Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Music
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-25-2008, 01:37 AM
Undead

In Utero knocked my socks off (I was going to say 'blew me away' :S) around this time in 1993 so I'll say Nirvana number 1. Not much grunge stands up well today but some that does, in no particular order: Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, Soul Asylum, Temple of the Dog. Although there's always been something very special about Alice In Chain their nihilism depresses me, especially when I think about how Layne Stanley died. They've bounced back from that event nicely, though.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:26 PM
Misanthrope

There's no Alice In Chains without Layne Staley. They should've had the respect to call the band something else instead of cashing in on past glories after failed solo careers.

Pearl Jam and Bush were/are fucking terrible... they were a couple of the bands that killed the buzz and ruined the party turning music back into the bland homogenized rock "alternative" music was against. Was it Kurt that said "If Eddie Vedder's the spokesperson for my generation.... I quit"? Dude was right on.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:49 PM
Undead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis_Christ View Post
There's no Alice In Chains without Layne Staley. They should've had the respect to call the band something else instead of cashing in on past glories after failed solo careers.

Pearl Jam and Bush were/are fucking terrible... they were a couple of the bands that killed the buzz and ruined the party turning music back into the bland homogenized rock "alternative" music was against. Was it Kurt that said "If Eddie Vedder's the spokesperson for my generation.... I quit"? Dude was right on.
I disagree with you about Pearl Jam being terrible. In the beginning Pearl Jam had very little to do with Nirvana and both bands should've kept it that way. All they did with their bickering was to give the media more ammo.

There were a lot of boring imitations of 'the big four' and Bush were one.

Thinking about it now, I agree that after Layne Staley's death, Alice In Chains should've chosen another name.

Searching for an Ingrid Pitt look-alike ANYWHERE :P.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:53 AM
Misfit

Send a message via AIM to Posher778 Send a message via MSN to Posher778 Send a message via Yahoo to Posher778
Quote:
Originally Posted by scissorhands View Post
I disagree with you about Pearl Jam being terrible. In the beginning Pearl Jam had very little to do with Nirvana and both bands should've kept it that way. All they did with their bickering was to give the media more ammo.

There were a lot of boring imitations of 'the big four' and Bush were one.

Thinking about it now, I agree that after Layne Staley's death, Alice In Chains should've chosen another name.
Alice In Chains even said they would respect Layne and not go on without him. So much for that.

Elvis is right... Pearl Jam murdered grunge with crappy modernized music. The band contributed to todays shitty alternative "rock" music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X¤MurderDoll¤X View Post
oh posher, I love you.

well as much as a girl can love a squirrely little girly man I suppose.

None of this is real
Old 01-21-2009, 05:38 PM
Hellraiser

Not that into grunge but some good bands are:

The Jesus Lizzards (love the split with Nirvana)
Nirvana
The Vipers
Soundgarden (the early stuff)
Green River
Pearl Jam
The Melvins
Mudhoney
Alice in Chains

Now I know The Melvins aren't proper grunge maybe. But the genre "grunge" is kinda hard to define.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:33 PM
Misanthrope

Yeh the Melvins are a bit of everything aren't they haha :)

Good to see another Green River/Mudhoney fan great fuckin' bands.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:23 AM
Hellraiser

Yeah I guess they are hehe. Good though. I actually like 'em more when they play their southern doom rock thing.

Both Green River and Mudhoney are really good. Reminds me of when I was younger. I was really into grunge about 10 years ago. I remember getting the Here comes the sickness live album when it came out 9 years ago and I fucking loved it so I just bought everything with Green River/Mudhoney I could get my hands on.