Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Games

Old 10-24-2020, 11:52 PM
Evil Dead

Thumbs up Resident Evil is utter bull crap now...

I've been a fan of the long running Resident Evil franchise since the late 90's, or maybe since 2000. Well, I can't quite remember what age I was when I started with the RE franchise, but I just know I was at least 14 when I got into the series.

For my disclaimer... I don't care if anybody recommends the RE2 remake. That game isn't even a faithful remake. It's essentially garbage that was made for slupers and corporate shills that don't care about the legacy of the franchise. That game sucks ass, plain and simple. Even The Darkside Chronicles in 2009 remade RE2 better than that pile of modern day, cow dung did.

Leon Kennedy looks like a certain Canadian pop star, and they removed so many enemies, locations, and whatnot. The zombies serve as bullet sponges that absorb your bullets. It is just a bad game overall. And it didn't have to be that way, had Capcom treated it with the TLC it deserved. Capcom clearly just phoned in their crap, yet again.

They replaced the weeds in the laboratory section with zombies covered in vegetation. What the hell? Also, the Tyrant with the hat in RE2 that is referred to as Mr. X actually acted like Nemesis, while Nemesis (who is generally considered the best RE boss type mutation, or whatever) hardly showed up at all outside of the scripted parts. Plus, Jill was just so obnoxious sounding, and there wasn't even a canonical cameo appearance from Barry Burton either. Honestly, it's so lame.

There's only one real remake. That's Shinji Mikami's magnum opus, obviously. Everything else does not even come close to that. But would he ever work for Capcom again? Nah. He knows how they are, so I don't blame the guy for running like the wind to avoid their pretentious, money hungry butts.

The original Resident Evil 2 was the first one I played. When I was 16, I bought a GameCube and a PS2 in the same year. I've still got the PS2 that I purchased on Christmas Eve, way back in 2002. The remake is the quintessential Resident Evil experience, in my opinion, and NOT the overrated RE4 - which is just dog poop. Now I wouldn't say that RE4 is particularly awful as a game in general, but... I simply hate it as a Resident Evil game, because it really isn't connected to the plot established in the prior games, all that much. But hey, I'll cover all of that stuff soon in this rant, as it were.

So um, the franchise is a mess these days. Really. It's a big mess. Besides the watered down "remakes" of 2 and 3, they've did all this bland trash as well. Now Capcom are getting kind of lazy and they're outsourcing their games. Which could be simply because they are busy, but they just turn out terrible either way. There's no point in remaking RE4, but that's already supposedly the case.

I don't know how anybody can say RE4 is a real RE game. There's nothing RE about it, save for three returning characters and um, the fact it has RE in the name. It's a stupid game where you pick up jewels, cash and bullets from pretty much every backwoods hick that you kill. It's not really RE in my eyes. It's another dumb and repetitive action shooter, with linear gameplay. They also killed the original RE storyline more or less, because they announce at the start of the game that Umbrella was put out of business when people learned about what happened with Raccoon City, and sundry.

Another thing that annoys me a lot (and no doubt other fans too) is that Capcom has some sort of obsession with the year 1998. Whether it's developing bad remakes or horrendous side story games, 1998 can never truly die off. But I think it absolutely needs to. Otherwise, they'll be stuck in 1998 forever. I'm sure they would prefer it that way, though, considering anything with Raccoon City gets all the fanboys super excited. But it's really quite annoying.

Now as to games that I do like...

Code: Veronica looks amazing on the Dreamcast. Seriously, the Dreamcast was sadly a very underrated console that came and went like nobody's business. Claire was awesome in that game, and the villains were totally weird perhaps, but that made them so memorable. You had Albert Wesker out for payback against Chris, and those two siblings had ties with Umbrella's founder. The one that was like a transvestite and his sister, who became that naked chick that could throw bloody fire, made for two brilliant baddies in one very lengthy game. And despite not being a numbered sequel, it was more RE than even RE6 was at the time it got released. To me, RE5 and 6 continued that boring trend of copying Gears of War.

There's also Revelations 2. That game is cool. I think they copied The Last of Us though. They stole pretty much all of the ideas and story aspects from Naughty Dog. There's even a part where you fight this massive thing that sort of looks like a Bloater, and you have to hunt rabbits in the winter as well. It's a really cool game, but that doesn't change the fact that Capcom enjoys copying other people's ideas.

7: Biohazard to me felt like a cheap horror indie game. Chris did not look like Chris at all. In fact, I feel like they just kind of shoehorned him in, so that it seemed like RE. But outside of the minor links, that really didn't make it RE at all. Ethan Winters is actually returning in Resident Evil Village, as is Chris. But at least now, Chris actually looks like Chris again. And so, yeah. People blamed the RE Engine. However, I'm gonna have to say that Capcom just screwed up. You know? They love our money, but they divided the fans a long time ago with this BS approach to gaming.

So are you excited about the new CGI Netflix series, besides the next sequel? Personally, I think Chris won't be in much of the game, but they know Ethan is a dull character. After all, you don't even really get to see what this dude looks like. I'd like that to change, but Capcom is always gonna be Capcom. Right?

If you want a great horror experience that is played out in third person, try The Evil Within 2 and Days Gone. Those games are brilliant...

Oh... and this is guy is comedy gold - but at least he knows what great gaming is all about!

Last edited by Peter A; 10-25-2020 at 12:00 AM.
Old 10-25-2020, 03:24 PM
I kick ass for the lord!

i beat them all, re3 remake being last, I personally love every entry of the resident evil series, but I can see how its a hit or miss for others
Old 10-25-2020, 04:07 PM
That fucking Guy...

I go one further on this.

I haven't liked the series since Code Veronica.
For as much love as RE4 gets, I just hate hate hate that over the shoulder crap, the whole game feels more sluggish than it should and just felt like a different game.

Code Veronica and RE 0 were in my mind a great evolution to the franchise that didn't feel seperated from it to me, changed the perspective a little and made it a bit more towards 3D...but how the game worked and the story played out felt at home.

I kind of feel about RE4+ the same way I felt about the new "God of War', I'm sure it's a good game, but it wasn't what I wanted as a legacy fan...things to need to change and evolve, but IMO not THAT much...you lose what you've built on.
Old 10-25-2020, 04:56 PM
Evil Dead

Exclamation

I can see why people think Gears of War inspired RE6. Seriously. After what I seen on Google, yes. RE6 copied that series.

Even on Wikipedia, RE5 and 6 are NOT referred to as survival horror games, and rightfully so.
Old 10-25-2020, 06:47 PM
No, fuck YOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheebacheeba View Post
I go one further on this.

I haven't liked the series since Code Veronica.
For as much love as RE4 gets, I just hate hate hate that over the shoulder crap, the whole game feels more sluggish than it should and just felt like a different game.

Code Veronica and RE 0 were in my mind a great evolution to the franchise that didn't feel seperated from it to me, changed the perspective a little and made it a bit more towards 3D...but how the game worked and the story played out felt at home.

I kind of feel about RE4+ the same way I felt about the new "God of War', I'm sure it's a good game, but it wasn't what I wanted as a legacy fan...things to need to change and evolve, but IMO not THAT much...you lose what you've built on.
BOYYYYY!!!
Old 10-26-2020, 12:55 AM
I kick ass for the lord!

code veronica was awesome! I remember being stuck near the end with barely a green herb, scraping my way through to that final boss, i loved the cinematics in that. There are so many different types of threats in the re universe, in zero with those leeches, or in re remake with lisa trevor....
Old 10-26-2020, 02:09 AM
No, fuck YOU

I didn’t like it very much. More action than horror, just like the movies.
Old 10-26-2020, 02:20 PM
Evil Dead

Red face

Maybe they could incorporate first person for spin off games. Although it had to have happened eventually for the main games, if even just for one or a few games, I do think that perspective is better suited for having in side story games. The spin off games are basically the 'experimental side' of the franchise, in my view. So that's something Capcom could focus on in the future.

But my God, people. Didn't 7: Biohazard really try to be The Texas Chain Saw Massacre in video game form? Jack Baker was like the Sawyer father figure guy. Ha-ha.

I'm glad they corrected Chris Redfield, though. He looked NOTHING like Chris in that game. The thing with him being with both the BSAA and 'Blue Umbrella' is pretty dumb too. Why would Chris have anything to do with the Umbrella name in general? After all, the guy literally ended Umbrella and dealt with the aftermath of their crimes in multiple missions. That's some BS writing there, Capcom. You may wanna fix that, quickly. But other than that, thanks for correcting his face in Resident Evil Village, ONLY because the fans called you out over that. The RE Engine could improve.
Old 10-26-2020, 02:43 PM
No, fuck YOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter A View Post

But my God, people. Didn't 7: Biohazard really try to be The Texas Chain Saw Massacre in video game form? Jack Baker was like the Sawyer father figure guy. Ha-ha.

:
Yes, that was by far the best part of the game. Great characters and it felt fresh and original game wise.
Old 10-26-2020, 02:44 PM
No, fuck YOU

Also, it was creepy as fuck in VR.