Old 10-03-2005, 10:38 AM
Tenant

The Silence of the Lambs

Amazing book by Thomas Harris. I just started reading it, and I'm so hooked. It's already by far the best book I've read in years.
Old 10-09-2005, 12:27 PM
Scares Little Kids

Is that based on the movie, starring Jodie Foster...? I wouldn't mind a read if it is.
Old 10-10-2005, 01:30 PM
whatever gets you through

Quote:
Originally posted by big_daddy
Is that based on the movie, starring Jodie Foster...? I wouldn't mind a read if it is.
Other way around - movie based on book. Personally, though, I prefered the prequel (book) Red Dragon. Its one of the few books I've read over and over again. Well written - tense -with some good atmosphere!
Old 10-10-2005, 05:53 PM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Send a message via AIM to The_Return
I cant stand the way the guy writes. I read about 50 pages of Red Dragon a few years back, then put it down and took it back to the Library. Didnt like it at all.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:07 AM

I just felt this total connection to the investigator - Will Graham - in Red Dragon. Which is why it killed me that they cast Ed Norton in the role for the awful remake. The original film version, Manhunter, may have lots of flaws - but William Peterson (the younger and slimmer actor!) was dead on casting.

I think Harris lost his way with Hannibal - which was bloated and poorly written. For my money, though, Red Dragon is about the perfect thriller.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:08 PM
Hellraiser

Quote:
Originally posted by The_Return
I cant stand the way the guy writes. I read about 50 pages of Red Dragon a few years back, then put it down and took it back to the Library. Didnt like it at all.
I had the same issue. Something about his style, put me off. I loved the movies "Manhunter" and "Silence of the Lambs" and knew I was missing alot of good stuff by not reading the books. I just couldn't get past his writing style.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:55 AM

Not being obnoxious (or not trying to be) - but what about the writing style?
Old 10-12-2005, 06:53 PM
Hellraiser

It has been too many years for me to remember exactly what it was about his style that I didn't enjoy.

Generally, when I say I don't like someone's style, I'm not talking about the author's command of the language or the quality of his story. Typically, I just can't relate to the author's voice.

It's a matter of taste and not a criticism.

The best way to describe what I mean by voice is to compare Crichton and King.

In a book by M. Crichton, he's almost invisible. Reading his books are like watching a movie. Whereas King's books are like sitting down with the town gossip. You get the story, the background and everything else. You can't forget that someone is telling you a story in a book by S King. I enjoy both but both have radically different voices.

Cynner
Old 10-13-2005, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cynner
It has been too many years for me to remember exactly what it was about his style that I didn't enjoy.

Generally, when I say I don't like someone's style, I'm not talking about the author's command of the language or the quality of his story. Typically, I just can't relate to the author's voice.

It's a matter of taste and not a criticism.

The best way to describe what I mean by voice is to compare Crichton and King.

In a book by M. Crichton, he's almost invisible. Reading his books are like watching a movie. Whereas King's books are like sitting down with the town gossip. You get the story, the background and everything else. You can't forget that someone is telling you a story in a book by S King. I enjoy both but both have radically different voices.

Cynner
Nicely put - my sense of Harris - at least in Red Dragon - was more of the cinematic sense. But it might be either my identification with the protagonist - which always helps - or the fact that like Harris I grew up in the American south . . . so his voice may seem familiar and, thus, invisible to me.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:07 AM
Tenant

Quote:
Originally posted by Zero
Nicely put - my sense of Harris - at least in Red Dragon - was more of the cinematic sense. But it might be either my identification with the protagonist - which always helps - or the fact that like Harris I grew up in the American south . . . so his voice may seem familiar and, thus, invisible to me.
Harris definately has the cinematic style.