Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-25-2023, 11:59 PM
Evil Dead

The Thing 1982 ★★★★★

A five star (genre) classic, no doubt about that.

From the very start, it does what it sets out to do, certainly for those who understand enough Norwegian to recognise the Norwegian word for "imitate". Wonder how Norwegian viewers felt when they first saw the film. How much of the cat was out of the bag at that point?

For the others, it's the mounting paranoia that gets to you. You can not trust anyone, because anyone or anything could be the thing. The tension never lets up, a feeling supported amazingly by Ennio Morricone's amazing score. A sound like a beating heart to make you more paranoid. All while rooting for one of the biggest badasses in horror history. R J MacReady can hang with Brodski and Ash.

Sooo...

Childs: Well, what do we do?
MacReady: Why don't we just... wait here for a little while... see what happens.
Old 03-26-2023, 12:10 AM
Evil Dead

Curse of the Devil 1973 ★★

Curse of the devil holds the balance between the less good seventies horror and the better seventies campiness.

It shows in the special effects, which are terrible and kind of fun at the same time. The transformation scenes are very forties in the seventies. But I see a certain charm in it.

And at least, Bill The butcher's badly dubbed cousin was not fucking around.
Old 03-26-2023, 12:12 AM
Evil Dead

Prom Night 1980 ★★

For all the ominous music in the score, this movie sure takes a long time to get started with the kills. Not to mention the fact that the killer is by far not as efficient as Jason or Michael Myers. Demonstrated best when tonight's Chris Hargensen gets it. Off screen, though. Luckily, her knuckledragging boyfriend gets the most explicit kill.

That said, the kill count does not go up that high. And while it fits the sex, drugs and death trope, it was kind of sad to see disco Jonah Hill get offed.

Jamie Lee Curtis carries the film, making for a good scream queen. Best moment is her sadness when she recognizes the killers. Sadly, the overall movie could have done better. But at least, it has straight faced Leslie Nielsen to tide you over.

Girls Nite Out 1982 ★★★½

Girls Nite Out is a very enjoyable slasher.

The story is par for the course, though the twist reveal at the end is enjoyable. The cast is a gang of friends, goofballs and douchebags.

But it does have the delightful Lauren-Marie Taylor and nothing makes me hate a slasher killer like killing her character. But Hal Holbrook is also around and he gets (most of) the dun dun dun moments.

The kills are not that graphic, but I like the suit and the weapon looks nice.

Fun stuff for slasher fans. If you have not seen it yet, check it out.
Old 03-26-2023, 12:21 AM
Evil Dead

Faces of Death 1978 ★

While rewatching, I soon came to my conclusion: the age when I could have somewhat enjoyed this has come and gone.

I'm sure numerous pages have been filled calling this immoral and perverted. This is neither of those. Nowadays, It's just dull. A non stop montage of carnage. The question "real or not" does not grab me anymore and the narration can often be summarized with "sheesh, ya think?"

Dawn of the Dead 1978 ★★★★★

One of the best, if not the best zombie movie ever.

A wonderful insight in a world falling apart during an apocalyps. With the chaos in the newsroom as the perfect illustration. Or with the line about how the rednecks are enjoying themselves. You make your own parallel with later events here.

All this with an excellent score by Goblin, both adding beautiful music and an eerie atmosphere where the stress and the fear never let up.

Meanwhile, Romero manages to bring likable main characters to the story. As a viewer, you sympathize with Roger, Peter, Stephen and Francine. You feel happy for them when they find a place to stay, with plenty of food. And guns? Well... "The only person who could miss with this gun is the sucker with the bread to buy it." Boom.

The crushing feeling when Roger gets bitten or when zombie Stpehen comes out of the elevator is both sad and devestating. Further demonstrating the world ending feel.

The zombies look cool - with a particular mention for zombie Maynard James Keenan. While his character may have been a jerk, Tom Savini delivers a badass performance. Both as an actor and as a make up artist. And his buddy Taso gets one of the coolest, most gruesome kills in horror history.

A must see for every horror fan. In every cut available.
Old 03-26-2023, 12:39 AM
Evil Dead

The Day After 1983 ★★★★★

I wish I could be a fly on the wall in different households the eve this first was aired. The closest thing I have now is this report.

This should not be judged by the same standards as other films. To be perfectly honest, the only movie person observation I made is that it was striking how two of the cast members went on to earn their chops in comedy.

It should just be experienced and the viewer should just be immersed in what's going on. It is one haunting image after another. Between the build up with the news always getting worse and scarier, the hospital performing operations under flashlights, the image of Stephen and Denise in the basketball field,...

Together with Schindler's List, this is probably the most relevant film of the past fifty years. To be seen and not forgotten.
Old 03-27-2023, 06:15 AM
病気の

Scars of Dracula, 1970. 7/10

Directed by Roy Ward Baker

Old 03-31-2023, 02:23 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Jarvis View Post
The Thing 1982 ★★★★★

From the very start, it does what it sets out to do, certainly for those who understand enough Norwegian to recognise the Norwegian word for "imitate". Wonder how Norwegian viewers felt when they first saw the film. How much of the cat was out of the bag at that point?

For the others, it's the mounting paranoia that gets to you. You can not trust anyone, because anyone or anything could be the thing. The tension never lets up, a feeling supported amazingly by Ennio Morricone's amazing score. A sound like a beating heart to make you more paranoid. All while rooting for one of the biggest badasses in horror history. R J MacReady can hang with Brodski and Ash.

Sooo...

MacReady: Why don't we just... wait here for a little while... see what happens.
Absolutely true! I saw THE THING at my local theatre for a dollar and got in as the dog is breaking into the camp and was just amazed at how tense the film got and marveling at Bottin's still amazing work. Also, Morricone's score is so effective in its simplicity. I was astounded after reading how the film didn't do well, but it probably was ahead of its time. Very happy it's recognized as the classic it is,
Old 03-31-2023, 02:31 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Faces of Death 1978 ★

While rewatching, I soon came to my conclusion: the age when I could have somewhat enjoyed this has come and gone.

I'm sure numerous pages have been filled calling this immoral and perverted. This is neither of those. Nowadays, It's just dull. A non stop montage of carnage. The question "real or not" does not grab me anymore and the narration can often be summarized with "sheesh, ya think?"

Dawn of the Dead 1978 ★★★★★

One of the best, if not the best zombie movie ever.

A wonderful insight in a world falling apart during an apocalyps. With the chaos in the newsroom as the perfect illustration. Or with the line about how the rednecks are enjoying themselves. You make your own parallel with later events here.

All this with an excellent score by Goblin, both adding beautiful music and an eerie atmosphere where the stress and the fear never let up.

Meanwhile, Romero manages to bring likable main characters to the story. As a viewer, you sympathize with Roger, Peter, Stephen and Francine. You feel happy for them when they find a place to stay, with plenty of food. And guns? Well... "The only person who could miss with this gun is the sucker with the bread to buy it." Boom.

The crushing feeling when Roger gets bitten or when zombie Stpehen comes out of the elevator is both sad and devestating. Further demonstrating the world ending feel.

The zombies look cool - with a particular mention for zombie Maynard James Keenan. While his character may have been a jerk, Tom Savini delivers a badass performance. Both as an actor and as a make up artist. And his buddy Taso gets one of the coolest, most gruesome kills in horror history.

A must see for every horror fan. In every cut available.
I couldn't get through FACES OF DEATH, especially after the monkey and can't imagine why anyone would want to bother.

DAWN OF THE DEAD....so much has been said, but You still came up with solid observations that make Me want to check it out again, in all three cuts I have!
I was just crushed when Roger is bitten, although He really wasn't as focused as He should have been. I also love Peter's quote about that high powered rifle He picks up. And despite all the viewings, I still get a laugh when Steven and Peter are looking at the food and Peter picks up the huge loaf of bread, says "Mine" or "Mange" (not sure and subtitles would help) and laughs
Old 03-31-2023, 02:55 AM
Evil Dead

ZUMA BEACH (1978). TV movie involving a singer (Suzanne Somers, hot from THREE'S COMPANY) having problems following up from a successful single goes to her favorite beach to chill and consider her options. While there, She befriends some younger people and has a good time, but there is no mention of what decision She has come to by the end.

ZB reminds Me very much of a Crown Productions film-good production values, OK music and almost all the guys are jerks- without the T and A. Still, plenty of bikinis here and a great cast including PJ Soles, Michael Biehn, Rosanna Arquette, Kimberly Beck (F13 PART 4and looking smashing) and early roles for Timothy Hutton and Delta Burke. Also some story ideas by John Carpenter right before HALLOWEEN.

PJ mentioned in a SHOCK CINEMA interview that Suzanne was standoffish and may have been insecure with all the younger actresses in the film. But She looks lovely in her blue one piece and her vocalizing over the end credits isn't bad either. ***
Old 04-02-2023, 07:06 AM
ventricle

Quote:
The Thing 1982 ★★★★★

Sooo...

You mean Sergeant Brodski from Jason X?

Yes, The Thing 82 is definitely one of the best horrors. Best practical effects in horror too.