Old 06-24-2018, 12:42 AM
Evil Dead

THE MOST DANGEROUS GAME (1932). Very taut brisk film based on the excellent Richard Connell short story. Neat seeing sets and hearing sounds used in KING KONG which was being filmed at the same time as well as seeing Robert Armstrong, Noble Johnson and the immortal Fay Wray who were also in KK. ****
Old 06-24-2018, 11:31 AM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryeDwight View Post
THE MOST DANGEROUS GAME (1932). Very taut brisk film based on the excellent Richard Connell short story. Neat seeing sets and hearing sounds used in KING KONG which was being filmed at the same time as well as seeing Robert Armstrong, Noble Johnson and the immortal Fay Wray who were also in KK. ****
Cool picture. Got to love those movement shots through the jungle. Did you notice that shot where the camera starts at the top of the staircase and goes down to a close up of the villain's face?... was it just me, or was that shot a bumpy ride?

Old 06-24-2018, 08:02 PM
ventricle

The Scarlet Claw (1944)
8/10

Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce, as Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson, try to solve a case in which it appears a creature has killed livestock and now a woman.

As with many Holmes' films, and as with this series, the film's plot and motivations are rather convoluted, shot out faster than comprehendible, and often ridiculous. It's about the ride, and the film has good pace and is effectively shot. If you're like myself, preferring mysteries where one can make deductions and follow the leads along with the detective, than this film is not likely to satisfy that itch.

Notable in the series, this film makes very poor use of Holmes' partner Dr Watson. Watson does not help Holmes, not even in the fun accidental way this series sometimes offers: where Watson will say something that brings an answer to Holmes' mind. Rather in this film, Watson might as well not exist, and rather than being often humours is much more a nuisance and annoying.

Old 06-25-2018, 01:24 PM
Rotten Stinky Zombie

I watched a little bit of White Zombie and I didn't really like it. I guess I'm just not a big fan of Hollywood Voodoo because they always make voodoo out to be some dark and evil thing and if you have ever been to places like New Orleans you would know that some people are deeply offended by that.

Give me George Romero's Night of the Living Dead zombies over White Zombie's zombies any day.
Old 06-26-2018, 05:05 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvablePsycho View Post
I watched a little bit of White Zombie and I didn't really like it. I guess I'm just not a big fan of Hollywood Voodoo because they always make voodoo out to be some dark and evil thing and if you have ever been to places like New Orleans you would know that some people are deeply offended by that.

Give me George Romero's Night of the Living Dead zombies over White Zombie's zombies any day.
I still haven't seen it. I'm afraid it will be too slow and boring.

Old 06-26-2018, 05:17 PM
Rotten Stinky Zombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
I still haven't seen it. I'm afraid it will be too slow and boring.
It really wasn't scary in fact it was actually a bit silly. I think the only reason it gets any praise is because it is technically considered the first "zombie" movie.
Old 06-30-2018, 07:51 AM
Evil Dead

1940s movie

I see that Comcast is showing "House of Dracula" today. TV doesn't show that movie very much. John Carradine is pretty classy as Count Dracula in that movie.

I don't know what the girl is playing in the scene where she's playing the piano, but it's something classical.
Old 06-30-2018, 06:24 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by idoneus1957 View Post
I see that Comcast is showing "House of Dracula" today. TV doesn't show that movie very much. John Carradine is pretty classy as Count Dracula in that movie.

I don't know what the girl is playing in the scene where she's playing the piano, but it's something classical.
I sure do. She (the nurse) starts off playing Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata (which is one of the best piano pieces ever) and then it gets good... or evil, according to the film, Dracula causes her to play music from a piece from Dracula's netherworld. It's the best scene in the film, it's done really well. I don't know who the composer is, but he morphs the tune into a scary dark psychedelic piano piece, meant to evoke the netherworld. I used that scene in my "Piano" show, one of my radioshow eps.

Old 07-02-2018, 11:53 PM
Evil Dead

SULLIVAN'S TRAVELS (1941). Director of escapist films wants to do a serious picture and dressed as a Hobo, decides to see how the other half lives. These experiences teach him that escapism is often not a bad thing and how a small kindness can mean everything.
Very good Preston Sturges film-certainly better than his 1948 UNFAITHFULLY YOURS-with many fine performances, pathos and decent laughs. Joel McRea (THE MOST DANGEROUS GAME, FOREIGN CORRESPONDENT , RIDE THE HIGH COUNTRY) and lovely Veronica Lake (I MARRIED A WITCH, THIS GUN FOR HIRE) have wonderful chemistry, but have read they did not get along at all, so kudos to their acting. ****
Old 07-06-2018, 08:11 AM
Evil Dead

then don't see this movie

If you don't like movies that are too slow moving, don't watch The Mummy (the original.) I like these old movies, and even I thought it was too slow moving. Maybe it's because the director, Karl Freund, started out as a cinematographer.

Hee hee! For an unusual take on The Mummy, try to find a copy of Russell Baker's essay "The Well-bred Mummy."