Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Latest Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-17-2013, 07:31 PM
Evil Puppy

Today...

Messengers 2
Fallen
I Spit on Your Grave
Muppet Wizard of Oz
Old 09-17-2013, 10:31 PM
For Vendetta

Wheew! What a ride.

Blockbusters these days are upping the ante with each passing film, and there's a good reason to watch these films on the big screen (think IMAX with full surround sound). Either that, or a fantastic home theater system with a 50" LED/Plasma, BRD, and (at least) 5.1/7.1 sound.

Great to see the familiar characters back. Zachary Quinto nails his Spock, while Chris Pine does awesomely well in his Kirk shoes. Kudos must go to Simon Pegg though - he's a blast as Scotty. Karl Urban's Bones McCoy didn't have much to do in this, except get his hand jammed in a (presumably) missile. Bigger role this time went to Sulu's character, and he did superbly well. The biggest revelation was Benedict Cumberbatch as Khan - menacing, superhuman, arrogantly confident. And above all, it was wonderful to see Peter Weller after a long, long time. RoboCop has aged, but his voice still remains as commanding as ever. To top it all off, a cameo by Leonard Nimoy never hurts.

Mind-blowing CGI and sound effects, and a nice little plot borrowing from the original Wrath of Khan storyline, makes this a must-watch. Ardent Trek fans will be on familiar territory during the climax sequence - roles are reversed between Kirk & Spock this time around, but the climax is basically the same. This one has louder, eye-popping effects though.

Go watch it on the big screen, if it's still showing near you. Or grab the BRD.

Old 09-17-2013, 11:13 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by _____V_____ View Post
Really looking forward to seeing that. I like Cumberbatch, he's carried off the re-imagined Holmes very well and he's good in a variety of roles. I bet he's an excellent villain.

I'll be watching at home though, cinemas are way too loud these days :-) That and the back row of kids chatting and giggling all the way through... mumble grumble...
Old 09-18-2013, 02:13 AM
No, fuck YOU

"This is the end" 6/10

Always fun to see so many famous faces in one movie, but the story was lame, even boring at times, and it didn't really have any laughing-out-loud moments for me.

But the monsters were super cool.

"The Hidden" 7/10

Quite entertaining sci-fi with good performances from the lead roles.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:40 AM
No, fuck YOU

"100 greatest scary moments" 1/10

There's at least 2 things wrong with that titel.

First of all, not even half of this top 100 is horror. It contains all kinds of crap,
such as soundtracks, boring british series, music videoes and what not. But how many
Asian horror movies has made this list? Ringu. How many british drama series? About 5-10.

Then there's the "moments" part. You'd expect to see the frightening highlights of these movies, series etc., right? Wrong. You just get some random scenes for the most part.

And then there's the people commenting on these movies. I'm not even sure they've seen the movies they're talking about unless they've been involved with them. Some brainless bimbo even called "Final Destination" a very low budget movie. Not just low budget. VERY low budget. The flick had a budget of $23 million, for crying out loud. That's a freakin huge amount for a horror movie!! Pissed me right off..

Yea, don't bother wasting 3 hours of your life on this crap.

100 GREATEST scary moments. My ass.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:29 AM
For Vendetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angra View Post
I can think of 100 scary moments right there. :D

---------------------------

Intriguing. So much so that it made me research on this (after I watched it), and I came across a few articles which shed more light on this very interesting incident :-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyatlov_Pass_incident

http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/dya...solved-mystery

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...tain-1959.html

The film, in the true style of found-footage documentary (or mockumentary, as it is called), tries to give one explanation of what might have happened up there in the mountains. It tries to cover the sci-fi/horror part of it, which makes things at the end seem a bit similar to the ending of [REC]º 2, relating all of it to the Russian equivalent of a famous American Naval experiment we all know about, in the mid-40s. Of course, there's a local tribal connection offered to all this as well.

Things seem forced and rushed in-between the events which unfold, but the premise itself makes the film unsettling and queasy to watch. The bizarre flashy lighting during the climactic sequences makes things seem more terrifying than it might be, and that's a good thing. There are a few illogical twists along the way, none more than the one at the absolute end which will make eyes roll, but overall, I would say it's a semi-decent watch.

Would I recommend it? Yes, to all lovers of found-footage films. Just be sure to have an open mind while watching it, or you might end up a bit let down by the ending.

Certainly a lot better than the disappointing Chernobyl Diaries.

Old 09-18-2013, 11:03 AM
Pirate of Bengal

^^oh, man! so much movies to catch out!:o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angra View Post
"100 greatest scary moments" 1/10

ROFL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by _____V_____ View Post
I can think of 100 scary moments right there. :D
What...100?! I won't even dare to think about 1!:D
Old 09-19-2013, 04:41 AM
Roll up! Roll up!

I watched The Cabin in the Woods for the first time last night.

I had always thought it was another derivative slasher and paid it no attention.

Ho-lee shit son!
Old 09-19-2013, 07:54 AM
Little Boo

Pacific Rim at the theatre. Meh. Good effects and robot battles but the whole movie felt hollow. Worth seeing for the effect though I guess.

Paranormal Asylum from red box. So so horror flick about the ghost of Typhoid Mary. I think it was her ghost anyway. Had some plot holes and slow moments but worth checking out on rental or if you can find the DVD for sale cheap.
Old 09-19-2013, 03:30 PM
Evil Dead

"Evil Dead" (2013)

Plot:
Mia, a young woman struggling with sobriety, heads to a remote cabin with her brother and a group of friends, where the discovery of a Book of the Dead leads to danger and horror.

Phantom's Review: Well, I finally got around to seeing the remake and much to my surprise..I liked it. But, even though I liked it, the film in it self is nothing all that special. It's gory as hell, the FX are good and the actors do a fine job, but there's absolutely nothing that makes it stand out from a hundred other films. The original was unique and different for it's time (that's why it's the original, I guess) this film could have been just another sequel it's so unoriginal. Still it's not a bad way to spend an evening. Believe me I've seen worse.

Tags
movie