Old 11-05-2020, 09:07 PM
Little Boo

Noel Langley

His British 1950 collection Tales of Mystery and Revenge is rare, as is the 1969 Mayflower PB reprint. Neither made it to America. One story originally published in 1935, Serenade for Baboons, was reprinted in several books including Pan Book of Horror Stories, which was reprinted in America, but the other reprinted story, Bone Bead Necklace, was only reprinted in the British anthology Medley Macabre in 1966, which never made it to America. However, I found a story by Langley in the Saturday Evening Post from 1948 called Day of Vengeance: archive.org/details/the-saturday-evening-post-1948-04-10/
which seems to be the same story as Bone Bead Necklace. There doesn't seem to be any mention of this anywhere on the web, so I thought horror story fans would like to know, since it's a good tale and extremely hard to find under its later title.
Old 12-23-2020, 09:08 PM
Little Boo

I recently started adding and correcting info on ISFDB. One of the many things I changed was adding a note that "Day of Vengeance" was the original title for "The Bone Bead Necklace" by Noel Langley. However, they won't officially add it as a variant title because there is no info on the web verifying the title change, even though I actually read the story in the issue of Saturday Evening Post where it appeared. Does anyone have access to the issue of SEP mentioned above and/or Langley's collection Tales of Mystery and Revenge (or the anthology Medley Macabre where Bone Bead Necklace was reprinted)?
Old 03-10-2021, 08:01 AM
Little Boo

Quote:
I recently started adding and correcting info on ISFDB. One of the many things I changed was adding a note that "Day of Vengeance" was the original title for "The Bone Bead Necklace" by Noel Langley. However, they won't officially add it as a variant title because there is no info on the web verifying the title change, even though I actually read the story in the issue of Saturday Evening Post where it appeared. Does anyone have access to the issue of SEP mentioned above and/or Langley's collection Tales of Mystery and Revenge (or the anthology Medley Macabre where Bone Bead Necklace was reprinted)?
The Bone Bead Necklace was actually a pretty good work but Day of Vengeance was way better