Old 04-06-2008, 05:28 PM
HDC Idol

So I just watched The Great Yokai War.

It was the first time that I have seen what feels like a live-action anime (that doesn't have terrible costumes). I thought that the movie was - OK. Good JA kids fantasy movie, but ran a little long and got a little ridiculous at time. But, overall, it was interesting to see Miike doing a kids movie.

After viewing, I was left with the feeling that I was missing something, in a more cultural sense. I thought that the representation of the Yokai was well-done, but I'd like to learn a lot more about the JA fairy tales and legends that they're based on moreso than see the movie again.

Has anyone seen it?

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 04-06-2008, 06:12 PM
Evil Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post
So I just watched The Great Yokai War.

It was the first time that I have seen what feels like a live-action anime (that doesn't have terrible costumes). I thought that the movie was - OK. Good JA kids fantasy movie, but ran a little long and got a little ridiculous at time. But, overall, it was interesting to see Miike doing a kids movie.

After viewing, I was left with the feeling that I was missing something, in a more cultural sense. I thought that the representation of the Yokai was well-done, but I'd like to learn a lot more about the JA fairy tales and legends that they're based on moreso than see the movie again.

Has anyone seen it?
Not yet, I have seen a couple movies that really feel like a live-action anime but not from Miike yet (remember I said Ichi reminded me of a manga not an anime heh). Netflix has a decent little collection of Miike films, Yokai is in my queue.

Last edited by Despare; 04-06-2008 at 09:26 PM.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:57 PM
Mephistophiliac

Send a message via AIM to Doc Faustus
I think Miike's one of the most fearless explorers of gender and relationship issues out there. For me, Ichi was a masterful examination of masculinity and Audition was extremely gutsy. His schizoid genre breaks can be annoying, but they're also refreshing.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:17 PM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Faustus View Post
I think Miike's one of the most fearless explorers of gender and relationship issues out there. For me, Ichi was a masterful examination of masculinity and Audition was extremely gutsy. His schizoid genre breaks can be annoying, but they're also refreshing.
Have you seen Visitor Q, Doc? If you're fascinated with his exploration of power, exploitation and (e)masculinity, you should definitely check out Visitor Q.

Old 04-21-2008, 03:16 PM
Mephistophiliac

I've gotta check that one out sometime.
Old 04-21-2008, 05:41 PM
HDC Idol

You really do. As cheesy as it sounds, I'm glad that I had seen Visitor Q before seeing Ichi the Killer. To tell you the truth, I went into Ichi expecting a JA Yakuza film (blood, guts, gore, torture, fighting, violence), but when I realized that it was more the deconstruction of the weakness and codependence of man with a lot of the fighting off scene, instead of being disappointed, I was actually impressed at how Miike can take a genre piece and make it his own. I think that viewing Visitor Q (and to a lesser extent, Audition and The Box) before Ichi enabled me to better understand and deconstruct it afterwards (as opposed to my philistine friends who pretty much had comments like, "ICHI'S WEARING A TURTLE SUIT!" ... sigh).

Old 04-21-2008, 06:05 PM
Mephistophiliac

I'd seen Audition and Box before seeing Ichi. I felt Ichi was much stronger than both of them, as the genre shifts were much smoother.
Old 06-14-2008, 04:39 PM
HDC Idol

*bumps the Miike thread that has substance*

So I finally saw Gozu.

And, honestly, the more I see of Miike the more I am so incredibly impressed with his work (which I know that I've said before).

I thought that Gozu was incredible - Just as in his other works, Miike is a master of atmosphere. I thought that Gozu focused on a tone of absurdity, more so than in his other works. I honestly felt as though he took a page from Lynch's book, focusing on the absurd to as a vehicle for a journey. Every scene and every character is unique, eccentric, and absolutely compelling. Actually - that's a great word for it, compelling. Instead of experimenting with shock value and the weaknesses of man, Miike creates a pure journey into the absurd. Minami plays a tragic "innocent" hero (Miike always asks the question, "What is innocence really?") questing for his missing brother and stumbling across odd character after odd character.

In some ways, this is my favorite Miike film. It's not pure horror and not pure action. It's compelling and brilliant.

Any thoughts on Gozu? I'd love to hear from others who've seen the film.

Old 06-14-2008, 04:50 PM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Send a message via AIM to The_Return
I really want to see that one....sounds whacked out and awesome.

Haven't been able to find ot around here though, as per usual.
Old 06-14-2008, 05:04 PM
HDC Idol

You crazy Canadians. You need to get Netflix up there. :p

Until then, you can watch it from here:

http://asianhorror.forumarena.com/as...thread151.html

(If that link didn't work because you don't have an account, the homepage is here:

http://asianhorror.forumarena.com/)

It's my source for un-netflix-able Asian horror films.