Old 11-04-2003, 12:59 PM
Undead

Underground Hip Hop

I know people naturally think of rock as the leader of horrific lyrics and context, and I would agree. There are millions of acts out there glorifying the gruesome. However, there are a short supply of rap acts out there that do this, and even a shorter supply of those that do this well.

I speak from opinion only on this, but by far Pyschopathic record supplies the best selection of Horror Rap (at one time known as Horrocore).

Insane Clown Posse, although old school in their talent, started Psychopathic's Horror legacy with tales of a torturous Carnival that traveled the lands searching for the souls of the wicked. It was/is very colorful and very entertaining rap to listen to, ranging in stories of the how and why.

Twiztid is much more lyrically advanced than ICP, and come with a darker tone to them. They're relatively young at Pyschopathic, but bring an edge that combines Rap with Rock and even a little Industrial, all while tangling lyrics with tales of serial killing (axe and hatchet style), hell, the darkness, and the after life.

Blaze is possibly the most "gangsta" of the artists, still claiming to be fromt he streets and preferring an AK to a warhedge. The only difference between this guy and Snoop...this guy claims to have been dead for upwards of eleven years, making him the only gangsta zombie on the planet.

While rap may not be popular, good rap gets blended in with the generic MTV gangsta rap out there. If you are tired of hearing about the streets, Pyschopathic Records will deliver the beats laces with devilish lyrics like you wouldn't believe.
Old 11-04-2003, 01:35 PM
warprophet

Old 11-05-2003, 10:06 AM
Undead

Quote:
Originally posted by moonsorrow
Unfortunately, the technology does not yet exist where I can translate thoughts into periods, and vice versa. Until it does, I recommend the keyboard, which continues to have any character you would ever need to form a complete thought. Sure, it's old technology, but it's currently the standard.
Old 11-05-2003, 12:29 PM
warprophet

hmmm...rap sucks but fits well into many movies, i do however not see anny place for it in a horror movie.
Old 11-05-2003, 12:50 PM
Undead

Quote:
Originally posted by moonsorrow
hmmm...rap sucks but fits well into many movies, i do however not see anny place for it in a horror movie.
I here that a lot from guys that think they're scary.

It's unfortunate that what you may have heard in the past has lead you to where you are now (rap wise). And although you may not have ever thought about combining the two genres of rap and horror, maybe you should. After all, the underlying problem, which you stated yourself, is that you "do not see".

Besides, this thread wasn't so much about any movie, but rather the mixing of styles between horror and music.
Old 11-05-2003, 12:55 PM
warprophet

maby so, im a metal head myself as i hope you can see by both my title, my avatar (me) and my name (finnish powermetal)
and one thing i have in comong with most of my kind is a hate for rap, by all means love it im not judging you... i just like throwing my opinion around a bit.
Old 11-05-2003, 01:46 PM
Listen 2 Buckethead!

u guys should listen to bone thugs n harmony e1999 cd its bad ass and they talk about demons and murders they kall the devil Mr. Ouiji its tight
Old 11-05-2003, 04:11 PM
Evil Dead

I am a metal head (prefer death metal) but I do like some old horror rap stuff like : Body Count (EEEEEEEEEEEVIL DIIIIIIICK!!!!), and Gravediggaz (WRAP A ROPE AROUND YOUR NECK AND JERK IT OR BETTER YET GO HANG YOURSELF WITH A BARBWIRE!!) that is some classic fucking lyrics

those are the only two rap/rock shit I would say I like, and both are not together anymore..

I also like the song "momma`s gotta die tonight" by Body count

Fulci Lives!!!!
Old 11-10-2003, 05:49 AM
Undead

Opinions are respected and encouraged. Feel free to throw them as you see fit.

Body Count was Ice T's attempt at Horror Rap/Rock, and a successful one at that. But I gotta give kudos to mentioning "Gravediggaz". I too enjoyed that.

Another bit of history, Flatlinaz was a trio that was started by Hip-Hop mogul himself, Russel Simmons of Def Jam. It was his attempt that never made it too far at horror core rap. It was good though.

And finally, BONE does not count as horror rap. More like gospel gangsta, which is incredibly difficult to pull off.
Old 11-17-2003, 11:28 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via AIM to nightbreed
first of all

when icp dropped the 6th there was a 2 story billboard not 60 feet from my apartment. icp is about as underground as the columbine shootings. second icp would get pissed on by necro, tech9, and brotha lynch hung. horrorcore is a term used to describe a lame scene in detroit in the early 90's that used to be made up by house of krazees, icp, and esham. no one outside of detroit ever claimed horrorcore or used the word to describe their music. in terms of actualy underground hiphop itsall about atmosphere, asop rock, immortal technique, jedi mind tricks, cannibal ox, sage francis, etc. raaaaaaaaaaaaw skills. listen to these and youll see why icp arent as dope as you think they are.