Old 03-16-2019, 11:44 PM
Evil Dead

BLOODY BIRTHDAY (1981). Not bad little film about three rotten little kids pulling off nefarious acts on many of the cast members, due to Astrological happenings. Decent cast has Julie Brown ( the other JB on MTV and also known for "The Homecoming Queen's Got a Gun") doing some nudity and also a small part for Jane Geer who played an older woman in a SUPERNATURAL episode who gropes Sam so insistantly that her fingerprints are still there!

Has comparisons to 1980's THE CHILDREN, but I think this one is a little better, even if the soundtrack music sounds a lot like FRIDAY THE 13th. **1/2
Old 03-17-2019, 10:08 AM
病気の

Night of Fear, 1972. 7,5/10

Director: Terry Bourke

Old 03-17-2019, 03:18 PM
病気の

Demonoid, 1980. 7/10

Director: Alfredo Zacarķas

Old 03-18-2019, 11:24 PM
Evil Dead

HOLOCAUST (1978). One of the many "Mini-Series" or "Big Events" shown on TV during the 70's about the experiences of two German families with a link during 1935-45, a wee to do Jewish family and a young lawyer who joins the SS because he needs employment.
There has been criticism over the year-some justified, some not-that the series is too disjointed, too violent, not violent enough, too much nudity (during a time when THREE'S COMPANY and SOAP were considered risque) too soap operish.
Myself, I think it's an ambitious undertaking seeing WW2 had only been over for 30 years or so and for some survivors and their families, emotions could still be raw. I'm not sure if the average person was familiar with Kristallnacht, T4 program or Babi Yar and these are shown here. While the scenes involving murder are chilling, they do look sort of sanitized, but consider how much more violent TV and films have become since then. Scenes in WAR AND REMEMBRANCE a decade later truly upped the ante from HOLOCAUST.
A stellar cast, especially Michael Moriarty, Fritz Weaver, Tovah Feldshuh (THE WALKING DEAD's DeAnna), David Warner, Ian Holm, a young Meryl Streep and James Woods playing against type as a sensitive heroic artist. And I know it isn't him, but when our protagonist enters Prague, it sure looks like Peter Cushing in the street.
Worth seeing despite how "sanitized" it looks and the many historical errors, as well as the epic length, around 9 hours. ***1/2
Old 03-19-2019, 04:55 AM
This is a test

RAWHEAD REX 1986

Again...still love it.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:39 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryeDwight View Post
HOLOCAUST (1978). One of the many "Mini-Series" or "Big Events" shown on TV during the 70's about the experiences of two German families with a link during 1935-45, a wee to do Jewish family and a young lawyer who joins the SS because he needs employment.
There has been criticism over the year-some justified, some not-that the series is too disjointed, too violent, not violent enough, too much nudity (during a time when THREE'S COMPANY and SOAP were considered risque) too soap operish.
Myself, I think it's an ambitious undertaking seeing WW2 had only been over for 30 years or so and for some survivors and their families, emotions could still be raw. I'm not sure if the average person was familiar with Kristallnacht, T4 program or Babi Yar and these are shown here. While the scenes involving murder are chilling, they do look sort of sanitized, but consider how much more violent TV and films have become since then. Scenes in WAR AND REMEMBRANCE a decade later truly upped the ante from HOLOCAUST.
A stellar cast, especially Michael Moriarty, Fritz Weaver, Tovah Feldshuh (THE WALKING DEAD's DeAnna), David Warner, Ian Holm, a young Meryl Streep and James Woods playing against type as a sensitive heroic artist. And I know it isn't him, but when our protagonist enters Prague, it sure looks like Peter Cushing in the street.
Worth seeing despite how "sanitized" it looks and the many historical errors, as well as the epic length, around 9 hours. ***1/2
i vaguely remember it, but certain I saw it's premiere on TV (not that it was ever re-run). I think our school recommended children seeing it. If I watched a trailer, I'm sure it would all flood back to the surface.

I remember The Winds of War miniseries (1983) more clearly, and remember it as an excellent big budget production war drama with the prominent character being Robert Mitchum and his wife. The musical theme was intense and memorable, and I was very into the series, despite it's very adult themes. I would probably consider it the best modern war series I ever saw, though there really hasn't been a great number of them.

And I remember not caring for the War and Remembrance sequel miniseries. I seem to remember it was much more contrived, preachy and the relationships were shallow, certainly compared to the complexity of Winds.

Last edited by Sculpt; 03-19-2019 at 01:42 PM.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:29 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
i vaguely remember it, but certain I saw it's premiere on TV (not that it was ever re-run). I think our school recommended children seeing it. If I watched a trailer, I'm sure it would all flood back to the surface.

I remember The Winds of War miniseries (1983) more clearly, and remember it as an excellent big budget production war drama with the prominent character being Robert Mitchum and his wife. The musical theme was intense and memorable, and I was very into the series, despite it's very adult themes. I would probably consider it the best modern war series I ever saw, though there really hasn't been a great number of them.

And I remember not caring for the War and Remembrance sequel miniseries. I seem to remember it was much more contrived, preachy and the relationships were shallow, certainly compared to the complexity of Winds.
Both WOW and WAR were stellar, but I think the latter is better; just found Ali McGraw and Jan-Michael Vincent so incredibly annoying and although Hart Bochner wasn't any bargain either, think Jane Seymour was very good.

TALES FROM THE CRYPT (1972). Along with ASYLUM, my favorite Amicus production...so much fun and such a great cast. Do hate to see Peter Cushing's character suffer because of the little asshole across the street. Just feel a surge of adrenaline when "Little". gets his comeuppance.

Favorite story is "All Through the House"...Joan Collins was way hot during this period and she really carries it through. Found the "ATTH" from HBO to be all but unwatchable. ****
Old 03-27-2019, 12:15 AM
Evil Dead

SLAUGHTER (1972). Blaxploitation flick from AIP with big Jim Brown going after gangsters who killed his parents. Good for what it is with decent support from Rip Torn, Don Gordon and Stella Stevens who is strong in here with a capital S. Also, dig the funky Billy Preston title song! ***
Old 03-28-2019, 01:12 PM
This is a test

HUMANOIDS FROM THE DEEP 1980

I usually enjoy these cheesy movies but this was a stinker.
Old 03-28-2019, 05:45 PM
病気の

Opera, 1987. 8/10

Director: Dario Argento