Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Horror.com General Forum

Old 10-16-2016, 02:04 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Villain View Post
Frankenstein throws the girl into the river. Thats not good enough?
Quote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frankenstein_(1931_film)
The shot of Maria being thrown into the lake was rediscovered during the 1980s in the collection of the British National Film Archive. Modern copies incorporate it.[12]
Well, what do you know?! I just watched the pond toss for the first time in my life on Youtube. I didn't even know that scene still existed, let alone was restored.

Sorry about that, Villain! Learn something new every day...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeg Head1 View Post
What did you hear about Dakota Fanning?
meh... from what I heard, and now read, when she was 12 she acted in a child rape scene that many in the industry criticised as inappropriate and unnecessary.

Old 10-16-2016, 02:21 PM
Evil is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
Well, what do you know?! I just watched the pond toss for the first time in my life on Youtube. I didn't even know that scene still existed, let alone was restored.

Sorry about that, Villain! Learn something new every day...

meh... from what I heard, and now read, when she was 12 she acted in a child rape scene that many in the industry criticised as inappropriate and unnecessary.
No Problem man and the movie was Hounddog and it was unnecessary as it really didnt do anything for the plot or exist as a way to talk about what girls, even children, go through when they are raped. The movie was more about her obsession with Elvis. The whole movie was pretty pointless

Old 10-23-2016, 07:54 PM
Little Boo

I wasn't even necessarily talking about younger ones only like what I would call "children" such as like 13 down I meant pretty much anything under 18 period it just seems like there is a weird cut off like even 16-17 you just don't see it happen. I also stated it poorly but I more so meant actual sort of legit hack em up slasher offings like friday the 13th/Halloween/Scream style etc. I know that there have been a few here and there where younger ones have had deat scenes in sort of more serious dramatic type scenes but I more so meant just straight hack em up sorta ones where the slasher takes them out like any other person.

As far as the comments about it feeling wrong or immoral the way i'm looking at it wouldn't they all be then? it's okay in a fictional movie for 18 and older to be seen visually chopped in half it's literally the plot of most slashers but it's somehow wrong for the same thing with someone say 16-17 ? I just find it odd lol. There was also the rap scene comparisons or something which I find in a whole other category all together. There is much more required of the young actor or actress and much more real life issues implied to do a scene like that and more actual physical requirements then a slasher film deat scen. I'm sure they would look at a scene like that no different than any other scene they acted. It happens in others types of genres all the time take the hunger games for example. For whatever reason it's just taboo in slashers.

I also would like opinions on the second issue I brought up as i've found it odd as well. It seems to me especially more recently that in most cases they have veered away from on screen scenes like this period with anyone and especially females i'm not sure why but it just seems they feel like it's more okay to show males being offed more brutally and visually graphic than females that's always just rubbed me the wrong way for some reason. Going along with the female empowerment movement that's been happening which i'm all for but it just kind of irks me that they seem to think it's okay to show males being visually offed as if they aren't as good or deserve it. Just my opinion on it but back to the topic at hand.

Aside from the Males vs females being offed on screen thing even overall period it's seemed they have veered from on screen slasher type scenes even in "slasher" movies if you can call them that these days.They 85% of the time these days seem to go for the showing the slasher coming at them maybe about to swing an axe or something at the person then cutting away. Maybe if there feeling feisty possibly showing the corpse for a second later on. That combined with the other cut away stuff in moves now where there will literally be 20 minutes of build up to a scene of someone being stalked or something only for it to end with the slasher or whoever popping up behind them the person gasping then cutting to black.

It's become so common for people to survive and for things to happen in horror movies that should be the unexpected that I expect it all and im more surprised now days by a character being legitimately offed than I am a movie with a thousand plot twists and turns. To me you can't call a movie that has all off screen cut away flash scenes and half the time 3/4 of the cast all survive maybe 1 offing a slasher just because there is a masked person stalking people. People actually have to be slashed for it to be a slasher lol.
Old 10-23-2016, 08:05 PM
Horror Fan

I think part of the reason young, teen, and pre-teen girls aren't slaughtered more is that would be a big turnoff for the audience. It is like slaughtering animals in a film. Many people would not find that kind of graphic violence titillating and would walk out.

Studios test audience reaction all the time for films. If these audiences start demanding the murder of young, teen girls then Slasher you will see your interest satisfied.

Old 10-23-2016, 11:10 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slasher25 View Post
I also would like opinions on the second issue I brought up as i've found it odd as well. It seems to me especially more recently that in most cases they have veered away from on screen scenes like this period with anyone and especially females i'm not sure why but it just seems they feel like it's more okay to show males being offed more brutally and visually graphic than females that's always just rubbed me the wrong way for some reason. Going along with the female empowerment movement that's been happening which i'm all for but it just kind of irks me that they seem to think it's okay to show males being visually offed as if they aren't as good or deserve it. Just my opinion on it but back to the topic at hand.

Aside from the Males vs females being offed on screen thing even overall period it's seemed they have veered from on screen slasher type scenes even in "slasher" movies if you can call them that these days.They 85% of the time these days seem to go for the showing the slasher coming at them maybe about to swing an axe or something at the person then cutting away. Maybe if there feeling feisty possibly showing the corpse for a second later on. That combined with the other cut away stuff in moves now where there will literally be 20 minutes of build up to a scene of someone being stalked or something only for it to end with the slasher or whoever popping up behind them the person gasping then cutting to black.

It's become so common for people to survive and for things to happen in horror movies that should be the unexpected that I expect it all and im more surprised now days by a character being legitimately offed than I am a movie with a thousand plot twists and turns. To me you can't call a movie that has all off screen cut away flash scenes and half the time 3/4 of the cast all survive maybe 1 offing a slasher just because there is a masked person stalking people. People actually have to be slashed for it to be a slasher lol.
This probably has more to do with rating of the movie. Less violence = less rating = potentially larger audience market.

Men getting offed more violently than women is not a trend I've really noticed, but if true than perhaps it's because in horror we tend to associate men with strength and women with vulnerability. To build upon that vulnerability of a female a film maker might draw out the psychological element of the violence. For a man they may draw out and enhance the violence itself, to strip the male of his physical strength.
Old 10-24-2016, 05:10 AM
Evil Dead

[QUOTE=Slasher25;1020900]
As far as the comments about it feeling wrong or immoral the way i'm looking at it wouldn't they all be then? it's okay in a fictional movie for 18 and older to be seen visually chopped in half it's literally the plot of most slashers but it's somehow wrong for the same thing with someone say 16-17 ? I just find it odd lol.[QUOTE]

Well then where is the cutoff age? You need to have one yeah? 18 works for a lot of things so I do not see the problem with it.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:20 AM
Sis-boom-bah

[x

Last edited by Fake Shemp; 11-03-2016 at 07:58 AM.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:38 AM
Sis-boom-bah

x

Last edited by Fake Shemp; 11-03-2016 at 07:58 AM.
Old 10-29-2016, 08:57 PM
Evil Puppy

I just saw Cooties which was fun but not exceptional. I do believe that it contains the largest number of pre-teen deaths that I've seen in a movie.
Old 11-02-2016, 07:41 AM
Sis-boom-bah

x

Last edited by Fake Shemp; 11-03-2016 at 08:07 AM.

Tags
horror