#36251  
Old 01-26-2012, 08:26 AM
fortunato's Avatar
fortunato fortunato is offline
mostly ghostly?
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Green Hill Zone
Posts: 6,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by roshiq View Post


>> Caché aka Hidden (2005): B+
I really like this film. There's such a growing intensity that is masterfully handled throughout. And that one scene...you know which one...yikes.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #36252  
Old 01-26-2012, 09:00 AM
roshiq's Avatar
roshiq roshiq is offline
Pirate of Bengal


 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Dhaka
Posts: 8,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerfan View Post
The Sting is one of my favorite movies!!
My first time viewing & absolutely loved it, though expected some more screen time on Paul Newman's character.:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearonsarms View Post
Blood Runs Cold (2011)
Atmospheric gory and gritty slasher. Quite a simple film really but sometimes the simple things work really well and it certainly does here. Solid stuff. The thing is how the lead characters seem much more real and well rounded than in most recent horror it was refreshing, they were believable with enough development for you to sympathize with.
Yeah...it's a pretty decent slasher indeed but I was bit disappointed with the ending. But I agree, as an indie effort it was quite well done overall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortunato View Post
Caché aka Hidden

I really like this film. There's such a growing intensity that is masterfully handled throughout. And that one scene...you know which one...yikes.
Oh, yeah...loved that scene:D

Though I haven't seen much of Michael Haneke film (only both versions of Funny Games, White Ribbon and this one) but I really like the way he does it in his movies...slowly building up the tension & manipulating it through characterization and particularly his thought provoking treatment of a seemingly ordinary story.
Reply With Quote
  #36253  
Old 01-26-2012, 09:51 AM
Fearonsarms's Avatar
Fearonsarms Fearonsarms is offline
From The Beyond
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Gates Of Hell
Posts: 3,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortunato View Post
I really like this film. There's such a growing intensity that is masterfully handled throughout. And that one scene...you know which one...yikes.
Oh Hidden what an awesome film-if either you or Roshiq haven't seen The Piano Teacher yet you definitely should my personal fave Haneke film. It isn't horror but is so seriously messed up it's astounding. Sorry Roshiq I despised The White Ribbon but the original Funny Games was very good if a little pretentious but nowhere near as pretentious as The White Ribbon.
__________________
"The wind that would have killed us both, it saves my life"-Bel Canto

Last edited by Fearonsarms; 01-26-2012 at 09:52 AM. Reason: spelling as always
Reply With Quote
  #36254  
Old 01-26-2012, 12:54 PM
fortunato's Avatar
fortunato fortunato is offline
mostly ghostly?
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Green Hill Zone
Posts: 6,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by roshiq View Post
Though I haven't seen much of Michael Haneke film (only both versions of Funny Games, White Ribbon and this one) but I really like the way he does it in his movies...slowly building up the tension & manipulating it through characterization and particularly his thought provoking treatment of a seemingly ordinary story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearonsarms View Post
Oh Hidden what an awesome film-if either you or Roshiq haven't seen The Piano Teacher yet you definitely should my personal fave Haneke film. It isn't horror but is so seriously messed up it's astounding. Sorry Roshiq I despised The White Ribbon but the original Funny Games was very good if a little pretentious but nowhere near as pretentious as The White Ribbon.
Oh yes, I love The Piano Teacher. Isabelle Huppert's performance in that film is one of my all-time favorites, for sure. Roshiq, I would definitely seek out The Piano Teacher. Like fearsonarms said, it's really an astounding film.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #36255  
Old 01-26-2012, 02:54 PM
The Villain's Avatar
The Villain The Villain is offline
Evil is Better

 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Your Nightmares
Posts: 6,708
The Help


This is a very touching, thoughtful and funny movie. I really liked it and thought the performances were great. I don't think it will win the Oscar for Best Picture though. Given the subject matter, i don't think it was heavy and serious enough for it to be chosen but it's still very good nonetheless.
Reply With Quote
  #36256  
Old 01-26-2012, 09:19 PM
_____V_____'s Avatar
_____V_____ _____V_____ is offline
A *new* Covenant
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 31,676


By far the best Underworld sequel, and quite refreshing to see the storyline veer towards a new direction. Go see it.

* * * ½
__________________
"If you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Reply With Quote
  #36257  
Old 01-26-2012, 09:24 PM
Bob Gray's Avatar
Bob Gray Bob Gray is offline
Demon from Ago
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Where they all float
Posts: 621
I just rewatched a couple Argento movies, Deep Red and Suspiria, love his movies. Argento seems like a pretty arrogant fellow and that would usually be enough to turn me off of someone but his movies are so good I just can't quit watching them.
Reply With Quote
  #36258  
Old 01-27-2012, 06:25 AM
Straker's Avatar
Straker Straker is offline
Midnight toker
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Across the pond.
Posts: 2,244
NEDS(2010): Gritty, violent drama about a boy growing up in 70's Glasgow, directed by Peter Mullan.... Decent film, not as hard hitting or layered as something like This is England or Trainspotting but a solid story and some decent acting, worth a watch.
Reply With Quote
  #36259  
Old 01-27-2012, 07:28 AM
Angra's Avatar
Angra Angra is offline
No, fuck YOU


 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Right behind you!!!
Posts: 15,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by _____V_____ View Post


By far the best Underworld sequel, and quite refreshing to see the storyline veer towards a new direction. Go see it.

* * * ½

No. I wont!!

It's Twilight with action. It's GAY!
__________________


I'm right. It's the rest of the world that's wrong.
Reply With Quote
  #36260  
Old 01-27-2012, 11:39 AM
Bob Gray's Avatar
Bob Gray Bob Gray is offline
Demon from Ago
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Where they all float
Posts: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Straker View Post
NEDS(2010): Gritty, violent drama about a boy growing up in 70's Glasgow, directed by Peter Mullan.... Decent film, not as hard hitting or layered as something like This is England or Trainspotting but a solid story and some decent acting, worth a watch.
I don't think I've seen This is England, what is it about?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:47 PM.