Old 12-20-2009, 09:43 AM
Evil Dead

The Bridge - A documentary about people who have/have tried to kill themselves by jumping off the Golden Gate Bridge. Really upsetting.

The Black Dahlia – I liked the book a good deal, but this was a baaaaad movie. Clunky, over-long, and Josh Hartnett is feature-free.

Sam

New horror comics each month | Vols. 1 & 2 on sale now - just $15 each.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:42 AM
No, fuck YOU

"Paul Blart: Mall Cop" 2-3/10

Just come to realize Kevin James isn't funny outside of Queens..
Old 12-20-2009, 01:37 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via AIM to The Mothman
Black Cobra - a cheesy blaxploitation rip off of Stallone's Cobra starring Fred Williamson. A couple decent shootouts.

Crippled Masters - pretty cool kung fu movie starring a guy with no arms and a guy with no legs!

Click for B-Movie reviews!
Old 12-20-2009, 05:43 PM
HDC Idol

Simon Says

Decided to check this out based on a surprisingly good review in Rue Morgue Magazine. I didn't realize, however, that the glowing review was purely from a fanboy perspective. Essentially, if you're a fan of 80s horror and want to see an homage to a T (as opposed to an ironic homage/parody that you see in My Bloody Valentine 3D), watch this film. For me, however, it just didn't do it. Not even Crispin Glover could save it.

Just unwatchable.

.5/5.

Asylum

After the unsatisfying Simon Says, we decided to peruse Netflix instant and finally watch this film that had been sitting in the queue for quite some time. Quite frankly, I'm a HUGE sucker for movies having to do with old asylums, twisted science, and the like, but this was more of a co-ed pop horror film looking to catch the Scream audience. All characters are caricatures and there wasn't a whole lot of old-timey asylum torture, which is usually what gets me going. Sarah Roemer is a refreshingly hot scream queen, however. It was good to see her out of a cheerleader movie and back into horror.

Regardless of its faults, I still watched it at least.

2/5.

Dead Air

Since this movie was brought up during a discussion of Pontypool, I figured that I'd check it out. I like Bill Mosely and I was honestly curious in terms of two REALLY similar infection movies coming out at the same time.

I have to say, though, I was disappointed. Whereas Pontypool was definitely creepy, suspenseful, and even delightfully gory at times, Dead Air seemed to be just that; air devoid of anything, including tension, suspense, or horror. Also, the "reason" was absolutely lame and contrived.

To tell you the truth, I fell asleep. I didn't even finish this movie. And have no desire to go back to it.

1/5.

Surveillance

It's not quite a surprise that Lynch's latest Production enterprise is one of the more tense movies that I have seen in a long, long time. Written and directed by his daughter, Jennifer Lynch, Surveillance has all the makes of an intense murder mystery/thriller as you, the audience member, are walked through the events that eventually lead up to the crimes that are being solved. But, of course, it's not your everyday murder mystery.

Definitely more linear and less absurd than Lynch's usual fare, Surveillance is a brilliant character piece that definitely had me on the edge of my seat at times... No, not in a scared way, but in a cringing sort of way... A good cringing sort of way. The reveal is a little hokey, but the end is so well constructed that you forgive it almost immediately.

I would say that this is a must-see for genre fans.

4.5/5.

Up

First off, I have a few grievances to air:

Why, Pixar, WHY do you orchestrate your advertising in such a way as to REPEL me from your feature films? Cars had me believe that it was nothing but redneck drag-racing fare and here with Up I couldn't understand WHY a grumpy old man and a cherubic rube would cause me to run out to the theater... This is the second time that I have had no desire to see a Pixar film at the movies that I honestly wished I had!

Up was amazing! It was funny without being pandering. It was tear-jerking without being manipulative. And it was absolutely STUNNING without a flaw. Easily one of my Top 3 Films of 2009, Up has a little for everyone... From cartoonish antics that made me giggle to whimsical fantasies that made me smile and sigh, to genuine characters who made me cry... It's been a while since I've felt so sad/happy/inspired by a single film, and Up did just that. It's fun, adventurous, and absolutely charming. HIGHLY recommend it.

5/5.

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 12-20-2009, 06:48 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via AIM to The Mothman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angra View Post
"Paul Blart: Mall Cop" 2-3/10

Just come to realize Kevin James isn't funny outside of Queens..
He's got a pretty good stand-up routine.

Click for B-Movie reviews!
Old 12-20-2009, 07:37 PM
For Vendetta

Went to see Avatar again last night with my wife.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:40 PM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by _____V_____ View Post
Went to see Avatar again last night with my wife.
I am actually REALLY excited to see this movie.

HOWEVER

The boyfriend wants to go see it with me AND HIS WHOLE FAMILY. :mad:

I've complained about going to the movies with his family. His father and brother talk the whole time. And his brother is one of the most unpleasant, angry, cynical people that I've met in my life (and this is coming from ME).

So I REALLY WANT TO SEE IT... But the desire is bitter sweet, unfortunately. :(

Anyway. Glad that you enjoyed it X2!

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 12-20-2009, 07:45 PM
For Vendetta

It is an unforgettable experience. You wouldn't want to get distracted when the film is in full swing. Hopefully he changes his mind. You are gonna get blown away, Chrono...just remember not to be over-critical. :)
Old 12-20-2009, 10:24 PM
Get ahold of yourself.

Send a message via AIM to massacre man
Suicide Club
Old 12-21-2009, 01:34 AM
Innsmouth Swim Team Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post
I've complained about going to the movies with his family. His father and brother talk the whole time.
Christ I hate ppl like that with a passion..

Must check out surveillance..