Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Books & Fiction Writing
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-05-2007, 11:27 AM
A Bane hiding in Nyx

Send a message via ICQ to Spectrum Send a message via AIM to Spectrum Send a message via MSN to Spectrum
Question Recommend me some epic horror books

Hello. This is my first post here.

I am a fan of epic fantasy and dark fantasy stories. I have read some stuff from the more horrific end of fantasy, and now I want to read something from the fantastic end of the horror genre.

This is in part just for the reading pleasure, and in part because I am looking for inspiration for my own writing. What I am writing is some very dark, epic fantasy in a medieval-style high fantasy setting.

The kind of stories I prefer are long-winded epic ones with a load of background/setting/world/mythology. I have always found the overall setting/background more interesting than characters and story alone, but those are of course also important elements. I also prefer things with a really dark, evil world view where good does not triumph in the end (although of course I don't want that kind of spoilers in this thread).

I haven't read much horror fiction, so the only good example of what I am looking for is the whole Cthulhu Mythos world by H.P. Lovecraft and others (although that is quite fragmented - I would prefer a more coherent story).

Can anyone recommend some books or (preferably) series that match this? Thanks.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:43 PM
Author

Books I consider epic horror, though they are only a single volume:

The Stand by Stephen King

Swan Song by Robert R. McCammon

I assume you are familiar with Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series (not horror but fantasy of course)...
Old 07-05-2007, 03:24 PM
A Bane hiding in Nyx

Send a message via ICQ to Spectrum Send a message via AIM to Spectrum Send a message via MSN to Spectrum
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horror_Writer View Post
Books I consider epic horror, though they are only a single volume:

The Stand by Stephen King

Swan Song by Robert R. McCammon
Thanks, I'll look into these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horror_Writer View Post
I assume you are familiar with Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series (not horror but fantasy of course)...
Yes, I know Wheel of Time. I've read the first ten books and am working on the eleventh. It's good (tho it sucks in certain aspects), and it's among my sources of inspiration, but it's not remotely what I am looking for in this thread. WOT is not dark fantasy, not even remotely. It's bright fantasy. Bob Jordan doesn't even have the guts to kill off a single major character, for F's sake! (BTW, can I say the "F-word" on this forum?)
Old 07-05-2007, 03:41 PM
Waste Disposer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectrum View Post
(BTW, can I say the "F-word" on this forum?)
yes and use it with wild abandon:cool:
Old 07-06-2007, 03:42 AM
A Bane hiding in Nyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by novakru View Post
yes and use it with wild abandon:cool:
LOL, OK, thanks, I will.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:31 AM
Evil Dead

Send a message via MSN to jenna26
The Stand and Swan Song are good recommendations.

Also I would recommend Imajica by Clive Barker and The Great and Secret Show by Barker.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:02 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
The kind of stories I prefer are long-winded epic ones with a load of background/setting/world/mythology.
Alot of King's books would fit the bill. Three of his best would be:

The Dark Tower series (7 books, over 4,000 pages)
The Stand uncut version (around 1200 pages)
It (around 1,200 pages)

Someone else mentioned Imajica by Clive Barker. It is a good read.

If you pick up all four of these, then that should keep your horror/fantasy appetite satisfied for a few months. ;)
Old 07-07-2007, 01:03 PM
A Bane hiding in Nyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unaboner3000 View Post
The Dark Tower series (7 books, over 4,000 pages)
Ugh... I tried to read this one. I got halfway through the Gunslinger before I gave up. I found it extremely uninteresting. :(

Still, thanks for the replies. I'll check out the other ones.
Old 07-07-2007, 01:30 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectrum
Ugh... I tried to read this one. I got halfway through the Gunslinger before I gave up. I found it extremely uninteresting.
The first book is really slow, but not a long read. The second book Drawing of the Three is fantastic. Alot of action. You'll be glad you forced your way through the first book when you get to the second.
Old 07-07-2007, 01:35 PM
A Bane hiding in Nyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unaboner3000 View Post
The first book is really slow, but not a long read. The second book Drawing of the Three is fantastic. Alot of action. You'll be glad you forced your way through the first book when you get to the second.
Hm, yeah, OK, I may give it another try some time. But I'll read some of the other things first.