Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Upcoming Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-19-2005, 02:59 PM
Spirit

Freddy Kruger Interview.. His ideas on the Next...

The article is somewhat old, But I just found it today so maybe you guys havn't seen it either, Plus the Freddy Kruger series is my favorite horror series ever so getting a discussion about that is good in it self..

According to an interview with Robert Englund, the man himself wanted to swing by a couple ideas to the execs which would possibly bring a couple other horror icons in the mix. Of course the project isn't happening anymore, but it's an interesting read as to what he had in mind.

Link - http://www.phillyburbs.com/freddy/freddy.shtml

or You can just read the article here...

By Bob Bankard
PhillyBurbs Special Sections

Freddy KRUEGER. It’s impossible to deny that when it all comes down to the bottom line, Robert Englund will always be, first and foremost, Freddy KRUEGER. There will come a time that Englund will die, as all men do; KRUEGER, however, will live on, a celluloid ghost that will be as recognizable in 2105 as he is today.

Max Shrek is Count Orlock; Lon Chaney Sr. is The Phantom of the Opera; Bela Lugosi is Dracula. The finer delineation between these men and their creations are left to film historians, retrospective cinema documentarians and connoisseurs of the genre. It would have been impossible – not to mention journalistically irresponsible – not to turn the conversation towards Wes Craven’s child murderer and Englund’s unlikely vehicle to immortality.

Of course, the next question has to be about Freddy KRUEGER. I understand that just a few weeks ago you went in to speak to New Line about future possible “Nightmare” films. Did anything come of that?

Actually, Jeff Katz is doing this huge new project right now, and he was sort of the person I was going to talk to there. But he’s doing this big thing over at New Line. I need five minutes with those guys, because I have two ideas, now that I know we’re not doing “Freddy versus Jason versus Ash” now, because they’re re-making “Evil Dead.” So that looks to me to be out of the loop now.

But if they are considering another Freddy versus Jason, I do have a couple of ideas. One is an old one, but I want to re-pitch it. It does require a major star to come out of retirement – well not retirement, but to OK it and come onboard, because it won’t work without her.

I know the one you’re talking about. Jamie Lee Curtis.

Yeah – she’s doing family films now, and she may not want to do it. But the way it’s conceived it would be a hell of an acting chore for her, because she get to do sort of a rehab/recovery performance, and it would be really fun.

And in the end, she could pull a Sigourney Weaver and really kick some butt.

Yeah – exactly! You could imagine, just see that whole arc of the character, from being damaged and addled and weak, then getting your strength back, you know, it’s that great old thing, the gunfighter who loses their courage. But you have this character that has the knowledge of evil then, and when they’re brought back into the fray… and my idea is to couple her with a strong stepdaughter or daughter, so you have female heroines, which is that great “Niightmare on Elm Street” thematic thing, except this time you have double the fun. This time you have two of ‘em going against two or three monsters; it makes it a little more even than just having Heather Langenkamp up against a squad of monsters.

(Laughter) So, what would be your second one? Or can’t you tell?

Well, my second one, and he’s another actor I love, and I’m just such a big fan of this guy, but we’d have to sit down and talk. I would love to see Tony Todd involved. I think that might be a real idea.

Candyman. That would be pretty great.

Yeah – we’d really be able to open the door to surrealism, then. Whereas, if you use someone like Micheal Meyers, he’s not that different. He has a different goal, but he’s not that different from Jason. But if you get someone like Candyman, now you really open the world to some surrealism in horror, and really go somewhere strange.

Tony Todd has that deep, evil malevolence and you have that violent, sarcastic sadism…

But it’s also that he operates on several planes, too, as opposed to Jason, who operates in reality and Freddy, who operates in dreams. So it would be interesting to play wth the Candyman, and the different planes he can operate on. Obviously, I would probably need Jason, because I already know how to work him like my puppet. But it would be interesting to see how they deal with each other. It would almost be, as opposed to strength against each other, it would be about who could out-fantasy each other one, psyche the other one out. They’d have to go after each other’s psychological flaws. That would have to be explored, which would be interesting. He could mentally torment Freddy. What’s left in Freddy – is there anything left in Freddy that can torment him, besides fire? We know now that he’s afraid of fire, but that’s about it.

We’re just about to get into that aspect; I’d love to see what happens when Freddy sweats. When he was alive, he preyed on the weak – children. In death, he still preys on the weak - people asleep, in dreams. No one has ever been in enough control to take Dream Freddy out. When the parents of Springwood did, KRUEGER was easy meat, a complete victim. So if we had Freddy in dreamland, once and for all, down and about to be dispatched, what would come out? Would it still be hate and jokes?

That question is how much guilt, shame psychological makeup left in Freddy the demon who was at one time had been Freddy the mortal. Is there any of that left? Is there any of that left to exploit or mine? Because if there isn’t, and Freddy is just a shark – simply a revenge machine – it would be interesting. I mean, do you punish Freddy, like in part five – the Steven Hopkins one – do you punish Freddy with his history? Can you punish him with his history? Is there guilt, or does Freddy seek pain? I’ve often thought that if Freddy is killed, it should be like that Tennesse Williams play “Suddenly, Last Summer,” where all these guys just tear apart this guy on the beach. Then they eat him, or something. But I just think children have to kill Freddy; I think 100 children, crawling all over him like maggots, ripping him apart.

What do you think? I know you’re not the writer, and you have great respect for writers, but you are, for intents and purposes, Freddy KRUEGER. What do you think lies beneath?

I play Freddy as, well, the work was done a long time ago, and now it’s little moment to moment stuff; if I’m working with an actor on the set, a kid on the set, and they’re wearing something sexy, or they’re wearing something trendy, or they have a piece of teen venacular…

I think, you can never communicate any more than three or four things to an audience at a time; it’s really difficult. You can do all this psychological work you want , and I learned this back in the theater, but at any given time, it’s only two or three things that are being communicated. The body language, with dialogue, with psychological at any given time. And you have to have all the layers in there, but the audience isn’t picking up on all of them, all the time. I’ve noticed in American plays that sometimes some actors do so much detail work that they forget the obvious; you’ll see someone on stage standing next to someone they don’t like – in real life, we’re on the other side of the room.

So I try to keep those very basic things I know up in the forefront of my acting, so that any given time, Freddy takes you… he, I mean, he can’t… I mean, obviously, Freddy had to have had a horrible, painful adolescence. So traumatic to him that he looks on it now with nothing but loathing and he wants to eliminate it. He wants to eliminate the future, because his future was eliminated. Not only by the parents that burned him alive, but by whatever traumatic experiences happened to him, either as a result of Alice Cooper or anybody else in any of the various movies. But I’m not actually thinking of Alice Cooper beating me when I’m doing that – I know. And, see, what I’ll do is pick on something very concrete. As an ad-lib or something, for example, if I have to grab someone, and they’re wearing a trendy belt, I might grab them by their belt; if they’re eating sushi, and I hate that element of their thing, I’d take the chopsticks and jam it up their nose. You know? It’s that sort of thing that Freddy – he hates all of that, so much, because he can never be part of it, or enjoy it, or relax to enjoy it.

So that’s really the thing. And Freddy is bound a little. I mean, if you get in his way, you’ll get hurt, but Freddy’s definitely on a revenge motif. He’s after people that were connected to a part of the town that burnt him. Two wrongs don’t make a right, but whatever damaged Freddy that made him damage the children of Springwood, whatever that was, that’s his mode.

It’s like the a David Lynch movie; he’s the bug under the grass. Freddy’s the spider. Freddy’s the paint. Freddy’s the pollution. And using Springwood as an example of everything. Every town, USA, every town in the world, just sort of a loss of innocence. As Freddy being that paint, that pollution against the loss of innocence, of everybody else.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:17 AM
Hellraiser

ok you lost me at jamie lee curtis comin bak.... you cant bring her bak that wont sell! u killed her off in the last one. i mean itll be hard enough for them to make the new holloween 9 which dont get me wrong i cant wait to see it. but u cant bring jamie lee curtis bak. just no! shes dead liked her in the other eight or accually 7 but thats beside that fact its not goin to happen!
Old 09-25-2005, 09:47 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally posted by evilfromhell
shes dead liked her in the other eight or accually 7 but thats beside that fact its not goin to happen!
Jamie Lee was only in Halloween 1,2, H20, and Resurrection. Thats 4 films. Were are you getting 7?
Old 09-26-2005, 07:46 AM
Hellraiser

close enough. you missed my point. she is dead they killed her off in the recent one. shes done n i think its a good idea that she quit. she cant make a name for her self just by the mike myers movies.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:16 AM
NOT THE GUY YOU THINK

Send a message via AIM to SKOOFx
ok, robert englund is an idiot.

Ive heard him talk about future NMOES films, and i cant believe how retarded he is.

Personally i think its very simple.
IF they ever made another FvJ film, Just keep it in crystal lake. Make it more of a jason and have it tell more of jasons story. THATS IT...the firsto ne focused on freddy.....this one should simply switch up the vibe to other main character.

After that movie, may they never make another FvJ movie again.

But i'll b honest..no mnatter how many crappy sequels pop up, Im always there to watch them. I like seeing what they morph my fav characters into.

But why do the fans see the obvious , but freddy himself, thinks its a good idea to make FvJvAsh or FvJvMyers.....give me a breakkkkkkk.