Old 10-21-2009, 07:12 AM
Bad Natured

Dead Girl Walking (2004). Koji Shiraishi is not intimidated in his exploration in demented art forms, and Walking Dead Girl is a prime example of his wickedly weird and artistic capacity. i bet that most folks would not like this short little flick (44 min), but anyone into weird and demented films might give this a go. Most of Koji's stuff seems to be very symbolic, and this one is no exception as exemplified by the ending. Dark and horrifyingly grim and even cruel, there is just enough comic relief to carry the viewer to the poetic ending. Ashe.
derek

Fate is my mistress, mother of the cruel abomination that is hope.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:48 PM
Pirate of Bengal

Violent Cop (1989)

One of the early films of writer, director & actor Takeshi Kitano. A dark, slow burn Police action thriller about detective Azuma (played by Kitano) who seek vengeance due not only to his lust for revenge but because he's bit psychotic. There's a sense that Azuma won't rest until he gets his man not out of duty but out of madness...mainly cause of when he finds his perfect match for duel in the underground world of crimes.
Kitano gives a riveting performance in this film; and the film itself is beautifully shot with a good score. But the best part of this is perhaps the end - the film ends on a perfectly cynical note that couldn't be topped. This might not be everyone's cup of tea, but certainly a great, hard-boiled crime movie with bleak seriousness. This movie has another title called WARNING - THIS MAN IS WILD, and in this case, it's not a joke at all.

>>: A-
Old 10-22-2009, 11:26 AM
Bad Natured

Samurai Fiction (1998). Akira Kurasawa meets MTV meets Kung Fu Hustle. Not really, but there is some truth in this analogy. Music video director Hiroyuki Nakano apparently watched Yojimbo over and over while making this wonderful flick. His music video side definitely shows, but in a great way that somehow blends a rock n roll soundtrack with a samurai movie. Mostly shot in black and white, the use of color is used for emphasis only. Moderate use of humor and playful goofiness keeps the tone light for what could be just a rather heavy-hearted affair. The characters are wonderfully portrayed, and the villain (a real life rocker) is hard not to like. Don't expect a traditional samurai flick here, but instead keep an open mind for a movie most all fans of Japanese cinema should appreciate. Ashe.
derek

Old 10-23-2009, 03:23 AM
Foxhole Atheist

Old Boy....

Battle Royalty, 2009
@Wolf_Scousemac
Old 10-25-2009, 05:16 AM
Super Moderator

the city of violence
Old 10-25-2009, 01:22 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via MSN to missmacabre
The Host and then a documentary on monster movies and their political/environmental cauntionary tales.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:24 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Junk (2000)

There are few Asian Zombie films that I have seen so far. This one is decently funny. Thanks to Chrono for the DVD (via HDC Package 2.0):)

>>: B-
Old 10-27-2009, 05:36 AM
Bad Natured

Apartment 1303 (2007). A low budget J-horror flick that has a very poltergeist feel to it. It had some decent moments, but others were pretty cheesy. For a mediocre ghost story from Japan it was at least entertanining, at least for me. i'd have a hard time recommending it to others though. Ashe.
d

Old 10-27-2009, 10:55 PM
Scares Little Kids

Do you like Japanese scary movies?
Old 10-28-2009, 01:25 PM
No, fuck YOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkgoddess95 View Post
Do you like Japanese scary movies?

Is that one out already?

Was it good?