Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Foreign Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-28-2011, 12:17 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Hayno aka The Housemaid (1960)

This is a great psycho-sexual tensed drama cum thriller with a touch of typical Asian regular soap opera or domestic melodrama which superbly directed by Kim Ki-Young as his first film in Housemaid trilogy. It still consider as one of the most popular & significant films for Korean cinema. It has been described in Koreanfilm.org as a "consensus pick as one of the top three Korean films of all time." Martin Scorsese and some other American sponsors even funded a complete restoration of the old print. And last year it was remade with same title in Korea also. Overall, a bit shocking flick indeed considering as a 60's Korean film.

>>: A-
Old 04-28-2011, 06:36 AM
From The Beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookZombie View Post
The cover seams interesting though I have never heard about this movie before, what is it about?
I don't think you would like it-its a serial killer flick
Old 04-29-2011, 03:17 AM
Super Moderator

the man from nowhere.
Old 05-01-2011, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator

71 - into the fire
Old 05-04-2011, 12:09 PM
Pirate of Bengal

Jigoku aka Hell (1960)

Nobuo Nakagawa's Jigoku is a purely an unwanted but inevitable experience that the central character Shiro endured even in life. It's a lyrical and poetic work of film making that explains hell is something we carry with us throughout life, complete with inescapable personal demons that haunt us every step of the way. Director Nakagawa explores a man's guilt, fate, regret, and even redemption on the road to hell.
The film's most effective and infamous sequence involves the visceral punishment waiting for various sinners. Bodies are dissected, flayed, made to wander in a 'vortex of sin,' and cast into a lake of fire, the needle lake & among other things. And through these torments of Hell, Jigoku reveals just how ahead of its time it was, as the violence is stark and disturbing which made it still even by today's standards very much graphic indeed. Surely it must be one of the earliest gore and shock films in world cinema, as it's like all the remorseless sequences cuts right to the heart of why we're told that we should be afraid of hell in the first place. Nakahawa emphasized horrors on psychological turmoil where ultimately the body will endure endless suffering for sin. I’m not sure how many films out there that portrayed 'Hell' so abstract way & effectively like Jigoku, where going to hell may never been so satisfying!

As I downloaded & watched the Criterion DVD release so got the chance to checked out the documentary on director Nobuo Nakagawa and the making of the film (Building the Inferno), where they mention some of Nakagawa's early horror or kaidan (ghost) films, like The Ghost of Kasane (Kaidan Kasanegafuchi, 1957), Black Cat Mansion (Borei Kaibyo Yashiki, 1958) and The Ghost Story of Yotsuya / Tokaido Yotsuya Kaidan, 1959)...and by some clips & screen shots they all looked pretty creepy & fascinating also. I’ll definitely love to see these movies in future but not sure whether the dvds of the films are available or not.

>>: A
Old 05-06-2011, 01:02 PM
From The Beyond

I adore Jigoku but alas that is the only film by that director I have seen. I too would love to see his other films having seen screenshots on the dvd.
Old 05-08-2011, 04:52 AM
Poison of the Flesh

Send a message via Yahoo to Empress_Of_Drac
Child's Eye starred by Yang Cheng Lin. Still watching it at the moment. Will post my review after I finished this.

Child's Eye is produced by the famous Pang Brothers.

Fosamax Recall | Fosamax Recall| Fosamax Side Effects
Old 05-20-2011, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

little big soldier
sparrow
woochi
Old 05-21-2011, 10:06 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Kuroneko aka The Black Cat (1968)

Not as great as Onibaba but surely it's an eerie-atmospheric J-Horror classic with a Samurai-revenge-ghost story.

>>: A-
Old 05-24-2011, 01:06 PM
Scares Little Kids

The grudge

This is the movie I saw, is a remake of the asian movie "THE GRUDGE" with SARAH MICHELLE GELLAR.