Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Latest Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-04-2020, 06:57 AM
This is a test

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerfan View Post
Hmm....now I have to watch it again. I don't remember the soundtrack!
Its more orchestral than anything.
Old 05-04-2020, 07:57 AM
Top Of The World Ma!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloof View Post
Its more orchestral than anything.
it had that hooky old-timey stringed instrument sound when there were action scenes like riding horses across the countryside, etc

his movies are mostly hooky like that .. kind of plastic-y/formulaic

i did like Deep Rising and Odd Thomas .. but the mummy films and van helsing ... they always left me kind of cold.
Old 05-04-2020, 08:06 AM
病気の

1 BR, 2019. 6,5/10

Director: David Marmor

Old 05-04-2020, 09:27 AM
Living Dead

i

Last edited by Amaltheaunicorn; 05-05-2020 at 05:43 AM.
Old 05-04-2020, 01:46 PM
This is a test

Quote:
Originally Posted by urgeok2 View Post
it had that hooky old-timey stringed instrument sound when there were action scenes like riding horses across the countryside, etc

his movies are mostly hooky like that .. kind of plastic-y/formulaic

i did like Deep Rising and Odd Thomas .. but the mummy films and van helsing ... they always left me kind of cold.
I loved the first Mummy film.
Old 05-04-2020, 03:08 PM
ventricle

The Brave One (2007)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Jarvis View Post
Death Sentence - This is a poor man's Death Wish: the happy family in the beginning, the losing the son, justice department sucks at it's job, the execution style killings, Hey Joe on the soundtrack for some reason... And at one point the main character escapes from the hospital and shaves his hair, because of course he does.

That said, Bacon and Goodman both do a decent job and share a good scene.
Quote:
after recently watching Death Wish for the first time in a long time .. I'd call it the poor man's Death Sentence.
I remember thinking Death Wish was a cool iconic film... but after watching it again .. i thought it was pretty crappy. It made a huge impression at the time because there was nothing really like it before. It was very raw - something i normally like .. but this viewing has me wondering why i ever liked it. Both films were based on books by the same author - Brian Garfield .. although apparently Death Sentence wasn't much like the book at all.
Kevin Bacon acts rings around Bronson. And I thought Goodman was fantastic.
Its probably not going to be a popular opinion here but personally - i think the newer film is a dozen times better than the original Death Wish.
What'd you guys think of The Brave One (2007), starring Jodie Foster? That's basically Death Wish again. I thought it was alright. It was fairly realistic. It doesn't torture us with a graphic opening attack on Jodie. It deals with Jodie dealing with the attack eventually, and first her being a vigilante.

Eugeok -- I know what you mean about some films you watch again much later and wonder why you ever thought it was good or why it made an impression. I'd suggest the obvious, it's about how it made you feel. Attacking a fear head on is (usually) a liberating experience. Of course Death Wish, as I recall, is more so revenge, as I don't recall the Bronson character was ever shown to be scared of anything. But we, the general audience, would have a healthy fear of seeking out violent encounters with violent criminals in their hunting grounds.

I'd rather just except your assessment that Death Wish was a sucky film, but otherwise there's the notion the pace and shots of 70's films at the time can be rather slow and mostly undynamic.

Old 05-04-2020, 11:22 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
What'd you guys think of The Brave One (2007), starring Jodie Foster? That's basically Death Wish again. I thought it was alright. It was fairly realistic. It doesn't torture us with a graphic opening attack on Jodie. It deals with Jodie dealing with the attack eventually, and first her being a vigilante.
Not yet, but it's goign on my watchlist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
I'd rather just except your assessment that Death Wish was a sucky film, but otherwise there's the notion the pace and shots of 70's films at the time can be rather slow and mostly undynamic.
This reminds me of something I heard on the Dead Meat channel on Final Destination. According to James, the test audiences were so shocked by the scene with Terry being run over by a bus that the filmmakers had to insert 40 seconds of footage in order to give them time to recover. Maybe filmmakers in the 70s also purposely gave the audience more time to take in the action.

Quote:
after recently watching Death Wish for the first time in a long time .. I'd call it the poor man's Death Sentence.
I remember thinking Death Wish was a cool iconic film... but after watching it again .. i thought it was pretty crappy. It made a huge impression at the time because there was nothing really like it before. It was very raw - something i normally like .. but this viewing has me wondering why i ever liked it. Both films were based on books by the same author - Brian Garfield .. although apparently Death Sentence wasn't much like the book at all.
Kevin Bacon acts rings around Bronson. And I thought Goodman was fantastic.
Its probably not going to be a popular opinion here but personally - i think the newer film is a dozen times better than the original Death Wish.
I see where you are coming from. Death Wish is one of those films where the iconic status perhaps makes it better than it actually is.

I also agree that John Goodman makes for a good villain. I wonder if he had any other villain roles and I don't include 10 Cloverfield Lane because that one left it a bit in the middle.
Old 05-05-2020, 03:00 AM
Evil Dead

METAL:A HEADBANGERS JOURNEY (2005). Very good documentary on Heavy Metal music with its origins, place in society, controversies etc. Sam Dunn of Banger Films (also check out RUSH: BEYOND THE LIGHTED STAGE and SUPER DUPER ALICE COOPER) is a real fan , interviewing heavyweights like Tony Iommi, Bruce Dickinson and Ronnie James Dio among others. If You're into this sort of music, it's well worth a watch, although I find some of the interviews, especially with Norwegian bands to be almost Spinal Tap-is. ****
Old 05-05-2020, 04:16 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryeDwight View Post
METAL:A HEADBANGERS JOURNEY (2005). Very good documentary on Heavy Metal music with its origins, place in society, controversies etc. Sam Dunn of Banger Films (also check out RUSH: BEYOND THE LIGHTED STAGE and SUPER DUPER ALICE COOPER) is a real fan , interviewing heavyweights like Tony Iommi, Bruce Dickinson and Ronnie James Dio among others. If You're into this sort of music, it's well worth a watch, although I find some of the interviews, especially with Norwegian bands to be almost Spinal Tap-is. ****
Agreed. Personally, I rememer missing bands like Deftones, but that's just a detail. Well recommended.
Old 05-05-2020, 06:35 AM
Living Dead

Martyrs (2008), directed by Pascal Laugier.

One thing comes to my mind: WOW. This is actually a masterpiece. Such a dark, ground-breaking, brave and moving piece of work. It did play on my mind. Truly devastating.

Train (2008), directed by Gideon Raff.

I'm not exactly sure what I was expecting with this one. It's about a bunch of American kids travelling around and getting terrorized in a titular train in Eastern Europe. There are some loopholes, but it can work for fans of gore with a not so bad of a story line.

[Rec] 3: Genesis (2012), directed by Paco Plaza.
[Rec] 4: Apocalypse (2014), directed by Jaume Balagueró.

[Rec] 3 totally departs from [Rec] & [Rec] 2 - actually the one and only link connecting these stories is "Uncle" who happens to be a vet recently bitten by a dog ([Rec]). The movie itself is like... love it or hate it. As an individual black comedy flick it's pretty good.
[Rec] 4 is finally back to the original story, though. I liked it.

Afflicted (2013), directed by Derek Lee, Clif Prowse.

The concept is solid, though it's quite messy. Throughout the first part of the movie, the action developed really slowly... and it didn't look much like a horror film. All in all, I liked the idea and it was quite entertaining, though there were some flaws - some scenes were a little bit cheesy, could have been omitted, really.

The Occupant (2020), directed by David Pastor, Àlex Pastor.

It's full of narrative holes (I don't want to spoil anything, but for the first half of the film it's not clear what the protagonist wants...). Javier Gutiérrez as a sociopath does a good job, though the movie is very predictable. Don't get me wrong, it's not THAT bad, but I can't stop thinking it could have been done better.

Last edited by Maila Munster; 05-05-2020 at 06:42 AM.

Tags
movie