Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Latest Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-06-2015, 12:22 AM
Evil Dead

the gallows

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2309260/...6?ref_=tt_bd_3

A slaranormal, part slasher, part paranormal? The thing that got me interested in this is the clip is that i saw mentions comparrisons to freddy and jason's weapons of mass destruction. Can't help but feel this is an error of judgement and they are letting themselves in for a fall . Most people, including its core audience, will now make comparissons betwwen those films and this, and, unless its another classic, it will come up short. Opinions?

Last edited by neilold; 07-06-2015 at 12:26 AM.
Old 07-06-2015, 03:24 AM
Horror > Everything

I'd have to agree. Inviting comparison to the classics is usually a bad idea, so if the filmmakers and/or the publicity department are doing so, I worry for the films reception. Often the hype machine, in it's attempt to drag an audience in, will alienate the hardcore horror crowd. I hope this isnt the case with The Gallows. There are exceptions, however; Adam Green's Hatchet was largely hyped as a return to the golden age of slasher films, and in my opinion, it was that and more. Posters were adorned with a quote from Aint It Cool News, proclaiming Victor Crowley to be " the next horror icon ", and Hatchet actually delivered on that promise. Which side of this fence will The Gallows fall on? I guess we'll see.

That said, I will be seeing The Gallows in the theater. It seems to have the potential to be a very polarizing film. Not sure if I'm right, but the trailer has me thinking there will be no middle ground for audiences and this movie.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:03 AM
Evil Dead

It looks kinda like Grave Encounters. I'm in.
Old 07-09-2015, 04:23 PM
Evil Dead

I'm in the theatre now. Here's the trailers:

Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension
The Gift
The Visit
The Perfect Guy
Paper Towns
We Are Your Friends
Vacation

Last edited by horcrux2007; 07-09-2015 at 07:00 PM.
Old 07-10-2015, 01:00 AM
Evil Dead

I get the hatchet thing, but that was a little more ambiguous. Saying 'next horror icon' and 'return to slashers of old' isn't really the same as comparing him indirectly to freddy and jason. But i get your point, as a matter of fact i love old Crowley probably more than Jason now. Has anyone seen the movie, and is it any good?
Old 07-10-2015, 03:08 AM
Evil Dead

I liked it but apparently everyone else hated it. You'll like it I'd you enjoyed Grave Encounters or As Above/So Below, but the ending is absolutely atrocious. I posted my full opinion on it in the last seen contemporary movie thread.

Last edited by horcrux2007; 07-10-2015 at 06:11 AM.
Old 07-13-2015, 05:51 AM
Evil Dead

if it's behind the camera, paranormal style, i'll pretty much hate it. The only ones of those type of films i really like are V/H/S (and i'm waiting on unfriended to) and even then, i still hate them when they do the quick pans stuff and half spoken dialogue
Old 07-13-2015, 03:32 PM
Hellraiser

I've seen better, I've seen worse. It managed to not be boring, and at least made the character fun if not likable.
Old 07-13-2015, 04:11 PM
Horror Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by horcrux2007 View Post
I'm in the theatre now. Here's the trailers:

Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension
The Gift
The Visit
The Perfect Guy
Paper Towns
We Are Your Friends
Vacation
Dude, I was sitting behind you AGAIN. No posting during the coming attractions smh!

Old 07-13-2015, 05:16 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelMyers View Post
Dude, I was sitting behind you AGAIN. No posting during the coming attractions smh!
k i was sitting in the back row