a competent but short-tempered cop who eventually finds himself in over his head, at the mercy of the films antagonist. That Pitt chose to perform in this film also shows his interest in Biblical-themed horror, Se7en revolves around the Seven Deadly Sins.

In Twelve Monkeys, Pitt played Jeffrey Goines, the insane son of an exceedingly wealthy scientist. In this film he proved that he can move from high-budget Hollywood pretty boy to more experimental cinema, teaming up with the enigmatic Terry Gilliam to create an alternate reality that flirts with temporal distortion. He also showed that he can play the eccentric: The frenetically insane, and still be believable. Also, themes of decadence, greed, gluttony vs. nature ring true to me in this film.

In Sleepers, Pitt showed that he is not afraid of controversial, harsh, and gritty subject matter: child abuse. He put in a strong and believable performance.
In Meet Joe Black, Pitt played the stoic and literal personification of Death, showing that he can hold his own in the midst of existential themes. Since Death is a main theme in my movies, his role in this film particularly sparked my attention.

In Fight Club, Pitt showed a new level of strength in his eccentricity as well the ability to embrace ultra-violence and sexual perversion as a main cinematic theme. He was intriguing yet horrifying at the same time.

In Snatch, Pitt played Mickey, an Irish Boxer who is tough, frenetic, and unpredictable. He played it with fervor and a manic energy that, once again, showed his range.

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 02-07-2009, 07:12 AM
HDC Idol

The inspiration for my latest film comes from Rubens’ painting Prometheus Bound.

The depiction of Prometheus in this work shows the classic larger-than-life Rubenesque hero at the mercy of the eagle sent by Zeus to eat his liver out. While Rubens plays with perspective in this painting, it is worth pointing out the contrast between our swollen and struggling hero and the thin and loose chains that seem to bind him there (also placed in the lower right-hand corner of the painting, clearing showing their lack of prominence in the scene). The contrast between the struggle and the fetters is absurd and surely notes that this piece is more about sadistic torture than divine punishment. It also implicates Prometheus as a centerpiece to this torture: Is he truly bound? Or is it his choice to endure this fate? Surely, the stealing of the Fire was what brought him to this place, but he does not seem to want to escape.

My film, Prometheus Bound, will consider this interpretation of the painting and consider the themes: Temptation, Gluttony, Greed, Sadism, and Death.

Prometheus (Pitt) falls becomes obsessed with Persephone, the wife of Aidoneus, the Duke of Sicyon and the hapless township that he finds himself in.

Sicyon is a place outside of time: We will take art and fashion from the modern goth culture and couple it with nods to the Flemish styles of the late 1500s and early 1600s, maintaining a similar feel as The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover.

The narrative structure will be like a series of artistic tableaux:
Prometheus lives in an apartment overlooking a decadent restaurant. One night, while on his way home, he sees Persephone for the first time through the window. He stares at her through the glass, her dainty beauty contrasted by the swollen gluttony of her husband. When they exit the restaurant, Prometheus witnesses Aidoneus throw Persephone onto the ground and kick her face. He watches as he beats her, but does not intervene.

When he turns away, he finds a prostitute and brings her up to his room where he slaps her and asks her to bind him. She binds him fast to the bed, torturing him with a bullwhip. Meanwhile he fantasizes about Persephone with bruises and blood on her face.

The next morning, Persephone is at his door, weeping. He pulls her inside and she implores him to take her away from Aidoneus. She dominates Prometheus, pinning him to the bed while simultaneously imploring him.
Thus begins their flee from Sicyon. But their departure is not easy. As they turn to flee further and further away, their journey becomes an allegory for the seven rings of Hell:

Their first stop is the fields surrounding Sicyon. Here they find students and prophets wandering like madmen. They meet Dante, who warns them to turn back.

The second stop is a brothel, where they intend to stay the night. Here we see various sexual acts of perversion that Prometheus and Persephone give in to.

In the morning, they continue on their path and find an open market. All foods, goods, jewels imaginable line the tables while all of the vendors are wearing animal masks (inspired by Hieronymus Bosch’ creatures). While the food is plentiful, most of it appears rotten and spoiled, yet the patrons of the market continue to shove it into the mouth holes of their masks, leaving oozing rotting meat and juices slipping down their faux visages.

Prometheus and Persephone each buy masks and stay at an inn, surrounding themselves with the food and goods. They dress opulently and make love with their masks on, their bodies covered with rotting fruit and meat.
The following night, Aidoneus catches up with them. He drags the naked Prometheus to the river and binds him to a stone while his men mercilessly torture him by force-feeding him Persephone’s jewelry and slashing his abdomen and removing his liver.

When Aidoneus returns to the inn for Persephone, he finds all of its inhabitants (all women) wearing the same mask that she had worn the day before. He demands that they take off their masks, but they all refuse and eventually descend upon him, beating him mercilessly. Persephone then emerges, no mask and kicks his face repeatedly. Camera pans up to her face as she screams. And fades out.

Casting
Prometheus: Brad Pitt
Persephone: Helena Bonham Carter
Aidoneus: Sid Haig

Why Brad Pitt will be on board with this movie:
It’s clear with the aforementioned movies that Pitt is attracted to pseudo-intellectual and often grotesque films. He clearly likes to challenge himself as an actor and participate in films that challenge his audience. He is not afraid of ultra-violence or controversial imagery. He also seems to enjoy working with artistic and experimental directors (Gilliam, Fincher, Ritchie), and I, Peter Greenaway, would fit into that mix, but push him that much more.

Old 02-07-2009, 07:22 AM
HDC Idol

The Character of Prometheus

Prometheus is handsome and, as aforementioned Rubensesque in stature. He is also very stoic and cold, much like Brad's portrayal of Death in Meet Joe Black. He is a clear sadomasochist, taking odd joy out of watching the pain of others and severe joy in pain inflicted on himself. Pitt's role in Fight Club will match him well to this demand.

Prometheus is also a character who seems to be in a situation beyond his control. While strong, he is helpless and dragged along by the bizarre happenstance of the film. He endures each challenge with quiet stoicism and is always attentive (to the point of obsession) with Persephone.

Pitt fits well because he loves the enigmatic - The tough boy, the pretty boy, the twisted boy. Prometheus is all of these rolled into one: The statuesque Greek God as well as the hidden sadomasochist. Pitt is a fierce sex symbol that will truly bring fire to this film.

Old 02-07-2009, 07:48 AM
Mephistophiliac

Send a message via AIM to Doc Faustus
Very artistic. Way outside of the box and appealing to Brad Pitt, too. My question: why not Ken Russell?
Old 02-07-2009, 09:33 AM
For Vendetta

I ll now ask all Judges to send me their Grades, and take a decision about Roshiq who has been MIA for this Challenge.
Old 02-07-2009, 12:49 PM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Faustus View Post
Very artistic. Way outside of the box and appealing to Brad Pitt, too. My question: why not Ken Russell?
Thanks!

A couple of reasons: I was really intrigued with Greenaway for a while. I find it fascinating that he targets Rennaissance and Flemish painters as his muses and that he is able to create these harsh, tragic, yet beautiful images that truly stick with you (in college I was obsessed with Flemish artists, so it was fantastic to find kin in Greenaway). He is truly one of my favorite directors and it was a delight to pitch from his point of view.

Also - The only Russell film that I've ever seen is Tommy which, at the time quickly became my least favorite movie of all time (I was in high school when I saw it and obsessed with the album and the play (which I had seen on Broadway); I found the movie to be far-reaching psychedelic tripe that was too over-the-top and just ridiculous).