Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Latest Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-14-2014, 05:24 AM
No, fuck YOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by horcrux2007 View Post
How could it not? I laughed during quite a few scenes, and I've read pretty much everywhere that it's a horror comedy. Maybe it's not as tongue-in-cheek (and dumb) as Army of Darkness, but I still think it was a horror comedy.
It is.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:33 AM
Evil is Better

Quote:
How could it not? I laughed during quite a few scenes, and I've read pretty much everywhere that it's a horror comedy. Maybe it's not as tongue-in-cheek (and dumb) as Army of Darkness, but I still think it was a horror comedy.
To me it wasn't. Just my opinion. I didn't get the feeling that the intent of the movie was to be funny as is the point of a comedy. It didnt come across as a comedy. To me it was a horror movie with some parts that made you laugh. Nothing about that movie made me laugh though. It wasn't silly, it took itself seriously and was trying to be scary plus it had a dark ending and not a silly one. I don't see how anyone could say its a comedy.

Last edited by The Villain; 10-14-2014 at 05:36 AM.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:12 AM
Midnight toker

I'd definitely say it was a horror comedy. It has a ton of scenes that are played for laughs and plenty of scenes that are in the classic Raimi slapstick style. Half of what Raimi does in horror is a nod to The Three Stooges.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:48 AM
Evil is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straker View Post
I'd definitely say it was a horror comedy. It has a ton of scenes that are played for laughs and plenty of scenes that are in the classic Raimi slapstick style. Half of what Raimi does in horror is a nod to The Three Stooges.
That's why I don't think it's a horror comedy. To me it was just his style, not a comedic tone to the movie. There's laughable scenes but it just doesn't play like a comedy.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:03 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Villain View Post
That's why I don't think it's a horror comedy. To me it was just his style, not a comedic tone to the movie. There's laughable scenes but it just doesn't play like a comedy.
If another director had directed that film, would it be a horror comedy then?

Last edited by horcrux2007; 10-14-2014 at 10:05 AM.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:21 AM
Evil is Better

Quote:
If another director had directed that film, would it be a horror comedy then?
No because like I said it doesn't play like one. its intent isn't to be funny. The fact that there's a few humorous scenes doesn't make it a comedy. Lots of horror movies have humorous moments for levity but that doesn't make it a comedy.

Shaun of The Dead, Tucker and Dale vs. Evil, Army of Darkness, Hide and Creep. Those are horror comedies. Movies that act as both horror and comedy not just a horror movie with a few funny moments thrown in.

Old 10-14-2014, 11:55 AM
Evil Dead

The ones you mentored are pretty much the opposite of Drag Me to Hell. They're comedies with some horror aspects. It doesn't matter how much comedy is in the film as long as it's prevalent and more than just one instance. Hell, I found no horror in the movies you listed, so how could those possibly be horror comedies?
Old 10-14-2014, 12:07 PM
Evil is Better

Quote:
The ones you mentored are pretty much the opposite of Drag Me to Hell. They're comedies with some horror aspects. It doesn't matter how much comedy is in the film as long as it's prevalent and more than just one instance. Hell, I found no horror in the movies you listed, so how could those possibly be horror comedies?
It does matter how much comedy is in the film. If its a comedy the tone will reflect that throughout and the same goes for horror. If a movie having some comedy made it one then every movie would be a comedy. Those movies tone reflect comedy and horror. Those movies feature gruesome effects and depicts people in scary situations as do the others and three of them involve supernatural beings and all play up on horror tropes. Cabin in The Woods is another example of a horror comedy. That's why those movies are horror.

Drag Me To Hell has some scenes that might make people laugh but its tone reflects a horror movie throughout.

Just because a movie makes you laugh it doesn't make it a comedy. If I laughed during the scene where Regan throws up on the priests would that make The Exorcist a comedy?

If I laughed at Michael Myers under the sheet does that make Halloween a comedy?

I know I have a strict sense of what makes a horror comedy but to me its just logic.

Old 10-14-2014, 12:13 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Villain View Post
It does matter how much comedy is in the film. If its a comedy the tone will reflect that throughout and the same goes for horror. If a movie having some comedy made it one then every movie would be a comedy. Those movies tone reflect comedy and horror. Those movies feature gruesome effects and depicts people in scary situations as do the others and three of them involve supernatural beings and all play up on horror tropes. Cabin in The Woods is another example of a horror comedy. That's why those movies are horror.

Drag Me To Hell has some scenes that might make people laugh but its tone reflects a horror movie throughout.

Just because a movie makes you laugh it doesn't make it a comedy. If I laughed during the scene where Regan throws up on the priests would that make The Exorcist a comedy?

If I laughed at Michael Myers under the sheet does that make Halloween a comedy?

I know I have a strict sense of what makes a horror comedy but to me its just logic.
It has to be intentionally funny. Why would we be talking about unintentional comedy when it never came up in the conversation before? I get the bolded part now, though.

And one last thing: I hardly found comedy in Cabin in the Woods.

Last edited by _____V_____; 10-14-2014 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Splitting posts.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:37 PM
Evil is Better

Quote:
It has to be intentionally funny. Why would we be talking about unintentional comedy when it never came up in the conversation before? I get the bolded part now, though.

And one last thing: I hardly found comedy in Cabin in the Woods.
Because I didn't find anything intentionally funny in Drag Me To Hell.

To further my argument:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2014-10-14-16-08-19.jpg (24.2 KB, 0 views)

Tags
drag me to hell