Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-31-2011, 05:06 AM
Scares Little Kids

I could do with some recommendations!

Hey all, happy Halloween.

I'm new here so if this type of thread isn't welcome or is in the wrong place I apologise.

When I was a kid I remember sneaking over to my friends house with my brother and we watched all of the Nightmare on Elm Street movies (go, parents!) and ever since then I fell in love with the franchise and Krueger is easily my favourite movie villain of all time. I still love the Nightmare movies but I'm sad to say I've never found anything that did it for my quite like they did.

I think the element I liked so much was the surreal side of things. Movies where there is a crazy person going around killing people for whatever reason - no matter how gruesome the deaths - doesn't really interest me. The scene that is always in my mind from Nightmare on Elm Street is the one where there is a sheep running through a hall. I always just found it so creepy for some reason. The music was perfect, even the lighting was creepy.

Can anybody think of any movies I might enjoy? The only other horror movie I've seen with the surreal elements I'm looking for is The Exorcist.

Last edited by SoulPizza; 10-31-2011 at 05:19 AM.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:31 AM
Banned

You want surreal, try these

ERASERHEAD [1977]
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074486/

SOCIETY [1989]
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098354/

FROM BEYOND [1986]
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091083/
Old 10-31-2011, 05:32 AM
Midnight toker

The Sentinel
Eraserhead
Videodrome
The Shining
Susperia
In the Mouth of Madness
Phantasm
The Beyond

:cool:
Old 10-31-2011, 07:46 AM
legal eyes

Send a message via AIM to jay o2 waster
Definitely Eraserhead and Susperia as mentioned before. Also look into the first couple Hellraiser films and The Candyman series if you are looking for franchise villain. Begotten is also a good one!
Old 10-31-2011, 08:14 AM
Evil Dead

Well, hello, a fellow surrealist...

Let's see...reccomendations...

Again, Suspiria, one of my all-time favourites. Absolutely insane and is a melding of bright lights, flashes of colour and a thunderous rock soundtrack...and some stuff about witches that's not really important. :D

I also reccomend City Of The Living Dead (or Gates Of Hell if you're an American, it's just a different name) The Beyond and House By The Cemetary all three by Lucio Fulci...ah, Italians...

American films I'd reccomend are, again, Eraserhead quite possibly the most surreal and strange film ever made and I'd also reccomend the The Shining. It's more of a haunted house movie, but there are some strong surrealist elements as well, which aren't really mentioned as much for some reason...

Also, Phantasm which I've never actually seen (shock horror, although I've got my sights set on it) seems ptretty surreal and Santa Sangre (again, this is taken from clips I've seen)
Old 11-01-2011, 03:23 AM
Scares Little Kids

Thanks for the recommendations everyone I'll definitely check them out. Does anybody have anything a little more recent though? Don't get me wrong, I love the old practical effects - buckets of red corn syrup and latex skin being torn apart beats CGI any day but I can't seem to get into older films as much, which sucks terribly. I wish I could because I know there's some real gems out there. I just for me once I've gone HD it's hard to go back :P

I'll still check the movies you guys listed though, but still, can anybody think of any newer (2000 on) movies that have these surreal elements I'm looking for?
Old 11-02-2011, 06:32 AM
Evil Dead

Shame on you for not wanting to watch the classics.

And did someone mention Phantasm,hey check my avatar.One of the most surreal movies you could ever wish to see.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:44 AM
EVERY DAY IS A HAPPY DAY

Send a message via Skype™ to crazy raplh
If you want recent rent Ginger snaps or Jack Frost, maybe even trick or treat

http://www.yourwellnessbreakthrough.com/jdrewien/
Old 11-02-2011, 10:57 AM
Banned

I'd recommend these newer flicks:

Pans Labrynth
The Cell

As for some other surreal flicks before 2000(not all horror but worth watching):

Pink Floyds The Wall(this movie scared the shit out of me as a kid)
Brazil
In The Company Of Wolves
Naked Lunch
Old 11-02-2011, 11:31 AM
Scares Little Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthropophagus View Post
Shame on you for not wanting to watch the classics.

And did someone mention Phantasm,hey check my avatar.One of the most surreal movies you could ever wish to see.
Hey I didn't say I didn't want to, I said I have trouble getting into them. I also said I was going to check them out. I'm watching Suspiria as I type this.